ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas casuals
-
Selhurst
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
This will be my first Christmas as a postie. Just wondering what the duties are that Christmas casuals undertake?
I read that RM are taking on 30,000 Christmas Casuals.
I read that RM are taking on 30,000 Christmas Casuals.
-
Munchboii
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
Sorting parcels mainly depends where you are.
Rarely see casuals on delivery these days. Too many mistakes from them sadly.
Rarely see casuals on delivery these days. Too many mistakes from them sadly.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32801
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
You already work in a DO, so it will be much the same except busier.Selhurst wrote:This will be my first Christmas as a postie. Just wondering what the duties are that Christmas casuals undertake?
I read that RM are taking on 30,000 Christmas Casuals.
Also what makes you think you are a casual? Are you paid by Royal mail and have a uniform?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Selhurst
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
Thanks for the reply. I know I’m not a casual and I do have a uniform etc etc. My question is what do the Christmas casuals do, if they have no experience of anything. Prep frames, do households in frames?
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
The walk that covers where my parents live, last year had a casual out with them delivering. I'm assuming they must have split the loops between them, with the postie doing all the SDs and getting signatures on the PDA and the casual getting signatures on the P whatever the number is form (that gets sent off to be scanned in)Selhurst wrote:Thanks for the reply. I know I’m not a casual and I do have a uniform etc etc. My question is what do the Christmas casuals do, if they have no experience of anything. Prep frames, do households in frames?
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
In a normal year nearly all Christmas casuals will be employed in a Mail centre to process and sort the mail. I would guess most of the work they do would be outward sorting which would just require them to sort to postcode so very little training would be required I’d imagine.Selhurst wrote:Thanks for the reply. I know I’m not a casual and I do have a uniform etc etc. My question is what do the Christmas casuals do, if they have no experience of anything. Prep frames, do households in frames?
-
wallan
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
Asked if you wanted a casual , if yes Duty Holder used to prep full walk & deliver about a "Third" ,casual used to start about 8am & deliver the remainder
1st day both went around together
If no casual duty holder delivered the full walk with extended hours
The Good Old Days
1st day both went around together
If no casual duty holder delivered the full walk with extended hours
The Good Old Days
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
If they dont hire more delivery drivers then we will have a massive backlog, i would think it will be packet only saturdays and as many late start packet delivery staff as they can get, the trouble is with so many people going sick the spare people are covering them not doing the excess work.
-
thedonkey
- Posts: 141
- Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 13:57
- Gender: Male
Christmas casuals
20 years on rural delivery never known a casual to do any deliveries at Christmas. Thousands of extra staff to do the sorting none to do the extra deliveries. Bloody Joke.
-
swintontillidie
- Posts: 97
- Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 14:14
Re: Christmas casuals
Last year was the first year I've ever known casuals to do a delivery and I'd expect this year to be the same.
-
Ali831
- Posts: 268
- Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Christmas casuals
Casuals in our office are delivering, they are working later shifts when there are spare vans
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
-
Trolleyvanman
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 25 May 2020, 21:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas casuals
Started as a Christmas casual a few years back,straight onto deliveries with a days training and eventually got a contract out of it.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Christmas casuals
Had 5 turn up yesterday. They sent them out with 20 parcels each with 4 hours paid hours (5 per hour). One guy went out and delivered just 2 parcels in 45 mins and came back saying it was way too hard. None of the other 4 cleared 20. Today only 1 turned up the other saying it was too hard.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Ali831
- Posts: 268
- Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Christmas casuals
Do you get the feeling some of these casuals are just ticking boxes. I know of someone who was told when they were on job seekers allowance if they didn't attend the job being offered benefits would be stopped. So they turned up at the relevant company, did 2 hours work and quit. They had followed the stipulation and benefits continued !