ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
-
poolcued
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
- Gender: Male
Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
I’m currently self-isolating following a positive COVID test. My isolation period includes one week of pre-booked annual leave. Am I able to claim this back as I would have been unable to work?
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
-
malawihap
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 29 Jan 2008, 11:40
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
Happened to me last year i had to isolate while on holiday, manager said he would look into getting my week back, but surprise surprise i have heard nothing since and that was 9 moths ago. I guess i will have to give him another nudge regarding this, not holding out for too much know.
-
poolcued
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
You would think Royal Mail would have a policy in place. I’m obviously not the only one affected.
-
jfv999
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 14:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
Similar thing happened to me this morning. Currently on annual and this morning was told to self isolate for 5 days. Manager said I can't claim leave back.
-
wallop
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 251
- Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
Yes you can.
-
poolcued
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
I’ve contacted my local CWU branch and they suggest you can’t claim it back if it’s COVID only if it’s genuine sickness or illness. Do I have to somehow prove how genuine my symptoms are even though I’ve provided proof of my positive test? So now I’m even more confused.
-
frankieboy
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
Prior to covid I have had leave where during this leave I have fallen ill or had an injury but could not claim it back so why should it be different for covid, just the luck of the draw.
-
poolcued
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
Well, because your basic employment rights suggest you can
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ ... youre-ill/
and also because this is sure to affect many of us in the future. I just want a definitive answer.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ ... youre-ill/
and also because this is sure to affect many of us in the future. I just want a definitive answer.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
1,041 today and people are worried about claiming back leave. 
-
frankieboy
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
What they mean is you can't claim it back if its covid related.poolcued wrote: ↑06 Jan 2021, 16:57I’ve contacted my local CWU branch and they suggest you can’t claim it back if it’s COVID only if it’s genuine sickness or illness. Do I have to somehow prove how genuine my symptoms are even though I’ve provided proof of my positive test? So now I’m even more confused.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
aiden01 wrote: ↑06 Jan 2021, 18:30What they mean is you can't claim it back if its covid related.poolcued wrote: ↑06 Jan 2021, 16:57I’ve contacted my local CWU branch and they suggest you can’t claim it back if it’s COVID only if it’s genuine sickness or illness. Do I have to somehow prove how genuine my symptoms are even though I’ve provided proof of my positive test? So now I’m even more confused.
If you were on leave and have to self isolate due to someone else such as a family member is positive then you can’t claim it back however if you yourself have a positive test this means you are ill. You can’t be on the sick and on leave at the same time so you CAN claim this leave back
-
frankieboy
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
The only way they will let you claim back your leave is if you get an official doctors sick note. If you test positive for covid get a sick note, they can't refuse you then.
-
grchpo
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave
Tested positive while on leave, rang up to let them know. Didn't need a doctor's note or any proof & got my leave back.