ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

abuse from customer

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postielady30
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Feb 2021, 16:13
Gender: Female

abuse from customer

Post by postielady30 »

I posted a leaflet through someone's letterbox today and was halfway down the stairs when he opened his door and yelled at the top of his voice 'f*** off' then slammed his door shut so hard the noise nearly deafened me.

I was so shocked I stood still for a few seconds. Then I heard a door open and saw his neighbour come out and stare at the guy's door. I asked him if he heard that. He looked really freaked out and said he heard nothing and went back inside his flat. I left the building and delivered to a few more delivery points, but when I was walking back to the van the guy started yelling at me from his window. I have no idea what he was saying. Now I feel concerned about my safety. The guy might have mental health issues or be taking drugs.

Where do I stand in terms of refusing to deliver his mail? In fact, I'd rather not go into that block of flats at all. I considered calling the police but wasn't really sure if an offence had been committed. He didn't threaten me, but his behaviour was threatening. I have no idea what he was shouting out the window though.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: abuse from customer

Post by 2yearpostie »

In ANY situation my DOM tells us if you dont feel safe dont go.

Make sure you Dom knows the situation that you dont feel safe and wont be going again (take a rep in with you if you have a crap dom)
hazzeem025
Posts: 280
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
Gender: Male

Re: abuse from customer

Post by hazzeem025 »

Report it to your DOM asap, your H&S rep and your union rep. You have every right to refuse delivery to that address/ block of flats because you have been threatened. Your DOM should send a letter to the address (addresses) explaining that deliveries have been suspended due to abusive behaviour. Don't let the DOM fob you off about it.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Re: abuse from customer

Post by grchpo »

If he sends a letter who is gonna deliver it. Here's a letter to tell you I'm not delivering your letters anymore, that'll go down well.
postielady30
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Feb 2021, 16:13
Gender: Female

Re: abuse from customer

Post by postielady30 »

I definitely don't feel safe. Normal people don't behave that way. I think he was on drugs. And the fact his neighbour looked terrified and denied hearing anything tells me the neighbour is scared of him.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: abuse from customer

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

grchpo wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 17:15
If he sends a letter who is gonna deliver it. Here's a letter to tell you I'm not delivering your letters anymore, that'll go down well.
The manager does.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: abuse from customer

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

To the OP, you can report it to the police, threatening behaviour is a crime, as is swearing in a public place
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postielady30
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Feb 2021, 16:13
Gender: Female

Re: abuse from customer

Post by postielady30 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 17:30
To the OP, you can report it to the police, threatening behaviour is a crime, as is swearing in a public place
Thanks. I might give the police a call tomorrow and report it. If the neighbour lies to the police, I won't have a witness. Maybe some people heard or saw him shout from the window.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: abuse from customer

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

postielady30 wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 17:34
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 17:30
To the OP, you can report it to the police, threatening behaviour is a crime, as is swearing in a public place
Thanks. I might give the police a call tomorrow and report it. If the neighbour lies to the police, I won't have a witness. Maybe some people heard or saw him shout from the window.
They don't need a witness unless they charge him.. They will most likely warn him about his behaviour.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: abuse from customer

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

postielady30 wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 17:34
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 17:30
To the OP, you can report it to the police, threatening behaviour is a crime, as is swearing in a public place
Thanks. I might give the police a call tomorrow and report it. If the neighbour lies to the police, I won't have a witness. Maybe some people heard or saw him shout from the window.
From the sounds of it, the police might even say, "Oh, him. Yeah, we've dealt with him before."
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Re: abuse from customer

Post by frankieboy »

I had one like that after delivering a leaflet/ d2d, came out and shouted obscenities so I shouted back " I didn't effing send it I just deliver", went straight back in. To save any further aggro I don't deliver any unaddressed mail to them anymore, had no further problems.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: abuse from customer

Post by Acca Dacca »

frankieboy wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 21:07
I had one like that after delivering a leaflet/ d2d, came out and shouted obscenities so I shouted back " I didn't effing send it I just deliver", went straight back in. To save any further aggro I don't deliver any unaddressed mail to them anymore, had no further problems.
Dont follow this course of action - two sackworthy offences there in swearing at a customer and not delivering door to doors unless they have an official opt out
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Re: abuse from customer

Post by frankieboy »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 21:23
frankieboy wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021, 21:07
I had one like that after delivering a leaflet/ d2d, came out and shouted obscenities so I shouted back " I didn't effing send it I just deliver", went straight back in. To save any further aggro I don't deliver any unaddressed mail to them anymore, had no further problems.
Dont follow this course of action - two sackworthy offences there in swearing at a customer and not delivering door to doors unless they have an official opt out
Yes sorry should have added more, don't swear at the customer; might inflame situation. But I would tell manager that you would feel safer not delivering a d2d to that house, some people get really riled when we deliver them and to me it's not worth the abuse.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: abuse from customer

Post by robbertwhitton »

I would certainly log it with boss and get a special be aware card made up,and speak to the neighbors as time consuming that is,is he new to your delivery?he may have an issue,nowt so queer as folk!!!good luck
bishopoflove
Posts: 63
Joined: 02 Mar 2016, 09:45
Gender: Male

Re: abuse from customer

Post by bishopoflove »

It happens all the time there's some right loons out there, I just ignore them, smile and say nothing then walk away