ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Off sick with stress withholding pay!
-
Haditup
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 27 Nov 2020, 07:08
- Gender: Male
Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Don’t want to go into too much detail (for obvious reasons)
Build up off stress and anxiety over the past six months.
I Went to my GP who gave a sick note until after New Year and emailed it to DOM
I received a letter hand delivered the same day from DOM : Stating they are withholding my sick pay as they think my absence is disingenuous.
They arranged a meeting for the next day to discuss my absence and how they can offer support ,Until I attend such meeting they would continue to stop my pay.
I emailed back and told them because of my condition I feel I am unable to attend but I would take a telephone call .I also explained in detail the about my absence is about and would remain in contact .
I have had no acknowledgment of my email being received and guess it’s all their tactical mind games!
So now I’m in a position of more stress with my pay being stopped and basically called a liar!
Luckily financially, Short term I can take the hit, my mental health is worth more that what they would pay suffering at work.
But I believe by using these threats of withholding pay there is fear that this could drive some other persons to commit suicide!
So what is my next step.?
Do I really have to deal with the DOM ?
Do I make a complaint about my pay being stopped and to whom?
Do I ask a referral to Occupational Health
Do I contact Feeling First Class.?
Do I ask ACAS to step in?
Or just ride it out and take the financial hit?
Thanks for reading?
Build up off stress and anxiety over the past six months.
I Went to my GP who gave a sick note until after New Year and emailed it to DOM
I received a letter hand delivered the same day from DOM : Stating they are withholding my sick pay as they think my absence is disingenuous.
They arranged a meeting for the next day to discuss my absence and how they can offer support ,Until I attend such meeting they would continue to stop my pay.
I emailed back and told them because of my condition I feel I am unable to attend but I would take a telephone call .I also explained in detail the about my absence is about and would remain in contact .
I have had no acknowledgment of my email being received and guess it’s all their tactical mind games!
So now I’m in a position of more stress with my pay being stopped and basically called a liar!
Luckily financially, Short term I can take the hit, my mental health is worth more that what they would pay suffering at work.
But I believe by using these threats of withholding pay there is fear that this could drive some other persons to commit suicide!
So what is my next step.?
Do I really have to deal with the DOM ?
Do I make a complaint about my pay being stopped and to whom?
Do I ask a referral to Occupational Health
Do I contact Feeling First Class.?
Do I ask ACAS to step in?
Or just ride it out and take the financial hit?
Thanks for reading?
-
Chupacabra74
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Union is your first stop
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
That’s ridiculous, don’t RM state all absences will be treated as genuine?
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Playing devils advocate for a moment has there been a traceable history of your stress and anxiety over the past 6 months with occupational health or your own GP?
Or has this sick note been handed in following a one off bust up with your DOM?
(Either way I doubt he can legally withhold wages)
Or has this sick note been handed in following a one off bust up with your DOM?
(Either way I doubt he can legally withhold wages)
-
picture123
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Emailing a sick note wouldn't be considered standard procedure. Best bet is to stick to the attendance agreement rigidly and then they have to pay you. You should have phoned and reported your illness and followed it up with a sick line. They have the right to see if there is something they can do to reduce your stress and get you back to work though especially if you've cited work related stress
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Agree with contacting the union and I would also advise against speaking to them over the phone as you'll not have a witness there to support you with what has or hasn't been said. Only other alternative is to have your office or area rep in the managers office listening to the phone call over the speaker phone. Not ideal to be honest.
I would also contact HR and tell them what your manager has said about withholding your pay and request an appointment with "feeling first class" if your GP hasn't already put you in touch with one of the mental health services available through the NHS.
This is nothing new, happened to me after I was given a second sicknote from my GP for stress and anxiety. The DOM thought exactly the same and said she was stopping my pay. Needless to say I caved, went back and spent the next few years carrying around constant stress, anxiety and low grade depression till I was eventually IHR'd with full blown depression.
You do right to put your mental health and wellbeing first and foremost before the job.
It's mangers like this that need a damn good birching and sacking for being so utterly incompetent in how they correctly handle mental health in this day and age.
I would also contact HR and tell them what your manager has said about withholding your pay and request an appointment with "feeling first class" if your GP hasn't already put you in touch with one of the mental health services available through the NHS.
This is nothing new, happened to me after I was given a second sicknote from my GP for stress and anxiety. The DOM thought exactly the same and said she was stopping my pay. Needless to say I caved, went back and spent the next few years carrying around constant stress, anxiety and low grade depression till I was eventually IHR'd with full blown depression.
You do right to put your mental health and wellbeing first and foremost before the job.
It's mangers like this that need a damn good birching and sacking for being so utterly incompetent in how they correctly handle mental health in this day and age.
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
You
Last edited by noggin1969 on 05 Feb 2024, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
-
theotherone
- Posts: 430
- Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 21:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Absolute shocking.I hope you sort things and some of the stress is eased.
RM treat all absences as genuine and even in RM's own policy not doing what a GP tells you is a reason to stop sick pay so a contradiction already.
I imagine this is a DOM just trying his luck.Be interested to know if this is a letter by the DOM or one given by HR.
RM's treatment to mental health is shocking for a company supposedly looking to modernise some culture is still in the 70's.
Personally I would get referred to OH so it's down on paper and backs up what the GP has said.
Good luck I have my own issues with this sort of thing.
Remember what is said between your GP and you in only between you.Don't let your DOM think he's some sort of mental health advisor and ask you personal questions that he will likely use against you.
Makes my piss boil and I wish you the best of luck.
RM treat all absences as genuine and even in RM's own policy not doing what a GP tells you is a reason to stop sick pay so a contradiction already.
