ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by norris9 »

I know we are probably all always shattered even in a normal year....

But I am destroyed.

Xmas pressure, then when you think you are going to get a lighter month in January, Boris comes along and puts the country in another lockdown and it's just as busy as Xmas pressure.

I am now at the point where I am not sure I can carry on, I need a break, but have no annual leave for another few months.

Do I grin and bear the pain, exhaustion, aching, or is there anything I can do. Can you go to management - I need a break and they'll understand and either say 'have a few days off' or 'we'll put you on light duties' or do they think 'you weakling....man-up!'....

or is the simple answer to phone in sick for a few days.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

norris9 wrote: ↑
17 Jan 2021, 23:27
Xmas pressure, then when you think you are going to get a lighter month in January, Boris comes along and puts the country in another lockdown and it's just as busy as Xmas pressure.
It might be that there's a backlog somewhere but over the last few days it's been dead. Half the sections finishing early, the odd section finishing really early
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by k979aaa »

The last 18 months have not been easy in this business.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by wacko74 »

My life is literally work, eat, sleep at the moment, I just don't have the mental or physical energy for anything else at all.

I can't even be bothered taking my poor dogs for a proper walk which has always previously been my greatest pleasure in life (sad life I know!)

I'm 46 but I've got relatives in their late 70's who are clearly in better physical shape than me, especially when it comes to ankle and knee joints.

I've also got a couple of other (hopefully) minor health issues (aside from my constant knee and ankle pain) at the moment but I'm just so exhausted that I can't even face up to the hassle of making Docs appointments to get them investigated and treated, this is where I suppose it becomes a vicious cycle... the less you look after yourself the worse you feel and the worse you feel the less you look after yourself.
2brunswick
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 May 2011, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by 2brunswick »

I think you seriously need to consider another job if you feel this bad.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by twoloops »

I would treat yourself to a nice pair of Merrell walking trainers & drink plenty of water while your out there & I’m more than sure you’ll find the job a lot easier, thank me later.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by Jpro747 »

Remember when the union were investigating fatigue on delivery and everyone was saying how 5 hour deliveries would have detrimental effects on the body? Now look where we are.
derekm
Posts: 340
Joined: 16 Dec 2010, 22:17
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by derekm »

Jpro747 wrote: ↑
18 Jan 2021, 12:52
Remember when the union were investigating fatigue on delivery and everyone was saying how 5 hour deliveries would have detrimental effects on the body? Now look where we are.
have spoken about this to our rep about the effect this is having on our body and he looked at me as if I was daft
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by Cucumber »

I'm really struggling. I've tried approaching management but they really aren't interested. I think they'd prefer that I just go on sick leave.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by rambo1 »

Stress
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by sindba »

Yep, if you are this mentally and physically exhausted then that's a valid reason to go off sick for a few days.

For an easy life you might want to say you have a cold or twisted ankle or something, but it's up to you.

And if you feel really bad, especuially after a rest, see your doc.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by grchpo »

Try a sports massage, it works for me
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by blacov »

Yeh I feel you. However what does my head in is not exactly work. It has not been particularly easy recently but I am accustomed to 6 days weeks and working overtime. My main concern is the covid/brexit uncertainty. Mentally I am pretty much broken at the moment. You can't tell if you will be able to enjoy holidays in the summer. You are prisoner of your own home and you can go as far as around the delivery area of your DO or around your place of residence. You can't drive to the coast, you can't go hiking in Wales or Scotland and you can't travel abroad. You can't even go to the pub or enjoy a nice meal out with friends and family.

I am slowing down at work a bit now because it is perfect moment to recover a little without taking time off as it seems the volume of work is gone down.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by mjd24 »

Anyone with an iphone can look at the health app which will tell you how many steps you have taken each day, as well as miles walked and flights of stairs/steps climbed. It will show you your average for each category per week/month/year.

My average number of flights of stairs climbed per day for the last 4 years:

2017: 32
2018: 29
2019: 25
2020: 28

- a flight of stairs is counted as approximately 3 meters (10 feet) of elevation gain (approximately 16 steps.

So thats on average between 25-32 flights of stairs walked up every single day for the last 4 years! That cant be good for the knees!!

And number of miles walked is bang on 6.1 per day for last 4 years.

These numbers obviously take into account the 4-5 weeks of annual leave each year as well as days off where i often do very little at all!

Im sure there are many of you who do more than i do. Anyone want to share their numbers?
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: Any1 shattered? Destroyed?

Post by Cucumber »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
18 Jan 2021, 18:16
Anyone with an iphone can look at the health app which will tell you how many steps you have taken each day, as well as miles walked and flights of stairs/steps climbed. It will show you your average for each category per week/month/year.

My average number of flights of stairs climbed per day for the last 4 years:

2017: 32
2018: 29
2019: 25
2020: 28

- a flight of stairs is counted as approximately 3 meters (10 feet) of elevation gain (approximately 16 steps.

So thats on average between 25-32 flights of stairs walked up every single day for the last 4 years! That cant be good for the knees!!

And number of miles walked is bang on 6.1 per day for last 4 years.

These numbers obviously take into account the 4-5 weeks of annual leave each year as well as days off where i often do very little at all!

Im sure there are many of you who do more than i do. Anyone want to share their numbers?
As a snapshot, my figures today are walking - 19.8km/12.3 miles.
Flights of stairs climbed - 52
That's a 5 hour plus duty with a little bit of indoor walking in the morning (it all adds up) then moving about after work.
I am shattered each day.