ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tips for Floating
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
Do people give their floater a tip as a I’ve been on same route most of the year and am staying till Christmas, the floater says previous postie on this round gave him 40 pound every year! It’s a decent area but can’t see myself getting that much in tips! Also he comes in early and finish’s about 1 o’clock whilst I’m normally at till 3ish as I come in on time and take my break, and Dom has regularly compared the floaters to us and says we should be quicker, but they share van and we don’t and I am fed up with him banging on about how easy my round is and we string it out, yet he now has said twice that I should give him 1 sixth of my tips! I feel that I am being harassed already by him and he has also approached my partner about this! Is it fair to give him 1 sixth even though he pi@@ s me off alll the time about how slow we are yet he has a partner of about 25 and he is 35, both are a lots younger than me and my partner and keep cutting our round up which result in Dom regularly hassling us. Do I have to give him a share? Is it unfair if I don’t?
-
unome
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 13:35
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
Tell him as long as he gives you 5/6 of any tips received when he covers your duty there shouldn't be a problem. 
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
Almost everybody in this job lies about the amount of tips they get.
I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel loved.
I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel loved.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
Ha ha I might well do!unome wrote:Tell him as long as he gives you 5/6 of any tips received when he covers your duty there shouldn't be a problem.
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
I think all the married men don’t tell their wife’s how much they get!Woody Guthrie wrote:Almost everybody in this job lies about the amount of tips they get.
I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel loved.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Tips for Floating
I’d keep what you get & tell your floater to keep what he gets,
I’m not that sure that most people even know who their postman is?
I’m not that sure that most people even know who their postman is?
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
Yes that’s true good ideatwoloops wrote:I’d keep what you get & tell your floater to keep what he gets,
I’m not that sure that most people even know who their postman is?
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
So you do a van share that means you split your tips and give the two rdcs 1/5 each or you keep it all. For what its worth i have never been given any money from a duty holder and they bragged about how much they got. This year ive not had a regular partner its been out on ot as soon as they are short staffed so i will keep what i get from the 20 or so people who do give me a drink and the rdc will keep what they get, mind you if i got as much as £200 then i will give the one on my side a share. Do any of you tip your postman? mine will get £10 this year.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4110
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
I think you've sort of answered your own question, if I were you being told how easy it is, you're too slow, resulting in being hassled by manager for not being as fast then as far as I'm concerned the share he'd get from me is f##k all !
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
From how you described him I think he would of kept any tips given on your round anyway!matthew68 wrote:Yes that’s true good ideatwoloops wrote:I’d keep what you get & tell your floater to keep what he gets,
I’m not that sure that most people even know who their postman is?
I didn't get given any share when I was a floater, I didn't expect any either, so I don't give any to my various floaters (not that I get much at all on my current route anyhow) Saying that if they did give me some money that a customer gave them then I would split that with them.
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Tips for Floating
Had very little since park & loop started but prior to that I did two Christmases on a very pleasant village walk out in the sticks. Of course this was back in the days of single duty’s/job & knock/no lapsing - so I could pretty much go at whatever speed I chose/stop for a chat & put packets in safe places etc. Think I cleared over £250 each year that I was up there. Sadly,it’s a different job now...(when things are ‘normal’)Woody Guthrie wrote:Almost everybody in this job lies about the amount of tips they get.
I have no idea why. Maybe it makes them feel loved.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
thefox
- Posts: 1192
- Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
Cant believe hes got the cheek to ask you for some of your tips... give him nothing
-
Vwtouran
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Tips for Floating
There will be none of these problems soon when the USO goes down to 4 or 5 days, there will be no floaters then.
-
CillitBang
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 15:38
- Gender: Female
Tips for Floating
When in the water, lie on your back and spread your legs and arms out. Alternatively, use a life vest.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Tips for Floating
People seem to forget about the reserves totally.
no1 sorts them out.
no1 sorts them out.