ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Wait time to gain access
-
Ciderboy1957
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:46
- Gender: Male
Wait time to gain access
Firm i deliver to for past 7 years , done away with security msn on gatehouse , replaced with automated intercom to some security company.
No one there to sign for or accept items etc , had to wait 13 minutes to finally get in thru gates , drive round to a " reception " area , had to wait 5 minutes for someone to come down to sign for specials etc.
Asked for letter box to be put on old security gatehouse wasn't received to well , thoughts gents
No one there to sign for or accept items etc , had to wait 13 minutes to finally get in thru gates , drive round to a " reception " area , had to wait 5 minutes for someone to come down to sign for specials etc.
Asked for letter box to be put on old security gatehouse wasn't received to well , thoughts gents
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
Give them
Last edited by noggin1969 on 05 Feb 2024, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
Give it 2 mins max then leave i'd say
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
Had the same problem on my old rural duty when a big national company decided to do away with the staff in the gatehouse but gave no instruction what I should do with the mail. No accessed it for a week then the line manager at the time instructed me to kill it all off, specials and tracked included. They ended up ringing and complaining in the end but nothing came of it as it was their own fault. To resolve the issue they installed an intercom next to the barrier but even then it was hit and miss if they would answer or not, any longer than a 30 second wait I would no access it and move on.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Wait time to gain access
As above, wait 2-3 minutes then "no access" it. At our place if you have three days of "no access" you kill it off.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
You lot are being generous with the waiting time. I'd ring them 2-3 times, waiting 10sec in between if no answer than no access- no regrets.
-
sindba
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
As above. Ring a couple of times, 1-2 mins max. If no response, then "no access".
Try again the next day, then kill off on day 3.
Sadly Royal Mail don't give us time for good customer service these days.
Try again the next day, then kill off on day 3.
Sadly Royal Mail don't give us time for good customer service these days.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
I agree to a point that we no longer have time for good customer service, but in this case the customer doesn't deserve a good service (or any service at all) if they think it's acceptable to make someone wait 13 mins to gain entry then a further 5 minutes for someone to come and receive/sign for any mail.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
I’ve had this same problem with businesses that lock their entrance gates or doors then stick a note on it saying ring this number which I refuse to do as I don’t use my mobile to ring customers.
If there’s an intercom I wait 2 minutes. If not I beep the horn a few times (it’s a secluded industrial estate). Then clearly mark it as inaccessible in the hope when they eventually get their mail (I assume the duty holder does ring them) they’ll do something about it..,they never do.
If there’s an intercom I wait 2 minutes. If not I beep the horn a few times (it’s a secluded industrial estate). Then clearly mark it as inaccessible in the hope when they eventually get their mail (I assume the duty holder does ring them) they’ll do something about it..,they never do.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
qwerty2
- Posts: 2117
- Joined: 30 Jun 2009, 00:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
I thought nobodys supposed to sign for anything because of cv19!!Ciderboy1957 wrote: ↑10 Apr 2021, 18:21Firm i deliver to for past 7 years , done away with security msn on gatehouse , replaced with automated intercom to some security company.
No one there to sign for or accept items etc , had to wait 13 minutes to finally get in thru gates , drive round to a " reception " area , had to wait 5 minutes for someone to come down to sign for specials etc.
Asked for letter box to be put on old security gatehouse wasn't received to well , thoughts gents
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
I simply refuse to do this. It ain't gonna happen.HTPostman wrote: ↑11 Apr 2021, 06:20I’ve had this same problem with businesses that lock their entrance gates or doors then stick a note on it saying ring this number which I refuse to do as I don’t use my mobile to ring customers.
If there’s an intercom I wait 2 minutes. If not I beep the horn a few times (it’s a secluded industrial estate). Then clearly mark it as inaccessible in the hope when they eventually get their mail (I assume the duty holder does ring them) they’ll do something about it..,they never do.
