ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

IHR - Is it even an option?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Louubellee
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 May 2019, 06:40
Gender: Female

IHR - Is it even an option?

Post by Louubellee »

Hello everyone,

Just looking to see if anyone can share some advice or experiences with the issue I'm having.

I've been in the business around 5 years now. During that time I've been off LTS for 1 year and 2 months I've been on nil pay since November and things are getting tough. I didn't hear from my manager until 2 weeks ago, last contact before this was 1.10.20, so when we spoke I had a lot to update them on and we got to discussing my RTW and available options

I'll get to the point that the issues that have caused my absence are all mental health, specifically anorexia & PTSD. My condition has improved in certain ways, but I'm still miles off being able to hold down my job. I'm in different therapies for 12 hours a week just now, I was managing to work when it was around 8 hours p/w, but my first long term absence was due to me basically being at deaths door whilst at work after working till midnight the previous night and back in at 5am, the OM sent me home and I was off for 7 months. I came back and had a rough return, with senior management being rather inappropriate, poor handling of my RTW, failure to adhere to the disability adjustments agreed with OH and then COVID happened, I hit one of my lowest points in May and was sectioned.

Basically, I'm nowhere near capable of doing a job that requires walking (last time I was walking I nearly died), due to the other issues I have almost no ability to concentrate and focus, my memory is shot and functioning on 3 hours of sleep (been my average for years now) leaves me pretty useless to even do indoor work.

My treatment team has explained to me that I'm in this for the long-haul and I've already been with them for 2 years. I don't see myself getting to a position any time soon that working will be feasible.

Where my complete confusion on what to do comes in is that I am young (under 30) so I don't even know if IHR is a possibility, I've been unwell for 15 years now and did disclose this when I applied, however, the anorexia only began when I started at RM so that was something that has developed more recently.

Any advice, support, or even just experiences would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the essay, I just don't have a clue where I stand.

Many Thanks,
Lou
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: IHR - Is it even an option?

Post by sindba »

Well first and foremost, always put your health and wellbeing top priority, not your job. Easier said than done I know. But your doctor's opinion is always, always more important than your bosses.

Do you have a union rep who you feel comfortable and able to get in touch with? They may help, even if you're not a member.

I don't think you can "ask" for IHR as such, but in your situation it sounds like a viable option.

Hopefully there'll be people with better advice on here. Take care and good luck.
RHONE
Posts: 125
Joined: 14 Nov 2020, 15:54
Gender: Male

Re: IHR - Is it even an option?

Post by RHONE »

Hi lou really hope you get through this and as the previous comment said you seriously must put yourself first and get yourself strong again .in a year when mental health was RM's chosen charity it's so sad to hear of everyone that is and has struggled with little to no help from RM as a whole I know its not really management fault but they are managers (well supposed to be ) and yet if anything they only make things worse, you should look into maybe contacting the union in a higher form rather than your rep or even higher up management.
I would maybe contact OH again as they are probably your best bet in IHR
Keep strong and I hope you pull through this and you become bigger and better than all this BS
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: IHR - Is it even an option?

Post by Postie45 »

You need support with this, if youre not in the union - join.
Get your rep to help you out, this is bread and butter stuff for them. You have had an OH appraisal and it seems management have ignored it, and potentially added to your suffering, this is typical of them. Were you able to carry out the duties as given in the original OH report ? if so then thats great and you should be able to return to the office and back onto the OH recommended program.

Based on the fact that the original OH was ignored your rep should be able to let all hell break lose if you have documented how they didnt follow the OH recommendation and it resulted in making your condition worse.
At the very least the rep should be pushing for the original OH referral to be followed, it may be that so much time has passed you`ll need another one. If its decided you need another OH then maybe in the meantime you can go into the office and work as the previous OH recommended whilst you wait for another report.

With the union on board it makes things a lot harder for the manager, having you back in the office in a limited role is going to be an expensive use of resources to them, this is really what they dont want to happen and would be the first steps towards an IHR provided your condition and ability to do the job doesnt improve. They can also look within the local area at other potential roles you could fulfil, again this would have to fall under the OH recommendations.

By staying off, theyll continue to have you on staff but not pay you, this isnt a good situation for you as im sure it stops any prospect of benefits ?

So my advice, firstly get on to your union rep, if youre in a small office then with no office rep then contact the area rep.

Best wishes.