ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Why?

Post by robbertwhitton »

Seems that from all the posts and gripes on this site,all evolves on people not able to or not wanting to do the job as it should be done,with managers seemingly siding with those who give them no grief and want to make unworkable work loads,and encourage job and finish when it suits them,turn a blind eye to improper delivery procedures etc etc,am sure we troops on the ground are aware what they are up against,and there are no place for nice managers,they either don’t exist or are confident in how they manage and what they can do and know exactly what the restraints are,and how they justify the decisions they make some are high flyers who want to make a name for themselves by a ruthless bullying attitude who won’t worry who they upset
Frankie15
Posts: 200
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by Frankie15 »

In our office it's a case of "wont do" and not "cant do"!!! Its also a case of the moaners getting whatever they want from management while the quiet ones who just want to get on with the job getting s**t on. While your gripe may be against management, I find as I know others I've spoken to here have found, that our "colleagues" are worse to work with!! The worst ones do anything to get it easy and dont care who they squeal on or s**t on to get their own way!!!!!!
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by robbertwhitton »

Yep can relate to that,seems to keep certain ones sweet so he can rely on them to get him out of a fix,so much inconsistency on issues I barely have the energy to engage with him as I know it will met with his usual scripted reply,led by his bosses,
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by blacov »

I have realised that those less flexible posties, who will not go over, won't do any overtime. Basically they won't help managers to cover absences and they will stick to the rule, work by the book and fail often unworkable otherwise load. They have it really hard these days and it's fair to say they are not very popular with managers. On the other hand you may have a bunch of guys who are willing to do loads of overtime and cut corners often, they will most likely say that working for Royal Mail is not a bad thing. I can't see much of a balance. It either side of the scale.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: Why?

Post by Cucumber »

Ordinarily, I'd have no issues with people adopting the 'won't do' attitude, but in our office it's having a huge knock on effect. Staff are given all morning to prep a frame ready for part time staff arriving at 9am, but they are leaving with their full time partner at 8:20am with still 30-40 mins of work left for the part time staff coming in at 9am.
The 9am start has to have daily fights with management about a) why their duty isn't ready to load, and b) how much they will need to leave. Every single day. This has been going on for years and will never change, no matter how many revisions are shoehorned in.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by robbertwhitton »

I guess it depends on how people are managed by the manager,a big stick approach or can you please help with this to get the problem solved,these management traits are of course worlds apart,
Frankie15
Posts: 200
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by Frankie15 »

It does all come down to management I suppose but our place is so bad that morale is low. So low that there is a hatred between quite a few. The 'wont do' and selfish attitude were some of these guys just look after themselves by lying about their duties and stitching others up by squealing to the boss. Some actually rub it in in the hope of a reaction. Honestly, kids wouldn't get on that way!!!!
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by robbertwhitton »

Same here my friend,the management method has created a monster and a devided office,where moral doesn’t exist like it used to,
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by HTPostman »

blacov wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2021, 16:54
I have realised that those less flexible posties, who will not go over, won't do any overtime. Basically they won't help managers to cover absences and they will stick to the rule, work by the book and fail often unworkable otherwise load. They have it really hard these days and it's fair to say they are not very popular with managers. On the other hand you may have a bunch of guys who are willing to do loads of overtime and cut corners often, they will most likely say that working for Royal Mail is not a bad thing. I can't see much of a balance. It either side of the scale.
I’m a bit of a hybrid. I start on time, take breaks, do a vehicle check, don’t doorstep parcels, don’t demand ghost OT. But on the other hand I regularly do OT which helps management but more importantly helps out my bank balance!

As a result I’m disliked by the ‘not doing any extra only working my hours’ brigade as they say I’m managers pet for digging them out of a hole and at the same I’m disliked by the runners for doing extra but undercutting them by just asking to be paid my actual hours worked. The runners kind of have a point as I’m affecting their overtime, but I’ll never understand why someone on 38 hours would resent someone on 25 hours (me) trying to earn a bit extra work that those on 38 hour have turned down.

Overall I enjoy the job I just think it could be run so much better.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by wallan »

Cucumber wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2021, 17:16
Ordinarily, I'd have no issues with people adopting the 'won't do' attitude, but in our office it's having a huge knock on effect. Staff are given all morning to prep a frame ready for part time staff arriving at 9am, but they are leaving with their full time partner at 8:20am with still 30-40 mins of work left for the part time staff coming in at 9am.
The 9am start has to have daily fights with management about a) why their duty isn't ready to load, and b) how much they will need to leave. Every single day. This has been going on for years and will never change, no matter how many revisions are shoehorned in.
Should be required to Prep the other walk 1st
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by Postie45 »

wallan wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2021, 19:53

Should be required to Prep the other walk 1st
yep, the managers should have more say on when people leave the office, and if someone leaves the office early and work isnt completed such as an unprepped PT they should be disciplined for it.
Jack1960
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 333
Joined: 05 Jan 2016, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by Jack1960 »

Part of the problem is that some people don't honestly realise how part timers in an office helps to make savings and less absorption/lapsing.
Until recently we only had 3 part timers but we have had 3 full timers leave replaced by 3 part timers on 25 hours.
When it was explained that their walks have to ready, door to doors in, redirections done etc there was a change of mindset.
We are due out on delivery around 10 am, even with 40 mins added to our delivering time it's ridiculous to have people leaving at 9 sometimes earlier and leaving walks unprepped. PDA actuals make it clear that there is still alot of spare time so it's a simple choice, more time indoors prepping or losing walks for good.
Firm management is needed I agree but there will always be the "done my bit brigade". As they say in the Wild Bunch, those days are closing fast.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Why?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I believe there really is an ingrained attitude to the way we work, that has been reinforced over many years. In any other business I think it would have been solved with a change of Higher Management .... and a turnover of staff. :hmmmm

However this Business seems fairly unique in that it manages to retain a high proportion of staff for a very long time..... with all their Bad Habits! And this is despite everyone complaining about how crap the job is! :crazy: New Starters see the way these "Oldies" work and a lot believe that's the way it should be done. :no no The lack of RM Schools (remember them) and the lack of on the job training just exacerbate the problem. This training was obviously slashed to save money, but has now come back to bite them in the ass. :arrrghhh

In the meantime we have changes at the Top ..... however lower down in Middle Management nothing changes. Very worthy speeches are made by CEOs (Except for Rico) and they're basically ignored by the Middle, and Lower management :left: .... they'd rather continue with their Old & Trusted ways of Managing ... because they don't really like change either, it's a case of EWO .... Easy Way Out! :arrrghhh

I won't even mention the Elephant in the Corner .... the CWU .... there's obviously problems there. :hmmmm

I don't know the solution, because it seems whatever you're doing you're just pissing in the wind. You've just to find something that works for you, maintains your Mental Health and doesn't Burn you out. I find listening to the Radio, or Music on headsets gets me through the morning kindergarden .... and I listen to Audio Books when I'm out on delivery .... because I can't read a book whilst walking! And I NEVER WORK FOR FREE! You've got to find you own solutions :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)