"the regular postman calls us"
Well i'm not the regular postman.
-
Route1
- Posts: 369
- Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
- Gender: Female
Re: Wait time to gain access
Still have to get the persons name that's accepting the item (for signature items).
Everyone (especially businesses) have until I have written out a card to get me access...buzz, wait 20 secs, start writing card, buzzer&knock, leave card. They get around 2 minutes. Only exceptions are people I know with issues that take ages, unfortunately I got a few of them too.
We got a sports complex with multiple businesses in it. Reception no longer taking parcels as one went awol once. Union & Management both said delivery point is the reception, gets carded straight away each time we go there. I provided "good customer service" once by taking the parcel upstairs. Waste of 5 minutes as couldnt find anyone even though reception said they were there. Card everytime now.
Regarding the original post, no way would i wait more that 2 minutes to get through the gates. If no-one at "reception", mail including parcels get dumped, any signature items get carded.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
I think that’s where so many issues lie. If the regular guy refused to call them and things were killed off it’s more likely to be sorted.yubin282 wrote: ↑11 Apr 2021, 12:32I simply refuse to do this. It ain't gonna happen.HTPostman wrote: ↑11 Apr 2021, 06:20I’ve had this same problem with businesses that lock their entrance gates or doors then stick a note on it saying ring this number which I refuse to do as I don’t use my mobile to ring customers.
If there’s an intercom I wait 2 minutes. If not I beep the horn a few times (it’s a secluded industrial estate). Then clearly mark it as inaccessible in the hope when they eventually get their mail (I assume the duty holder does ring them) they’ll do something about it..,they never do.
"the regular postman calls us"
Well i'm not the regular postman.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
I have the exact same issue on a round I cover, a big complex where reception will take some parcels (specials) but not the rest. There are lockers (which don’t actually lock and aren’t very big) for the other parcels but the businesses never empty them. I’ve asked reception if they can please put an email or note out to the businesses to empty the lockers (even once a week would do) but reception say it’s not their job and they are already ‘doing our job for us’ by taking specials.Route1 wrote: ↑11 Apr 2021, 12:39
We got a sports complex with multiple businesses in it. Reception no longer taking parcels as one went awol once. Union & Management both said delivery point is the reception, gets carded straight away each time we go there. I provided "good customer service" once by taking the parcel upstairs. Waste of 5 minutes as couldnt find anyone even though reception said they were there. Card everytime now.
So I just slip them. Makes no difference to me if an employee from McDonalds is having to waste an hour going to collect a poster advertising the Big Mac, as they never ask for redelivery which wouldn’t work due to same issues above. Although I actually think everything goes back to sender as the buggers never empty their mailboxes either.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Marshamp11
- Posts: 437
- Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Wait time to gain access
Tell them it must be their job because "Reception" is derived from the the latin "Recipio" - To Receive.HTPostman wrote: ↑11 Apr 2021, 16:57I have the exact same issue on a round I cover, a big complex where reception will take some parcels (specials) but not the rest. There are lockers (which don’t actually lock and aren’t very big) for the other parcels but the businesses never empty them. I’ve asked reception if they can please put an email or note out to the businesses to empty the lockers (even once a week would do) but reception say it’s not their job and they are already ‘doing our job for us’ by taking specials.Route1 wrote: ↑11 Apr 2021, 12:39
We got a sports complex with multiple businesses in it. Reception no longer taking parcels as one went awol once. Union & Management both said delivery point is the reception, gets carded straight away each time we go there. I provided "good customer service" once by taking the parcel upstairs. Waste of 5 minutes as couldnt find anyone even though reception said they were there. Card everytime now.
So I just slip them. Makes no difference to me if an employee from McDonalds is having to waste an hour going to collect a poster advertising the Big Mac, as they never ask for redelivery which wouldn’t work due to same issues above. Although I actually think everything goes back to sender as the buggers never empty their mailboxes either.