ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDA issues
-
newpostyco13
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 04 Sep 2020, 16:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: thenorthovertabridge
PDA issues
recently had an issue where my PDA died half way round the duty no phone on me and to far to walk back now ive caused a national crisis by not scanning a covid kit im the 1st one in the country to do it has any one else had this issue what would you of done ? 
reppin posty co
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: PDA issues
Written down the tracking numbers and then entered them on return to the DO.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
newpostyco13
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 04 Sep 2020, 16:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: thenorthovertabridge
Re: PDA issues
i didnt know how to do that do i have to write all numbers down?clashcityrocker wrote: ↑26 Feb 2021, 16:30Written down the tracking numbers and then entered them on return to the DO.
reppin posty co
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: PDA issues
Even better.newpostyco13 wrote: ↑26 Feb 2021, 16:38i didnt know how to do thatclashcityrocker wrote: ↑26 Feb 2021, 16:30Written down the tracking numbers and then entered them on return to the DO.
Write down the 13 digit barcodes on Tracked/signed for/Special Delivery and give the list to someone else who does know how to manually enter them.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
poisonpostie
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 19:29
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
Try to have a phone with you. as i just take pictures of barcodes and when you get back they will mostly scan off your phone .if they don't just manually put the numbers into a scanner, writing down all the barcode numbers is mind numbing as we now scan so much,
-
qwerty2
- Posts: 2117
- Joined: 30 Jun 2009, 00:42
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
Why should we use our own phones to do their job for them?
I've done a whole delivery at Xmas without scanning one thing
They never said a thing
I've done a whole delivery at Xmas without scanning one thing
They never said a thing
-
sicknote25
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 26 Sep 2013, 22:04
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
How can that get a thumbs up?? We are paid for the services we provide. I appreciate the using your own phone thing but not scanning anything on a delivery just damages our job security as contracts can be lost???.
I would make a record of tracked items and specials and enter them on return to office.
-
qwerty2
- Posts: 2117
- Joined: 30 Jun 2009, 00:42
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
Tried that once and gave up after first bag had about 25 items written down
would take ages and I don't go back to office anyway
I haven't be in office for more than 6 months just walk to where I start
would take ages and I don't go back to office anyway
I haven't be in office for more than 6 months just walk to where I start
-
goneaway
- Posts: 314
- Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
The PDAs at our place have started doing a weird thing. They seem to be crashing less when out on delivery, but nearly every day when returning to the office, they spontaneously reboot themselves. I'm not the only one to have noticed this. The odd day or two it doesn't do it. The first few times I noticed this, I would go to do the "consolidation scan" for my collections, but would find the PDA had logged out. So, causing a delay of about 5 minutes whilst logging in, just to scan the consolidation barcode in the office
. As the same pattern was being followed for a few days, I paid more attention, and then one afternoon, I saw the PDA switch off and reboot on its own from scratch.
Anyone any idea what is doing this? Is it by design? Or maybe a bug in the software or hardware, causing the PDA to reboot as soon as it is close to the office - perhaps connecting to the office wifi is causing a crash? The reboot will happen in the car park outside, but of course, the wifi signal will spill outside the building a little. Has anyone else noticed this recently?
Anyone any idea what is doing this? Is it by design? Or maybe a bug in the software or hardware, causing the PDA to reboot as soon as it is close to the office - perhaps connecting to the office wifi is causing a crash? The reboot will happen in the car park outside, but of course, the wifi signal will spill outside the building a little. Has anyone else noticed this recently?
-
Slipperman
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
This has happened to me a few times recently.goneaway wrote: ↑02 Mar 2021, 20:50The PDAs at our place have started doing a weird thing. They seem to be crashing less when out on delivery, but nearly every day when returning to the office, they spontaneously reboot themselves. I'm not the only one to have noticed this. The odd day or two it doesn't do it. The first few times I noticed this, I would go to do the "consolidation scan" for my collections, but would find the PDA had logged out. So, causing a delay of about 5 minutes whilst logging in, just to scan the consolidation barcode in the office. As the same pattern was being followed for a few days, I paid more attention, and then one afternoon, I saw the PDA switch off and reboot on its own from scratch.
Anyone any idea what is doing this? Is it by design? Or maybe a bug in the software or hardware, causing the PDA to reboot as soon as it is close to the office - perhaps connecting to the office wifi is causing a crash? The reboot will happen in the car park outside, but of course, the wifi signal will spill outside the building a little. Has anyone else noticed this recently?
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
Maybe a software update that's failing each time?
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
Ours also had a habit of doing this a while back but it seems to have eased off now, almost every day it would crash/reboot literally just as you were about to do your consolidation scan when stood at the locker window.goneaway wrote: ↑02 Mar 2021, 20:50The PDAs at our place have started doing a weird thing. They seem to be crashing less when out on delivery, but nearly every day when returning to the office, they spontaneously reboot themselves. I'm not the only one to have noticed this. The odd day or two it doesn't do it. The first few times I noticed this, I would go to do the "consolidation scan" for my collections, but would find the PDA had logged out. So, causing a delay of about 5 minutes whilst logging in, just to scan the consolidation barcode in the office. As the same pattern was being followed for a few days, I paid more attention, and then one afternoon, I saw the PDA switch off and reboot on its own from scratch.
Anyone any idea what is doing this? Is it by design? Or maybe a bug in the software or hardware, causing the PDA to reboot as soon as it is close to the office - perhaps connecting to the office wifi is causing a crash? The reboot will happen in the car park outside, but of course, the wifi signal will spill outside the building a little. Has anyone else noticed this recently?
-
Parmyarmy25
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 19:39
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
Its recommended that all pdas are rebooted every working day
Doubt this happens though doesn't in our office
Doubt this happens though doesn't in our office
-
goneaway
- Posts: 314
- Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
I always do a full reboot in the morning when I get my PDA (and it tends to be a different one every day), to minimise problems and slow downs, but this rebooting when returning to the office still happens. It's good advice though, generally. As is taking a spare battery!
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA issues
Chances are that many of the PDA batteries will have now exceeded their maximum number of charge cycles