ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Older posties

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Older posties

Post by robbertwhitton »

Just wanted to know how the older posties in delivery offices get treated? With all that age ware and tare takes its toll on your body,am currently off sick at the moment with osteoarthritis in my hip and a meniscus tare in my knee,oh and just got over Coronavirus,apart from that all good!, am 59 and done nearly 40 years hoping that a new hip and arthroscopic surgery on my knee will avoid ill health retirement and see my time out,but who knows,anyone else experiencing similar conditions,am gutted I won’t get my full xmas bonus this year,but am happy to get back to full fitness if it can be achieved.
Jack1960
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 333
Joined: 05 Jan 2016, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by Jack1960 »

There doesn't appear to be any consideration given to older staff, I started in 1976, the older ones in my office had fought in the war, desert rats, artic convoys , one had been in the republican brigade in the Spanish civil war , they just seemed to be a tougher bunch and got with it, it was 6 days a week then . but if they asked for help they were given it ,I'm sure there was a post office book of regulations one of which covered over 55 or 60 year olds .
I've been lucky, no damage yet after 40 odd years and still do belateds but there is no question that more and more delivery staff are retiring early or taking IHR.
With longer delivery spans ahead I hope the over 60s will be taken into account.....
Good luck with your recuperation, I don't see how you lose your bonus if you are on full sick pay though?
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Older posties

Post by fb1969 »

I'm mid-50s but less than 10 years in the job. The company do not care for one second about your age, or any medical conditions etc that you have even if the job has caused them. Having had problems with my legs over the last couple of years I have found that you are simply the person doing a particular job, if you have any heath issues you had better sort it out or you will be the person not doing that particular job. I was forced back off of light duties with the threat of my hours being changed if I didn't get back on delivery.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Older posties

Post by mjd24 »

Jack1960 wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 14:51
There doesn't appear to be any consideration given to older staff, I started in 1976, the older ones in my office had fought in the war, desert rats, artic convoys , one had been in the republican brigade in the Spanish civil war , they just seemed to be a tougher bunch and got with it, it was 6 days a week then . but if they asked for help they were given it ,I'm sure there was a post office book of regulations one of which covered over 55 or 60 year olds .
I've been lucky, no damage yet after 40 odd years and still do belateds but there is no question that more and more delivery staff are retiring early or taking IHR.
With longer delivery spans ahead I hope the over 60s will be taken into account.....
Good luck with your recuperation, I don't see how you lose your bonus if you are on full sick pay though?
It might have been 6 days a week but im pretty sure the amount of actual miles spent on delivery per week were far fewer than today.
Parmyarmy25
Posts: 35
Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 19:39
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by Parmyarmy25 »

robbertwhitton wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 13:39
Just wanted to know how the older posties in delivery offices get treated? With all that age ware and tare takes its toll on your body,am currently off sick at the moment with osteoarthritis in my hip and a meniscus tare in my knee,oh and just got over Coronavirus,apart from that all good!, am 59 and done nearly 40 years hoping that a new hip and arthroscopic surgery on my knee will avoid ill health retirement and see my time out,but who knows,anyone else experiencing similar conditions,am gutted I won’t get my full xmas bonus this year,but am happy to get back to full fitness if it can be achieved.
pretty sure you will get your full bonus
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by deltaforce »

There were a lot more indoor duties and nights back in the day and when it got too much on delivery or you were carrying joint problems you ended up indoors eventually. Most of these duties no longer exist, Mail centres are cutting back ,so now it’s a case of suck up or ship out to put it bluntly. I’ve just retired and I’m just relieved to have got out of it.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: Older posties

Post by twoloops »

I think you are all reading to much into this job, you have a number, do not kid yourself you are anymore than that.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by SpacePhoenix »

deltaforce wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 15:37
There were a lot more indoor duties and nights back in the day and when it got too much on delivery or you were carrying joint problems you ended up indoors eventually. Most of these duties no longer exist, Mail centres are cutting back ,so now it’s a case of suck up or ship out to put it bluntly. I’ve just retired and I’m just relieved to have got out of it.
Most of the sit-down duties that DDAs/ill health ones would have been transferred into MCs from DOs have gone and those that are left are probably already spoken for with the MCs own DDAs/ill health ones. If the USO goes then they'll go as well, probably with no more than 6 centres processing all the letters and flats for the whole country (wonder if RM would potentially have another look at machines that could sort flats and letters together if the area covered was a much larger geographical area
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by mags999 »

praying the the uso changes create some vrs in the delivery offices but not holding my breath :sad:
bishopoflove
Posts: 63
Joined: 02 Mar 2016, 09:45
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by bishopoflove »

