ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What would you do?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

What would you do?

Post by robbertwhitton »

So on my 4th month on full sick pay awaiting date for hip replacement opp,(urgent)I do get there’s a pandemic to sort out,just getting my head round the options for me,and this job,have had a chat with boss and union rep,will be off a few months then hopefully fased back to work,and then they want to fix my injured knee with meniscus tear,so yet more time off,will/can Royal Mail tolerate this sick absence due to hospital operations,or put pressure on me to go after some 40 years.,half pay after 6 months etc etc:any thoughts guys/girls
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by 2yearpostie »

robbertwhitton wrote: ↑
17 Feb 2021, 16:27
So on my 4th month on full sick pay awaiting date for hip replacement opp,(urgent)I do get there’s a pandemic to sort out,just getting my head round the options for me,and this job,have had a chat with boss and union rep,will be off a few months then hopefully fased back to work,and then they want to fix my injured knee with meniscus tear,so yet more time off,will/can Royal Mail tolerate this sick absence due to hospital operations,or put pressure on me to go after some 40 years.,half pay after 6 months etc etc:any thoughts guys/girls
Can you go for IHR? I think youve reached the age where you need an easier job on your joints, you dont want a retirement where you just turn to a vegetable watching tv do you?
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by mags999 »

surely you have been offered ihr we have had 3 or 4 leave in the last 18months for far less ailments
derekm
Posts: 340
Joined: 16 Dec 2010, 22:17
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by derekm »

Think this has been discussed before Robert as twoyear postie said might be time to give your body a rest from this toil because it’s not going to get any easier. Try the ihr route see how you get on as for a vr who knows how those will go.
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Re: What would you do?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

I think you need to decide what’s best for you.
Some people would just call it a day and push for medical retirement
Others would want to work until they drop.

If you can afford to take retirement
Take it and enjoy life
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by greengiant »

Perhaps have a chat with your union rep? Possible redeployment to an indoor job / nearest mail centre?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

greengiant wrote: ↑
17 Feb 2021, 18:51
Perhaps have a chat with your union rep? Possible redeployment to an indoor job / nearest mail centre?
You'd have to be prepared to go on earlies, lates or nights. On some shifts all the manual letters and flats sorting jobs might already be spoken for with the shift's own DDA cases
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by greengiant »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
17 Feb 2021, 19:39
greengiant wrote: ↑
17 Feb 2021, 18:51
Perhaps have a chat with your union rep? Possible redeployment to an indoor job / nearest mail centre?
You'd have to be prepared to go on earlies, lates or nights. On some shifts all the manual letters and flats sorting jobs might already be spoken for with the shift's own DDA cases
More than likely, but shy bairns get nowt as the saying goes.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by robbertwhitton »

Thanks for the replies,will just see how I feel and how Royal Mail are about it etc,and yes 40 years is a fair shift and the union guy said it won’t get better,and it’s me that’s important,thanks again,always nice to hear another view on it.we were talking about those we used to work with,jolly characters who always had a story from delivery,who are retired or no longer with us,makes you stop and think outside the rat race of work and it’s pitfalls,
sfxdby
Posts: 81
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 21:48
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by sfxdby »

:crazy: greengiant is correct :crazy:
Last edited by sfxdby on 23 Feb 2021, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by greengiant »

sfxdby wrote: ↑
17 Feb 2021, 23:35
Some great answers there.
I absolutely couldn't stand the messing about. Having to deal with managers daily.
How much do you make in tips?
When you're adding up the £40 p/w for your hols.
I may well lose my round in a repick and have to reserve, but after that I would be knocking on the manager's door asking him to put the empty duties up for signing - til I got one. Any duty better than dealing with that.
I think you've replied to the wrong thread?
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: What would you do?

Post by General Mannerheim »

I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by fly-catchers »

General Mannerheim wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2021, 15:57
I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
Correct! I got stuck in a rut after hitting 60 and stayed on another 3 years! With One More Year in my mind. Since I left last November the only regret is not going sooner! RM as a company doesn't give a toss about you no matter how many years you have worked. It just gives them free publicly in the Courier comic where they can have a feel good over some mug who has done 50 years and never been sick once!
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: What would you do?

Post by robbertwhitton »

General Mannerheim wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2021, 15:57
I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
Trust me I would leave,I do love my carp fishing,and the miss management in the office is so corrupt,and it certainly isn’t going to get any better,I have 3 more months on full pay and my hip operation due any minute as urgent,so will pull the trigger and go for I h r,thanks again for your help,you worded it exactly how I was thinking,stay safe
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: What would you do?

Post by General Mannerheim »

robbertwhitton wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2021, 16:43
General Mannerheim wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2021, 15:57
I'd leave.
But you sound like your institutionalized and can't have a life/future outside of Royal Mail.
Give somebody else younger a job and go and do some fishing or whatever you like to do, your body is telling you, you've done enough for this shitty company and it will only get worse.
Trust me I would leave,I do love my carp fishing,and the miss management in the office is so corrupt,and it certainly isn’t going to get any better,I have 3 more months on full pay and my hip operation due any minute as urgent,so will pull the trigger and go for I h r,thanks again for your help,you worded it exactly how I was thinking,stay safe
No worries Robert, thought it might come across as abrasive,if it has I'm sorry, but I've had yet another shitty day at work, I've always said i'd go when i turned 55 I have the cash saved and yet been having second thoughts until today, today was the straw that broke the camels back , i won't be talked to like that off some jumped up little twat who's younger than my two daughters , i guess when you've been here along time you really do get stuck in a rut and think that your respected or valuable to the company, your not and my health both physical and mental are more important than some shitty job.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.