ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Giving Notice
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Giving Notice
Hi all, been with RM for 2 years now and I've had enough and want to hand my notice in, was wondering how I go about this? I've had a google and with my contract, it seems that I've got to give 4 weeks notice, Is that right? And when does my notice start, is it the day I hand it in or the following day? For example, if I hand my notice in tomorrow 16/1/21 will 13/2/21 be my last working day or will I have to work the following Monday? Some info on this would be appreciated. And before you go screaming that this is a bad time to jump I've already secured a new job and have been given a start date 
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Don’t know the answer to your question but just wanted to say good luck in your new job.
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Cheers! I'm a P/T and this last year has been awful, can't wait to sink my teeth into my new job and meet new people. I hope things will get better at RM but I can't wait.Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑15 Jan 2021, 16:40Don’t know the answer to your question but just wanted to say good luck in your new job.
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Nickvilla20
- Posts: 789
- Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
It’s will be 4 weeks for you I’m sure you can leave at the end of the forth week. If you’ve taken all your leave you may own them money so be weary of that.
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Giving Notice
will they chase this up if you leave?Nickvilla20 wrote: ↑15 Jan 2021, 16:56It’s will be 4 weeks for you I’m sure you can leave at the end of the forth week. If you’ve taken all your leave you may own them money so be weary of that.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Just like anyone these days they'll just sell the debt on to some scumbag debt recovery company.FirstPost wrote: ↑15 Jan 2021, 17:03will they chase this up if you leave?Nickvilla20 wrote: ↑15 Jan 2021, 16:56It’s will be 4 weeks for you I’m sure you can leave at the end of the forth week. If you’ve taken all your leave you may own them money so be weary of that.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
I would say that they'll balance it out in your final weeks pay, it's easy enough to work out, simple maths so with 4 weeks notice I would expect that is what will happen. Good luck with the new job.FirstPost wrote: ↑15 Jan 2021, 17:03will they chase this up if you leave?Nickvilla20 wrote: ↑15 Jan 2021, 16:56It’s will be 4 weeks for you I’m sure you can leave at the end of the forth week. If you’ve taken all your leave you may own them money so be weary of that.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
They will take what your owe them (if anything) if your final week. What u moving into if you don’t mind me asking. I’m considering my options all with 50% of the others at our office.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Royal Mail make this easy and show you how to do it -
https://myfuture.myroyalmail.com/my-rol ... oyal-mail/
https://myfuture.myroyalmail.com/my-rol ... oyal-mail/
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Got a job on the rails as a "mobile operative" so its night work prepping trains. The money is much better than RM and its about 10 more hours a week, plus I've got a chance to go on to becoming a mainline driver or something else as I'm quite young. Hopefully, it'll all work outGrumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑15 Jan 2021, 21:51They will take what your owe them (if anything) if your final week. What u moving into if you don’t mind me asking. I’m considering my options all with 50% of the others at our office.
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Manboat
- Posts: 172
- Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Sounds like the job I did before here, 13 years ago now, better money, was walking plenty in all weathers then too, was on more an hour then than we are now but 12 hour nights were tough going and I never got used to them really even after 7 years there, train drivers were on twice as much almost, which company is it you going for, Db schenker, freightliner not sure of anymore now.
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
I think the night work will be tough in the beginning but I'm hoping I'll get used to it, as for the 12-hour shifts, I usually start with the full-timers at 6:15 and also do a collection after my duty which ends at about 18:00 so I'm almost already on about 12 hours anyway. I applied with DB Schenker, took an exam in October, had an online interview and am now waiting on a start date. Where you ground staff?Manboat wrote: ↑16 Jan 2021, 21:39Sounds like the job I did before here, 13 years ago now, better money, was walking plenty in all weathers then too, was on more an hour then than we are now but 12 hour nights were tough going and I never got used to them really even after 7 years there, train drivers were on twice as much almost, which company is it you going for, Db schenker, freightliner not sure of anymore now.
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Manboat
- Posts: 172
- Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Yes ground staff, Db schenker used to be called English welsh Scottish railways, I’ve still got mates there actually, have thought about trying to get back in one day if it goes tits up here but like I said nights were tough so will see how it goes here for now
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Any tip or advice? Never worked in the rail industry before but I assume its work culture is much like RM.
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Congratulations it’s a good industry to get into. Good union as well.Mr_P0stie wrote: ↑16 Jan 2021, 21:23Got a job on the rails as a "mobile operative" so its night work prepping trains. The money is much better than RM and its about 10 more hours a week, plus I've got a chance to go on to becoming a mainline driver or something else as I'm quite young. Hopefully, it'll all work out![]()