ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Transfer

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
markarronsmith
Posts: 36
Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 12:39
Gender: Male

Transfer

Post by markarronsmith »

Hi,

Can someone give me an idea of how a transfer would work. I asked my manager about transferring to an office local to me (5 mins away) he said I have to have been working for Royal Mail for 12 months. But recruitment told me before I started work I can apply for a transfer within 6 months?

Spoke to a postie today who’s at the office I want to work at and he said there’s loads of space in office

I have been at Royal Mail 5 months already.

Thank you! :Very Happy
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by Zicomurphy »

Not certain but always thought you had to have 12 months service before transferring.

I would say just because an office is understaffed doesn’t mean it is recruiting. We have about 10 vacancies at our office but the DOM seems to have no interest in filling them (or is being told by those above him not to).
markarronsmith
Posts: 36
Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 12:39
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by markarronsmith »

Ah no worries!

Thanks for the reply mate! :thumbup
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Have a chat with the DOM of the office you hope to move to. The DOM of that office might be able to get the ball rolling from their end
markarronsmith
Posts: 36
Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 12:39
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by markarronsmith »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
23 Dec 2020, 20:26
Have a chat with the DOM of the office you hope to move to. The DOM of that office might be able to get the ball rolling from their end

I’ll pop in at the start of the year! Thanks 🙏🏻
PAClark543
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Sep 2020, 19:45
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by PAClark543 »

I'm in a similar position. Been a postie just 4 months and would love to work at my local office rather than 40 min round trip drive. Was advised to email the DOM of the office I want to transfer to. I did this but no reply (surprise surprise!
A colleague has been transferred after just 7 months but it is being called a "loan"! It is all very confusing!
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Transfer

Post by General Mannerheim »

It's all to do with your office budget, most Dom's would have been given a figure of how many people to share :left: the workload, or bums on seats as the turds like to say, and will be often not to keen to release somebody to another office if they can help it, a loan of a postie to another office therefore is exactly that, your still officially attached to your parent office.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Partyondude
Posts: 87
Joined: 31 Dec 2018, 11:09
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by Partyondude »

I started at an office 15 miles away, At 6 months , i went to see the manager at my local DO and asked him if any vacancies came up , would i be able to get a transfer.

The only problem i had was getting away from the DO i was at. They strung me along for ages until i asked the union guy if he could get me a confirmed date i could go. He sorted it out and got me a date within a couple of hours.

You just need to keep on top of it and keep pushing to make things happen.
Iknockedtwice
Posts: 47
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by Iknockedtwice »

It is 6 months, not 12.
You can only transfer if your preferred office actually has a vacancy, it’s not up to the DOM, it still has to go through HR.
If the office has a vacancy the DOM has to put in a request to HR, if approved it then gets advertised.
If you haven’t already, register for job alerts and apply for anything and everything closer to you. Don’t use the Joe Public portal though, we have a sort of “back door” on success factors which means you bypass the online assessment and interview stages.
It took me 14 months to get my transfer and I’m so much happier now, good luck!