ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tips for Floating

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by matthew68 »

Do people give their floater a tip as a I’ve been on same route most of the year and am staying till Christmas, the floater says previous postie on this round gave him 40 pound every year! It’s a decent area but can’t see myself getting that much in tips! Also he comes in early and finish’s about 1 o’clock whilst I’m normally at till 3ish as I come in on time and take my break, and Dom has regularly compared the floaters to us and says we should be quicker, but they share van and we don’t and I am fed up with him banging on about how easy my round is and we string it out, yet he now has said twice that I should give him 1 sixth of my tips! I feel that I am being harassed already by him and he has also approached my partner about this! Is it fair to give him 1 sixth even though he pi@@ s me off alll the time about how slow we are yet he has a partner of about 25 and he is 35, both are a lots younger than me and my partner and keep cutting our round up which result in Dom regularly hassling us. Do I have to give him a share? Is it unfair if I don’t?
unome
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 13:35
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by unome »

Tell him as long as he gives you 5/6 of any tips received when he covers your duty there shouldn't be a problem. :Very Happy
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Almost everybody in this job lies about the amount of tips they get.
I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel loved.
Only dead fish follow the current
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by matthew68 »

unome wrote:Tell him as long as he gives you 5/6 of any tips received when he covers your duty there shouldn't be a problem. :Very Happy
Ha ha I might well do!
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by matthew68 »

Woody Guthrie wrote:Almost everybody in this job lies about the amount of tips they get.
I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel loved.
I think all the married men don’t tell their wife’s how much they get!
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Tips for Floating

Post by twoloops »

I’d keep what you get & tell your floater to keep what he gets,
I’m not that sure that most people even know who their postman is?
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by matthew68 »

twoloops wrote:I’d keep what you get & tell your floater to keep what he gets,
I’m not that sure that most people even know who their postman is?
Yes that’s true good idea
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by cpsteve »

So you do a van share that means you split your tips and give the two rdcs 1/5 each or you keep it all. For what its worth i have never been given any money from a duty holder and they bragged about how much they got. This year ive not had a regular partner its been out on ot as soon as they are short staffed so i will keep what i get from the 20 or so people who do give me a drink and the rdc will keep what they get, mind you if i got as much as £200 then i will give the one on my side a share. Do any of you tip your postman? mine will get £10 this year.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by ted_e_bear »

I think you've sort of answered your own question, if I were you being told how easy it is, you're too slow, resulting in being hassled by manager for not being as fast then as far as I'm concerned the share he'd get from me is f##k all !
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by sorefeet17 »

matthew68 wrote:
twoloops wrote:I’d keep what you get & tell your floater to keep what he gets,
I’m not that sure that most people even know who their postman is?
Yes that’s true good idea
From how you described him I think he would of kept any tips given on your round anyway!
I didn't get given any share when I was a floater, I didn't expect any either, so I don't give any to my various floaters (not that I get much at all on my current route anyhow) Saying that if they did give me some money that a customer gave them then I would split that with them.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Tips for Floating

Post by Cedar_Room »

Woody Guthrie wrote:Almost everybody in this job lies about the amount of tips they get.
I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel loved.
Had very little since park & loop started but prior to that I did two Christmases on a very pleasant village walk out in the sticks. Of course this was back in the days of single duty’s/job & knock/no lapsing - so I could pretty much go at whatever speed I chose/stop for a chat & put packets in safe places etc. Think I cleared over £250 each year that I was up there. Sadly,it’s a different job now...(when things are ‘normal’)
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
thefox
Posts: 1192
Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 20:09
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by thefox »

Cant believe hes got the cheek to ask you for some of your tips... give him nothing
Vwtouran
Posts: 95
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
Gender: Male

Tips for Floating

Post by Vwtouran »

There will be none of these problems soon when the USO goes down to 4 or 5 days, there will be no floaters then.
CillitBang
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 67
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 15:38
Gender: Female

Tips for Floating

Post by CillitBang »

When in the water, lie on your back and spread your legs and arms out. Alternatively, use a life vest.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Tips for Floating

Post by norris9 »

People seem to forget about the reserves totally.

no1 sorts them out.