ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas Tips
-
johnnyp
- Posts: 5239
- Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: SE ENGLAND
Christmas Tips
Got my first one today (£20)
How are you boys and girls doing?
-
greynut
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 15:36
- Location: Shitsville
Re: Christmas Tips
I'm a driver, so I get f**k alljohnnypick wrote:Got my first one today (£20)How are you boys and girls doing?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Got my first Christmas Card from a resident on the walk today had nowt in it but it still made my day.

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Up Hill Down Hill
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 23 Sep 2007, 18:11
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
-
Edward Hunter
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30
-
Up Hill Down Hill
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 23 Sep 2007, 18:11
Just wonder if I've earnt itk979aaa wrote:why feel guilty you have been rewarded by a greatful and gracious customer. Must be doing your job properly then.Pete wrote:Got my first one yesterday
£10
Felt guilty taking it but it got me a few drinks and she did insist :)
Nearly made up for 2 hours of strike pay :cfo :lfo
-
jacee
- Posts: 70
- Joined: 26 Jul 2007, 14:58
As tips, for those who are lucky enough to get them, are given once a year as a Christmas tradition and not paid as a regular addition to wages as with bar staff, hairdressers, taxi drivers etc - I can't see any justification for attempting to tax them. They are a gift to someone, who in many cases has become a friend in the community for many people and are not a reward for doing the job well but a recognition of the friendship in the customers relationship with their postman.
-
davidessex
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 15:10
-
councillor
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 15:26
I don't expect anything....I've been a floater at various offices for 12 years, so no bugger sees me as their postie, though I did find a bottle of whiskey on the doorstep once. I think it was meant for me,the postie that week, but I gave it away cos I hate whiskey. Also a bag of crisps taped to the door with a Happy Christmas mesage. Mind you, they were Tayto crisps.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
I think their would be better pickin's for the tax man looking for long dead canoeist's who turn up alive.jacee wrote:As tips, for those who are lucky enough to get them, are given once a year as a Christmas tradition and not paid as a regular addition to wages as with bar staff, hairdressers, taxi drivers etc - I can't see any justification for attempting to tax them. They are a gift to someone, who in many cases has become a friend in the community for many people and are not a reward for doing the job well but a recognition of the friendship in the customers relationship with their postman.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
-
newpostie
- Posts: 157
- Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 16:04
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
The Americans are much better at tipping - they expect to tip people and there is a sort of "Scale of Tipping and to whom and when list" the posties was down at Thanksgiving I think with a fairly hefty $20 dollars - if this was to be the norm in the UK and everyone on the delivery tipped it would be a nice little earner.
Sadly that's not the case - I think my worst year on delivery was £1.50 out of 600 drops.
Everyone must have the "hail and well met" customer who mysteriously disappears two weeks before christmas to reappear a fortnight after New Year.
Sadly that's not the case - I think my worst year on delivery was £1.50 out of 600 drops.
Everyone must have the "hail and well met" customer who mysteriously disappears two weeks before christmas to reappear a fortnight after New Year.