ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick pay

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stewart1987
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Nov 2018, 19:36
Gender: Male

Sick pay

Post by Stewart1987 »

Hi. Phoned in sick this morning as my girlfriend had a seizure (she's getting better) I have a 6 month old baby so really couldn't leave her. I phoned in 15 mins before my shift starts. Will I still get a full days pay even if the reason for being off isnt because of me being sick?
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 173
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay

Post by panzer4 »

Stewart1987 wrote: ↑
01 May 2021, 09:05
Hi. Phoned in sick this morning as my girlfriend had a seizure (she's getting better) I have a 6 month old baby so really couldn't leave her. I phoned in 15 mins before my shift starts. Will I still get a full days pay even if the reason for being off isnt because of me being sick?
Good to hear she’s better.ask DOM if you can have special leave due to domestic distress
postman2014
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 00:15
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay

Post by postman2014 »

I would presume its classed as dependents leave so probably a day unpaid. And nothing on your record. But others will know for sure
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32803
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay

Post by POSTMAN »

I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Stewart1987
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Nov 2018, 19:36
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay

Post by Stewart1987 »

Thank you. I would imagine it comes under family emergency as there was little warning so one days paid? Ah well I'll soon see when I get my pay slip this week...
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay

Post by picture123 »

Unfortunately it's at your manager's discretion, if it is the first time you may strike lucky and get it paid, if it is a regular occurrence you'll be less likely
Simon Pettigrew
Posts: 12
Joined: 26 Sep 2019, 19:39
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay

Post by Simon Pettigrew »

Had same problem wife and daughter each admitted to hospital overnight so obvious myself up all night with them RM manager very good it was paid spl leave domestic emergency each one however I do have a good sick record maybe that's taken into account by manager dealing,
Stewart1987
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Nov 2018, 19:36
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay

Post by Stewart1987 »

Simon Pettigrew wrote: ↑
10 May 2021, 19:22
Had same problem wife and daughter each admitted to hospital overnight so obvious myself up all night with them RM manager very good it was paid spl leave domestic emergency each one however I do have a good sick record maybe that's taken into account by manager dealing,
Yeah I reckon having a good sick record influences whether a manager pays you or not. I managed to get my day off there paid but might not happen again