ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
posties without duty's
-
Jookgal
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 05 Oct 2016, 20:40
- Gender: Male
posties without duty's
I have my own duty, but it really worries me to see the physical and mental state of some of my colleagues who are being moved every day on to duty's that have failed for 3/4 /5 days. They look and sound broken. I know it's easy to say that you have a start time and a finish time, but they are still coming in to a difficult prep in an already bulging frame with trays and trays of packets on the floor, and then having to deliver the tracked and specials for the entire route as well as clearing as much as they can.
I've been moved a few times to jobs that have failed for days and the experience isn't something I would want to face every single morning, nor the embarrassment of delivering late birthday cards, hospital letters and last weeks radio times. Is this happening everywhere or just certain offices?
I've been moved a few times to jobs that have failed for days and the experience isn't something I would want to face every single morning, nor the embarrassment of delivering late birthday cards, hospital letters and last weeks radio times. Is this happening everywhere or just certain offices?
-
sindba
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
Happened to me the other day.
Got took off my duty to do a walk that looked like it hadn't been touched in days. Mountains of crap everywhere. It's difficult to even know where to start when faced with a frame looking like that.
Like you say, very stressful. Couldn't accurately judge how much I could get done in time, so took too much out. Ended up trying and failing to get hold of a manager to tell them I was cutting off. Brought a load back anyway.
Got took off my duty to do a walk that looked like it hadn't been touched in days. Mountains of crap everywhere. It's difficult to even know where to start when faced with a frame looking like that.
Like you say, very stressful. Couldn't accurately judge how much I could get done in time, so took too much out. Ended up trying and failing to get hold of a manager to tell them I was cutting off. Brought a load back anyway.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
this isnt just with posties without dutys , this is a regular thing in our office when posties come back after there day off and there delivery hasnt gone out , and then the so called managers think it is acceptable for 2 days worth of mail and pkts to be delivered the next day , and they are trying to pressure posties into working there days off by saying well it might get done (bastards) , the full office is a f***ing s**t hole mail left in frames , pkts and parcels left all over the place , and the biggest piss take is when the staff start work before any of the managers have come in and they are the first to go home while some staff are out till 6pm - 7 pm , do the cwu and r/mail know what is going on in delivery offices ?
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
You will find it will be the people who don’t make a fuss that it happens the most to. I see it happening a lot with some of our part timers, late starts out till well after dark on jobs they don’t know. Normally they won’t speak up they just leave the job, local union reps just say that’s how it is.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
Play them at there own game, simple.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
Reserve here. I just do what I can within my time to the best of my ability, whatever I can’t do comes back.
-
piranha
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
So when this happens do you get offered a few hours overtime to clear it? This happens in my office. Personally I just cut off, not interested in overtime
-
ddtc
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
Reserve myself. Don't care what I'm put on anymore. If I'm on a walk with a couple days mail left in, then I can only do what I can. No stress from me, managers problem. I mean they have had since March to sort something so yeah why should I care if they don't.
-
piranha
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
I've got a duty but cos I refuse to share a van l'm a reserve again. You have the right attitude same as me :D
-
ddtc
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
Don't get me wrong, I like my job. No way am I lazy as I hate not clearing the walk I'm on. But to be put on walks that haven't been cleared for days and to be expected to clear it without question. Sorry no, like I said higher ups have had since March sitting safely at home to work out a plan and nothing. Just moan and complain about losses and profits down the pan because of us posties. Really us? Didn't know we were paid to think of how to run the business. What would I know I'm just a postie not a highly qualified overpaid idiot 
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
That’s the correct attitude to have. Unfortunately due to the culture in RM they will always find people to bully into staying out to do it.
-
Peejay8T8
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 13 Mar 2020, 06:27
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
I'm a float but have been put on whichever walk the Manager sees fit since the pandemic started. I made the mistake of saying "I'll go with the flow" early doors. I don't kick up a fuss so know it's self-inflicted, but I've lost nearly all my pride in a job well done, and morale is on its arse, I know I'll be walking in to two days worth on Monday but like someone said earlier, I can only do what I can within my time, so not overly bothered
-
TheoF95
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
- Gender: Male
Re: posties without duty's
Just cut off or tell them you will be claiming double duty as OT if they want you to clear, if they dont pay you cut off next time. seems to work for us.
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Re: posties without duty's
The root of the problem is really the silly (union agreed) 'negotiation' that is meant to take place before you go out as to how much you can take. This very often leads to pressure being put in inexperienced staff, and often on experienced staff on a job that's got heaps of mail and parcels because it becomes increasingly hard to make a sensible judgement about how much you can reasonably do.
Generally assertive senior staff just say what they're going to do and the managers agree. Less assertive and newer staff often feel pressured into taking more than they can manage, or get blagged into taking more by a manager saying 'x much should be easily doable'. Senior and otherwise assertive be staff witnessing this mostly just keep their heads down while this shameful thing is happening, working on the well known RM principle of 'I'm all right, Jack'
Generally assertive senior staff just say what they're going to do and the managers agree. Less assertive and newer staff often feel pressured into taking more than they can manage, or get blagged into taking more by a manager saying 'x much should be easily doable'. Senior and otherwise assertive be staff witnessing this mostly just keep their heads down while this shameful thing is happening, working on the well known RM principle of 'I'm all right, Jack'
-
swintontillidie
- Posts: 97
- Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 14:14
Re: posties without duty's
The mental stress of the situation is something that needs to be urgently addressed.The DOM at our office hasn't once expressed any thanks or gratitude.People are working till 5 and 6pm ,its as though its expected and it will get worse.There is no space,no bands,limited PDAs and still they expect door to doors to go Why oh why cant these be deferred till after christmas.Some people will have serious breakdowns through this.