I'm 65 tomorrow, done over 35yrs. service, no consideration at all for us elderly chaps, I've reached a point now where I decide what I'm taking I refuse to be pushed into rushing round anymore, the managers always turn round and say well so and so can do it, true but he's 30yrs. younger, don't take his break and comes in early, so this is what I'm taking, the rest is yours to sort out.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by grchpo »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 15:17
Jack1960 wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 14:51
There doesn't appear to be any consideration given to older staff, I started in 1976, the older ones in my office had fought in the war, desert rats, artic convoys , one had been in the republican brigade in the Spanish civil war , they just seemed to be a tougher bunch and got with it, it was 6 days a week then . but if they asked for help they were given it ,I'm sure there was a post office book of regulations one of which covered over 55 or 60 year olds .
I've been lucky, no damage yet after 40 odd years and still do belateds but there is no question that more and more delivery staff are retiring early or taking IHR.
With longer delivery spans ahead I hope the over 60s will be taken into account.....
Good luck with your recuperation, I don't see how you lose your bonus if you are on full sick pay though?
It might have been 6 days a week but im pretty sure the amount of actual miles spent on delivery per week were far fewer than today.
I work 6 days a week now, 5 weeks on , 1 week off
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by fly-catchers »

I'm 62 going on 63 and been a postie for over 32 years. No allowance for age or health. Now have knackered knees and Plantar fasciitis in my feet. DIMS solution add more roads to my delivery because somebody who is 20 or more years younger on my day off gets back early!

Now leaving this week and retiring. Won't miss the management and the foolish idea of the week from RM. Saving money at all costs. The future looks bleak for older posties. And not really bright for young ones either...
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Re: Older posties

Post by Edward Hunter »

robbertwhitton wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 13:39
Just wanted to know how the older posties in delivery offices get treated? With all that age ware and tare takes its toll on your body,am currently off sick at the moment with osteoarthritis in my hip and a meniscus tare in my knee,oh and just got over Coronavirus,apart from that all good!, am 59 and done nearly 40 years hoping that a new hip and arthroscopic surgery on my knee will avoid ill health retirement and see my time out,but who knows,anyone else experiencing similar conditions,am gutted I won’t get my full xmas bonus this year,but am happy to get back to full fitness if it can be achieved.
Im 56, 35 years in and had a hip replacement 4 years ago and was back on a full delivery in about 5 months, and still going. So that part of your problem is fixable. Not sure about your knee, but pretty sure if you are still getting sick pay you will be getting the Christmas bonus. I got mine when i was off having my hip done. Good luck anyway.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by robbertwhitton »

Many thanks for the replies,very refreshing and given me some hope,to the guy retiring I wish you all the very best my friend,yes I do hope I can be fixed fingers crossed
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Older posties

Post by robbertwhitton »

Edward Hunter wrote: ↑
25 Nov 2020, 21:24
robbertwhitton wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 13:39
Just wanted to know how the older posties in delivery offices get treated? With all that age ware and tare takes its toll on your body,am currently off sick at the moment with osteoarthritis in my hip and a meniscus tare in my knee,oh and just got over Coronavirus,apart from that all good!, am 59 and done nearly 40 years hoping that a new hip and arthroscopic surgery on my knee will avoid ill health retirement and see my time out,but who knows,anyone else experiencing similar conditions,am gutted I won’t get my full xmas bonus this year,but am happy to get back to full fitness if it can be achieved.
Im 56, 35 years in and had a hip replacement 4 years ago and was back on a full delivery in about 5 months, and still going. So that part of your problem is fixable. Not sure about your knee, but pretty sure if you are still getting sick pay you will be getting the Christmas bonus. I got mine when i was off having my hip done. Good luck anyway.
Did you need hip replacement due to osteoarthritis? How long did you have to put up with it? My knee I think will just be an arthroscopic opp hopefully fix it,thanks again