ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
johnnyp
Posts: 5239
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: SE ENGLAND

Christmas Tips

Post by johnnyp »

Got my first one today (£20) :Very Happy How are you boys and girls doing?
greynut
Posts: 334
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 15:36
Location: Shitsville

Re: Christmas Tips

Post by greynut »

johnnypick wrote:Got my first one today (£20) :Very Happy How are you boys and girls doing?
I'm a driver, so I get f**k all :Boo hoo!
vigilante
Posts: 1155
Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
Gender: Male
Location: dangerously close

tips

Post by vigilante »

WATCH OUT, WATCH OUT THERE IS A TAXMAN ABOUT :Very Happy
APPARENTLY WE EARN HUNDREDS IN TIPS!! :shock: ONE YEAR THEY TRIED TO DO US FOR 50 SQUIDS THE BUGGERS.



UP THE FRIENDLY RURAL MEN AND GIRLS :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Got my first Christmas Card from a resident on the walk today had nowt in it but it still made my day. :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Up Hill Down Hill
Posts: 177
Joined: 23 Sep 2007, 18:11

Post by Up Hill Down Hill »

Got my first one yesterday

£10

Felt guilty taking it but it got me a few drinks and she did insist :)
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Post by k979aaa »

Pete wrote:Got my first one yesterday

£10

Felt guilty taking it but it got me a few drinks and she did insist :)
why feel guilty you have been rewarded by a greatful and gracious customer. Must be doing your job properly then. :dance
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Post by Edward Hunter »

Up to £47 and a box of Quality street so far :dance Only been on the walk 7 months too so im well chuffed :nana
Up Hill Down Hill
Posts: 177
Joined: 23 Sep 2007, 18:11

Post by Up Hill Down Hill »

k979aaa wrote:
Pete wrote:Got my first one yesterday

£10

Felt guilty taking it but it got me a few drinks and she did insist :)
why feel guilty you have been rewarded by a greatful and gracious customer. Must be doing your job properly then. :dance
Just wonder if I've earnt it :crazy: and if they can afford it

Nearly made up for 2 hours of strike pay :cfo :lfo
jacee
Posts: 70
Joined: 26 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post by jacee »

As tips, for those who are lucky enough to get them, are given once a year as a Christmas tradition and not paid as a regular addition to wages as with bar staff, hairdressers, taxi drivers etc - I can't see any justification for attempting to tax them. They are a gift to someone, who in many cases has become a friend in the community for many people and are not a reward for doing the job well but a recognition of the friendship in the customers relationship with their postman.
davidessex
Posts: 119
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 15:10

Post by davidessex »

got asked to day, " where is barry , my regular postman ? " as she stood on the doorstep with an envelope , unstamped, with barry,s name on it. i told her he died two weeks ago.

he hadn,t but why can,t she just give the tip to the postman delivering to her now ?
councillor
Posts: 69
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 15:26

Post by councillor »

I don't expect anything....I've been a floater at various offices for 12 years, so no bugger sees me as their postie, though I did find a bottle of whiskey on the doorstep once. I think it was meant for me,the postie that week, but I gave it away cos I hate whiskey. Also a bag of crisps taped to the door with a Happy Christmas mesage. Mind you, they were Tayto crisps.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Post by k979aaa »

jacee wrote:As tips, for those who are lucky enough to get them, are given once a year as a Christmas tradition and not paid as a regular addition to wages as with bar staff, hairdressers, taxi drivers etc - I can't see any justification for attempting to tax them. They are a gift to someone, who in many cases has become a friend in the community for many people and are not a reward for doing the job well but a recognition of the friendship in the customers relationship with their postman.
I think their would be better pickin's for the tax man looking for long dead canoeist's who turn up alive.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Post by Darren Bent »

Not very much in last two christmas I had about a tenner. This is due to being reserve postman. I haven't got a tip yet. I do the current walk a lot but not every week (too big) (did whole summer)
newpostie
Posts: 157
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 16:04

Post by newpostie »

im a reserve at my do and some old lady tried giving me a fiver, being the decent person i am, i said im sorry but im not taking that because im not the main post man. So i said the main postman be back nxt week and thanks lol.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Post by dvbuk55 »

The Americans are much better at tipping - they expect to tip people and there is a sort of "Scale of Tipping and to whom and when list" the posties was down at Thanksgiving I think with a fairly hefty $20 dollars - if this was to be the norm in the UK and everyone on the delivery tipped it would be a nice little earner.
Sadly that's not the case - I think my worst year on delivery was £1.50 out of 600 drops.

Everyone must have the "hail and well met" customer who mysteriously disappears two weeks before christmas to reappear a fortnight after New Year.