I imagine this is a DOM just trying his luck.Be interested to know if this is a letter by the DOM or one given by HR.
RM's treatment to mental health is shocking for a company supposedly looking to modernise some culture is still in the 70's.
Personally I would get referred to OH so it's down on paper and backs up what the GP has said.
Good luck I have my own issues with this sort of thing.
Remember what is said between your GP and you in only between you.Don't let your DOM think he's some sort of mental health advisor and ask you personal questions that he will likely use against you.
Makes my piss boil and I wish you the best of luck.
-
beanmuncha
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 21 Aug 2007, 23:11
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
As said already get your Union rep or area rep involved asap.
Someone mentioned about emailing the sick note not a good idea, so post a copy of it to the DOM to keep yourself covered.
To my knowledge and in the attendance agreement there is only 2 reasons they are allowed to withhold pay
1) No sick note
or
2) No contact
there is no other reason, and disagreeing with a Doctor's note definitely not.
If you get someone from the Union involved this should be sorted very quickly, as for going to meet them ask them to come and see you if
you feel that will be better for you.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Someone mentioned about emailing the sick note not a good idea, so post a copy of it to the DOM to keep yourself covered.
To my knowledge and in the attendance agreement there is only 2 reasons they are allowed to withhold pay
1) No sick note
or
2) No contact
there is no other reason, and disagreeing with a Doctor's note definitely not.
If you get someone from the Union involved this should be sorted very quickly, as for going to meet them ask them to come and see you if
you feel that will be better for you.
Hope you get sorted soon.
-
Haditup
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 27 Nov 2020, 07:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Thanks for taking time to reply everyone.
Both, By the threatening tone of the letter I received the DOM is obviously thinking I’m blagging it!
I did have a three way discussion prior between DOM and another line manager which I walk away from.
That was the tipping point.
I have suffered with anxiety/ low mood for over a decade and in the past had counselling through OH a and NHS.
I have coping mechanisms and found that exercise helps a lot.
With Mental Health awareness being prominent ,especially with the impact COVID is having on people’s lives.
It’s the principle and the fact that Management use these tactics I find infuriating.
I will keep you all updated .
Thanks again.
wacko74 wrote: ↑27 Nov 2020, 10:18Playing devils advocate for a moment has there been a traceable history of your stress and anxiety over the past 6 months with occupational health or your own GP?
Or has this sick note been handed in following a one off bust up with your DOM?
(Either way I doubt he can legally withhold wages)
Both, By the threatening tone of the letter I received the DOM is obviously thinking I’m blagging it!
I did have a three way discussion prior between DOM and another line manager which I walk away from.
That was the tipping point.
I have suffered with anxiety/ low mood for over a decade and in the past had counselling through OH a and NHS.
I have coping mechanisms and found that exercise helps a lot.
With Mental Health awareness being prominent ,especially with the impact COVID is having on people’s lives.
It’s the principle and the fact that Management use these tactics I find infuriating.
I will keep you all updated .
Thanks again.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
I'm more surprised that a manager knows what disingenuous means!
So...you've got a sick note which you've sent. They now want to discuss things with you - so why can't they talk to you over the phone? Why do you have to actually go into Royal Mail HQ and explain yourself in front of them, if they only want to speak with you?? It sounds like bullying tactics to get you back into work by any means necessary. Forget the fact that it must be anxious to come into work when you've not been in for months. I've seen guys come in after self isolating for a few weeks and they dreaded going back because they didn't know what to expect. So you need support if anything.
It does anger me because I've known 3 posties who committed suicide whilst I have been in the job. That is why Royal Mail backed mental health and Mind. Its better to talk about things but clearly your manager only wants to do it on their terms. That is probably the wrong approach to take and makes me wonder if your DOM has actually had any mental health training at all??
I don't know how effective feeling first class is cause I've never used it but your Area Rep should be your first port of call to get your sick pay sorted.
So...you've got a sick note which you've sent. They now want to discuss things with you - so why can't they talk to you over the phone? Why do you have to actually go into Royal Mail HQ and explain yourself in front of them, if they only want to speak with you?? It sounds like bullying tactics to get you back into work by any means necessary. Forget the fact that it must be anxious to come into work when you've not been in for months. I've seen guys come in after self isolating for a few weeks and they dreaded going back because they didn't know what to expect. So you need support if anything.
It does anger me because I've known 3 posties who committed suicide whilst I have been in the job. That is why Royal Mail backed mental health and Mind. Its better to talk about things but clearly your manager only wants to do it on their terms. That is probably the wrong approach to take and makes me wonder if your DOM has actually had any mental health training at all??
I don't know how effective feeling first class is cause I've never used it but your Area Rep should be your first port of call to get your sick pay sorted.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Get Area rep on it ASAP if not in union why not and you could always demand a grievance form from HR as the first stepping point. Constructive dismissal is another point in your journey with this sad company we all work for!
-
broughts
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 19:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Royal Mail are championing mental health so this is disgusting the way you are being treated but that’s management for u heard they have a sweep in our office who’s going sick first for Xmas get the union involved hr feeling first class even outside bodies take this prick to the cleaners
-
Exrep
- Posts: 1005
- Joined: 02 Oct 2009, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick with stress withholding pay!
Do your self a favour buddy ring up H/R and put in a grievance .Also ask your DIM for a referral to ATOS as mental health issues are covered under the disabilities act. Your DIM may now be breaking the law but FFS buddy fight them they always lose because the DIMS are weak spineless toads who know s**t all also known as the god complex. GOOD LUCK
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”