I joined this company aged 20 years old on a temporary contract to cover long term sickness. I was thrilled at this opportunity and I loved every second of every day at work. The people were so helpful and we just used to laugh and make jokes while on the sort. And then I'd be over the moon out on delivery in the sun rocking my shorts.
However all good things must come to an end and the postie who I was covering on long term sickness came back. No hard feelings but I was gutted I must admit to lose my position. Thankfully however I was offered another temporary contract at the Sorting office 20 miles away which I readily accepted.
This was a great experience and I gained the opportunity to become an airside driver and attempted many duties including airport, rural, walk, dropbags, accelerated business mail and late collections.
After around 1.5 years service i became very experienced in postal matters from all the duties and roles I carried out. I was regularly working 60 hours a week on overtime which was very good for my bank balance.
18 months ago, I moved back to my first DO due to a retirement, a position which I still hold today. However I am still temporary on a temporary contract.
My local DO has been undergoing a disastrous mail revision which is at least 16 months behind schedule due to covid 19 and other factors. Upper Mails management have been ruthless and quite frankly heartless by deciding to not make positions permanent until the revision is finished.
I am not the only one - there are about 5 of us on temporary contracts covering for people who retired nearly 18 months ago.
My mood in the last 3 months has been terrible and the Manager has noticed who called me in to say my attitude isn't good. Well you wonder why...
I poured my heart and soul into the job with the hopes that my hard work would pay off eventually. I suppose this is a test of how long is a man prepared to work to 100% effort before his morale begins to slip? I worked over my time, I ran around on rurals, I worked very unsocial hours and said yes to every overtime request. I worked mothering Sunday for 3 years on the trot delivering flowers. All with the hopes of a job.
Well I believe i have the answer to how long a man can chase a carrot on a stick.. the answer is 2.5 years.
I have had enough. How I have been treated is starting to actually make me depressed and if I carry on any longer I will be forced to go sick. I just can't take it any more. The fact I have not been made permanent position means I cannot move on with my personal life or move out of my parents home. The manager insists that I am a hard working postman who carries out his duties with enthusiasm and professionalism. I physically and mentally cannot do anymore to keep myself motivated or happy to work with this company.
As a result of all of this I decided to hand in my notice and I will leave the job at the end of my notice period. I do not blame my direct line manager because I know his hands were tied from above.
I hope this company and my local HR department will see my departure as a warning sign that they need to treat employees better. Otherwise they will lose quality employees.
I am a young, fit and determined young man in his early 20s who was fully willing to carry out a 40+ year career in this job. However I have realised my worth and that I can do better elsewhere. In a company which will actually reward my loyalty correctly. I feel unrewarded and underappreciated in this job.
I will greatly miss the people more than anything. I wish things could have been different however I am so demoralised due to treatment by management that I felt I had no choice but to resign.
Sometimes I bang my head off the wall and wish I was born another 30 years earlier to start this job in the 1990s. The good old days as the oldies in my office like to say... it is sad when you have to think like this to justify working at Royal Mail!!!
I feel like the job is dying a death and wish everyone the best for the future...