ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

runners complaining about no tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

runners complaining about no tips

Post by eastie »

Had to laugh about a runner who had done 20 hours O/T this week complaining he had no tips plus he had done 20 hours overtime this last week .
I told him I had earned more than him just doing my round and engaging with the customers all year with £450 tips.
That made my day and to see his face, he even had the cheek to say it wasnt fair :dance :dance :dance
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by twoloops »

Most in our office would rather forfeit the tips than engaging with the customers :roll:
poisonpostie
Posts: 47
Joined: 11 May 2019, 19:29
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by poisonpostie »

That's the problem with this job, I maybe old school but i actually engage with my customers because god knows this job would be soul destroying for me if i just went round not talking to anybody If you want to run round and cut the job up fine its your choice but don't complain about getting no tips or when you get asked to do more :crazy:
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by chickenwittle »

Have you ever thought some of us don’t have time to chat with customers in order to just complete our duty .The job has changed down the years , that’s life .
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by Acca Dacca »

If you are working with a partner I think it is very rude to spend too long talking to people to be honest - a minute is fine but theres people who will stand and chat for 5-10 mins with someone while their loop partner is either waiting on them or having to come pick up the slack
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
ddtc
Posts: 253
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by ddtc »

But its also the fact that maybe being a reserve covering different walks customers don't want to tip us as we are not the regulars. I know a fair few customers on different walks but because I'm not the regular I don't get tipped. Always stumble across people opening their doors, money or gift ready to handover but then see me who they don't recognise and go oh wheres so and so.

So no I don't think its cheeky of him to say its unfair when its obvious why they don't get tipped. Unfortunately some of us have to cover different duties and not be stuck on one walk. But you know what I think is cheeky is if you happen to be a reserve and the duty holder finds out you got a tip and say well thats my tip so give it up. :crazy:
Kesknight
Posts: 98
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by Kesknight »

I work as a rest day cover and i don't get many tips. But i'm not bothered, i like doing something different each day. I've been a postman for over 33 years, i would hate to do the same duty everyday.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by k979aaa »

I got nothing it does not matter to me I know people in this nation have had a s**t year and are worse off than me I can only pray things get better for all!
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by wacko74 »

twoloops wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 10:16
Most in our office would rather forfeit the tips than engaging with the customers :roll:
Me too, I'm certainly not a runner but I'm quite happy to get no tips as long as the customers don't expect me to be their best mate and stand around chatting boring, inane, repetitive s**t with them for 10 minutes every day.

I find some of the close relationships that some posties have with their customers quite sad on both sides, one postie in my office must have 75% of his customers as his facebook friends and most of his page seems to be him highlighting all the special favours he does for them, followed by them all replying saying what a wonderful postie he is, even though as far as I can see he doesn't actually go to any more trouble or effort than any other half decent postie, he's just a master of self promotion.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by robbertwhitton »

Good point my friend,we share our tips out in our office so everyone gets the same,which is fine but have to say they seem to take it for granted that they get it and do very little to get rewarded from the customers.and of course some collect a lot and hand it in and get very little back!.just another aspect of our office that hard to stomach !
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by koolishy67 »

Happy to go home early instead of chating with people :wave
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by twoloops »

I like to get my headphones in & listen to some podcasts, the last thing I want is to start talking gibberish with some bored, boring customer, over the years I have found the posties that live alone or wife’s are at home all day are the worst, they never want to go home.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by eastie »

doesn't matter if you chat or not, the finish time is the same
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by yubin282 »

wacko74 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 16:25
twoloops wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 10:16
Most in our office would rather forfeit the tips than engaging with the customers :roll:
Me too, I'm certainly not a runner but I'm quite happy to get no tips as long as the customers don't expect me to be their best mate and stand around chatting boring, inane, repetitive s**t with them for 10 minutes every day.

I find some of the close relationships that some posties have with their customers quite sad on both sides, one postie in my office must have 75% of his customers as his facebook friends and most of his page seems to be him highlighting all the special favours he does for them, followed by them all replying saying what a wonderful postie he is, even though as far as I can see he doesn't actually go to any more trouble or effort than any other half decent postie, he's just a master of self promotion.
Theres a guy in my office who gets a text message from a customer every morning, reminding him not to post her credit cards bills as her husband is at home.
Could you really be bothered with that kind of 'service'.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by k979aaa »

yubin282 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 21:08
wacko74 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 16:25
twoloops wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 10:16
Most in our office would rather forfeit the tips than engaging with the customers :roll:
Me too, I'm certainly not a runner but I'm quite happy to get no tips as long as the customers don't expect me to be their best mate and stand around chatting boring, inane, repetitive s**t with them for 10 minutes every day.

I find some of the close relationships that some posties have with their customers quite sad on both sides, one postie in my office must have 75% of his customers as his facebook friends and most of his page seems to be him highlighting all the special favours he does for them, followed by them all replying saying what a wonderful postie he is, even though as far as I can see he doesn't actually go to any more trouble or effort than any other half decent postie, he's just a master of self promotion.
Theres a guy in my office who gets a text message from a customer every morning, reminding him not to post her credit cards bills as her husband is at home.
Could you really be bothered with that kind of 'service'.
maybe he has access all area's pass?