ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas casuals

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by Selhurst »

This will be my first Christmas as a postie. Just wondering what the duties are that Christmas casuals undertake?
I read that RM are taking on 30,000 Christmas Casuals.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by Munchboii »

Sorting parcels mainly depends where you are.

Rarely see casuals on delivery these days. Too many mistakes from them sadly.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by POSTMAN »

Selhurst wrote:This will be my first Christmas as a postie. Just wondering what the duties are that Christmas casuals undertake?
I read that RM are taking on 30,000 Christmas Casuals.
You already work in a DO, so it will be much the same except busier.
Also what makes you think you are a casual? Are you paid by Royal mail and have a uniform?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by Selhurst »

Thanks for the reply. I know I’m not a casual and I do have a uniform etc etc. My question is what do the Christmas casuals do, if they have no experience of anything. Prep frames, do households in frames?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Selhurst wrote:Thanks for the reply. I know I’m not a casual and I do have a uniform etc etc. My question is what do the Christmas casuals do, if they have no experience of anything. Prep frames, do households in frames?
The walk that covers where my parents live, last year had a casual out with them delivering. I'm assuming they must have split the loops between them, with the postie doing all the SDs and getting signatures on the PDA and the casual getting signatures on the P whatever the number is form (that gets sent off to be scanned in)
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by Zicomurphy »

Selhurst wrote:Thanks for the reply. I know I’m not a casual and I do have a uniform etc etc. My question is what do the Christmas casuals do, if they have no experience of anything. Prep frames, do households in frames?
In a normal year nearly all Christmas casuals will be employed in a Mail centre to process and sort the mail. I would guess most of the work they do would be outward sorting which would just require them to sort to postcode so very little training would be required I’d imagine.
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by wallan »

Asked if you wanted a casual , if yes Duty Holder used to prep full walk & deliver about a "Third" ,casual used to start about 8am & deliver the remainder
1st day both went around together
If no casual duty holder delivered the full walk with extended hours
The Good Old Days
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by cpsteve »

If they dont hire more delivery drivers then we will have a massive backlog, i would think it will be packet only saturdays and as many late start packet delivery staff as they can get, the trouble is with so many people going sick the spare people are covering them not doing the excess work.
thedonkey
Posts: 141
Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 13:57
Gender: Male

Christmas casuals

Post by thedonkey »

20 years on rural delivery never known a casual to do any deliveries at Christmas. Thousands of extra staff to do the sorting none to do the extra deliveries. Bloody Joke.
swintontillidie
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 14:14

Re: Christmas casuals

Post by swintontillidie »

Last year was the first year I've ever known casuals to do a delivery and I'd expect this year to be the same.
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Re: Christmas casuals

Post by Ali831 »

Casuals in our office are delivering, they are working later shifts when there are spare vans
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas casuals

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Ali831 wrote: ↑
17 Nov 2020, 20:34
Casuals in our office are delivering, they are working later shifts when there are spare vans
The same up here as well covering for sick leave.
Trolleyvanman
Posts: 12
Joined: 25 May 2020, 21:08
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas casuals

Post by Trolleyvanman »

Started as a Christmas casual a few years back,straight onto deliveries with a days training and eventually got a contract out of it.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Christmas casuals

Post by krussel »

Had 5 turn up yesterday. They sent them out with 20 parcels each with 4 hours paid hours (5 per hour). One guy went out and delivered just 2 parcels in 45 mins and came back saying it was way too hard. None of the other 4 cleared 20. Today only 1 turned up the other saying it was too hard.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Re: Christmas casuals

Post by Ali831 »

Do you get the feeling some of these casuals are just ticking boxes. I know of someone who was told when they were on job seekers allowance if they didn't attend the job being offered benefits would be stopped. So they turned up at the relevant company, did 2 hours work and quit. They had followed the stipulation and benefits continued !