ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What would you do?
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
What would you do?
So on my 4th month on full sick pay awaiting date for hip replacement opp,(urgent)I do get there’s a pandemic to sort out,just getting my head round the options for me,and this job,have had a chat with boss and union rep,will be off a few months then hopefully fased back to work,and then they want to fix my injured knee with meniscus tear,so yet more time off,will/can Royal Mail tolerate this sick absence due to hospital operations,or put pressure on me to go after some 40 years.,half pay after 6 months etc etc:any thoughts guys/girls
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
Can you go for IHR? I think youve reached the age where you need an easier job on your joints, you dont want a retirement where you just turn to a vegetable watching tv do you?robbertwhitton wrote: ↑17 Feb 2021, 16:27So on my 4th month on full sick pay awaiting date for hip replacement opp,(urgent)I do get there’s a pandemic to sort out,just getting my head round the options for me,and this job,have had a chat with boss and union rep,will be off a few months then hopefully fased back to work,and then they want to fix my injured knee with meniscus tear,so yet more time off,will/can Royal Mail tolerate this sick absence due to hospital operations,or put pressure on me to go after some 40 years.,half pay after 6 months etc etc:any thoughts guys/girls
-
mags999
- Posts: 372
- Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
surely you have been offered ihr we have had 3 or 4 leave in the last 18months for far less ailments
-
derekm
- Posts: 340
- Joined: 16 Dec 2010, 22:17
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
Think this has been discussed before Robert as twoyear postie said might be time to give your body a rest from this toil because it’s not going to get any easier. Try the ihr route see how you get on as for a vr who knows how those will go.
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
Re: What would you do?
I think you need to decide what’s best for you.
Some people would just call it a day and push for medical retirement
Others would want to work until they drop.
If you can afford to take retirement
Take it and enjoy life
Some people would just call it a day and push for medical retirement
Others would want to work until they drop.
If you can afford to take retirement
Take it and enjoy life
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
Perhaps have a chat with your union rep? Possible redeployment to an indoor job / nearest mail centre?
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
You'd have to be prepared to go on earlies, lates or nights. On some shifts all the manual letters and flats sorting jobs might already be spoken for with the shift's own DDA casesgreengiant wrote: ↑17 Feb 2021, 18:51Perhaps have a chat with your union rep? Possible redeployment to an indoor job / nearest mail centre?
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
More than likely, but shy bairns get nowt as the saying goes.SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑17 Feb 2021, 19:39You'd have to be prepared to go on earlies, lates or nights. On some shifts all the manual letters and flats sorting jobs might already be spoken for with the shift's own DDA casesgreengiant wrote: ↑17 Feb 2021, 18:51Perhaps have a chat with your union rep? Possible redeployment to an indoor job / nearest mail centre?
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
Thanks for the replies,will just see how I feel and how Royal Mail are about it etc,and yes 40 years is a fair shift and the union guy said it won’t get better,and it’s me that’s important,thanks again,always nice to hear another view on it.we were talking about those we used to work with,jolly characters who always had a story from delivery,who are retired or no longer with us,makes you stop and think outside the rat race of work and it’s pitfalls,
-
sfxdby
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 21:48
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
Last edited by sfxdby on 23 Feb 2021, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
I think you've replied to the wrong thread?sfxdby wrote: ↑17 Feb 2021, 23:35Some great answers there.
I absolutely couldn't stand the messing about. Having to deal with managers daily.
How much do you make in tips?
When you're adding up the £40 p/w for your hols.
I may well lose my round in a repick and have to reserve, but after that I would be knocking on the manager's door asking him to put the empty duties up for signing - til I got one. Any duty better than dealing with that.
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: What would you do?
I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
Correct! I got stuck in a rut after hitting 60 and stayed on another 3 years! With One More Year in my mind. Since I left last November the only regret is not going sooner! RM as a company doesn't give a toss about you no matter how many years you have worked. It just gives them free publicly in the Courier comic where they can have a feel good over some mug who has done 50 years and never been sick once!General Mannerheim wrote: ↑19 Feb 2021, 15:57I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Re: What would you do?
Trust me I would leave,I do love my carp fishing,and the miss management in the office is so corrupt,and it certainly isn’t going to get any better,I have 3 more months on full pay and my hip operation due any minute as urgent,so will pull the trigger and go for I h r,thanks again for your help,you worded it exactly how I was thinking,stay safeGeneral Mannerheim wrote: ↑19 Feb 2021, 15:57I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: What would you do?
No worries Robert, thought it might come across as abrasive,if it has I'm sorry, but I've had yet another shitty day at work, I've always said i'd go when i turned 55 I have the cash saved and yet been having second thoughts until today, today was the straw that broke the camels back , i won't be talked to like that off some jumped up little twat who's younger than my two daughters , i guess when you've been here along time you really do get stuck in a rut and think that your respected or valuable to the company, your not and my health both physical and mental are more important than some shitty job.robbertwhitton wrote: ↑19 Feb 2021, 16:43Trust me I would leave,I do love my carp fishing,and the miss management in the office is so corrupt,and it certainly isn’t going to get any better,I have 3 more months on full pay and my hip operation due any minute as urgent,so will pull the trigger and go for I h r,thanks again for your help,you worded it exactly how I was thinking,stay safeGeneral Mannerheim wrote: ↑19 Feb 2021, 15:57I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.