ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bullying/intimidation

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Bullying/intimidation

Post by Jamiechelt »

How best to deal with this from a manager? I absolutely dread going in nowadays. The guy acts super awkwardly and twists your words and makes you feel small. I'm fed up. Will a complaint make any difference or will he then be out to get me?

Anyone got any experiences?
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Numberone63 »

I think that’s how they get taught in Royal Mail management school. Just say yes and no in the right places, smile and do you best in the shift time that you have. A nice young lady from our office left after a few months posting to be assimilated into a manager. She is a regular stand in back here now and is pretty much as you describe. We are just the workers bees. Let them worry about all the rest of it.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Dorset Plodder »

We all know Bullying takes many forms. Check out the Stickies, this subject has arisen many times. :no no

If you're not a very outspoken person, or the quiet unassuming type, it's too easy to let this bullying continue because you feel unable to do anything about it.

The general consus on most of the posts I've read, concerning Harassment & Bullying, is to phone the help line. There is one I'm sure someone on here can provide a link. It's nothing to do with the usual chain of management so I believe that's a better option. :thumbup

No idea how effective it is, although with this New CEO trying to improve everything you might get a better response nowadays. Main Thing DON'T GET STRESSED OVER IT! Good luck :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Jamiechelt »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2021, 09:18
We all know Bullying takes many forms. Check out the Stickies, this subject has arisen many times. :no no

If you're not a very outspoken person, or the quiet unassuming type, it's too easy to let this bullying continue because you feel unable to do anything about it.

The general consus on most of the posts I've read, concerning Harassment & Bullying, is to phone the help line. There is one I'm sure someone on here can provide a link. It's nothing to do with the usual chain of management so I believe that's a better option. :thumbup

No idea how effective it is, although with this New CEO trying to improve everything you might get a better response nowadays. Main Thing DON'T GET STRESSED OVER IT! Good luck :cuppa
Thank you. I'd love that link. Just need to see what can be done. I am.the quiet type, very peaceful. I dont like confrontation
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Jamiechelt »

Numberone63 wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2021, 09:18
I think that’s how they get taught in Royal Mail management school. Just say yes and no in the right places, smile and do you best in the shift time that you have. A nice young lady from our office left after a few months posting to be assimilated into a manager. She is a regular stand in back here now and is pretty much as you describe. We are just the workers bees. Let them worry about all the rest of it.
Yes I reckon so. Never met a decent honest manager in my life.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Jamiechelt wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2021, 09:36

Thank you. I'd love that link. Just need to see what can be done. I am.the quiet type, very peaceful. I dont like confrontation
It's generally the quieter characters that DOMs like to pick on .... Cowards the lot of them! :no no

I'm a bit of a Luddite, so no link, you'll have to go Old School! Try 0800 5874 777, or another number is: 0800 200 3300. I wouldn't expect anyone to be there today, it's only posties they expect to work on a Sunday. Good luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by fb1969 »

I echo what DorsetPlodder says, been there myself.

Info as at March 2021 https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Rai ... ummary.pdf
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Dindin »

Jamiechelt wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2021, 09:00
How best to deal with this from a manager? I absolutely dread going in nowadays. The guy acts super awkwardly and twists your words and makes you feel small. I'm fed up. Will a complaint make any difference or will he then be out to get me?

Anyone got any experiences?
Hi sorry about your situation do you work in my office? I've had the fear of going in work and it's not right .
If he's being super awkward walk away and approach the union .
Let's not fear going in tomorrow .
Take care
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Simple tip.
Always carry a diary.
Every time a manager starts speaking to you in a way you're not comfortable with pull out the diary and start writing in it. Anything will do, even random s**t.
They'll soon back off.
Only dead fish follow the current
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2021, 14:03
Simple tip.
Always carry a diary.
Every time a manager starts speaking to you in a way you're not comfortable with pull out the diary and start writing in it. Anything will do, even random s**t.
They'll soon back off.
Good Tip Woody. :thumbup

I find it never hurts to mention the word "DISCRIMINATION" a few times. Always seems to get the DOMs back-pedaling for some strange reason. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by postslippete »

Normally the best way would be to go straight to the DOMs office and have a word in private. However, in some offices that isn't possible if the manager in question is best buddies with their DOM and you feel that they might round up and gang up on you in some way.

So best bet is the bullying and harassment helpline. It gets recorded and therefore dealt with properly.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by aiden01 »

postslippete wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2021, 20:50
Normally the best way would be to go straight to the DOMs office and have a word in private. However, in some offices that isn't possible if the manager in question is best buddies with their DOM and you feel that they might round up and gang up on you in some way.

So best bet is the bullying and harassment helpline. It gets recorded and therefore dealt with properly.
Never have a word in private always have a rep or colleague with you.
burton76
Posts: 44
Joined: 08 Nov 2017, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by burton76 »

I would beware of using the b&H line. It just directs back to one of their pals to deal with.

The b&h line just send you a form - they don't deal with the complaint.

The complaint will be sent to a close manager to the one you complain about.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Dindin »

The fear of the place is making me tremble for tomorrow.
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying/intimidation

Post by Numberone63 »

Dindin wrote: ↑
20 Apr 2021, 17:54
The fear of the place is making me tremble for tomorrow.
I’m feeling like that and I’m not being bullied.