ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shocking what's going on.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dazdec197296
Posts: 16
Joined: 04 Aug 2019, 19:21
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by Dazdec197296 »

I’ve Been on the same job all week, Went in this morning to be told I was being put on another job that hadn’t gone out since Monday. When I got out on the round I had so much mail and parcels I had to deliver Mail first the go back around with parcels due to lack of room and weight of bag.
Tomorrow I am back on my job which didn’t go out today so I have now got double mail and parcels tomorrow. I am on a 30 hour contract and when I go in tomorrow I am going to tell them that from now on I am only going to work my contracted hours and not a minute over so they are not going to be happy but my well being and health is more important. Also is there anything the Union can do about us being made to do double and triple mail because the weight in the bags is very heavy and is surely a health and safety issue.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Shocking what’s going on.

Post by noggin1969 »

Stick
Last edited by noggin1969 on 05 Feb 2024, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Shocking what's going on.

Post by Cucumber »

It really is beyond belief how bad things have got in some offices.
Our office has ZERO covid related absences but the same runs are left in for days on end, with other traditional 'shared van' duties being given 3 members of staff to clear them several times a week.
We've lost quite a few experienced staff through sackings/resignations/IHR and nothing has been done to replace them.
Pumpernickel
Posts: 155
Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by Pumpernickel »

Dazdec197296 wrote:I’ve Been on the same job all week, Went in this morning to be told I was being put on another job that hadn’t gone out since Monday. When I got out on the round I had so much mail and parcels I had to deliver Mail first the go back around with parcels due to lack of room and weight of bag.
Tomorrow I am back on my job which didn’t go out today so I have now got double mail and parcels tomorrow. I am on a 30 hour contract and when I go in tomorrow I am going to tell them that from now on I am only going to work my contracted hours and not a minute over so they are not going to be happy but my well being and health is more important. Also is there anything the Union can do about us being made to do double and triple mail because the weight in the bags is very heavy and is surely a health and safety issue.
Been happening to me, pretty much weekly, for months.

Take what you think you can do and bring back anything you can't finish before hometime. Taking it all when it's clearly unmanagable will annoy you due to it seeming an impossible task, and all that stuff in the back of the van getting in the way of what you can do.

Have a cut off time for sorting your parcels, after this time anything that isn't tracked stays in a york unsorted (make sure you get all the tracked out though!).

If you need to reorganise loops then reorganise them. Keep your bags managable.

Have a cut off time in mind to abandon mail and finish the tracked/oversize before your finish time.

If you find that you could do more than you had expected (ie you didn't take enough out, easily done especially if you don't know a walk intimately), just grab another loop when you get back to take you to your finish time.
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by ashadd »

What happened to using a trolley?
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2225
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Shocking what's going on.

Post by Chelseablue »

What are the rms plans for this quiet christmas? Not heard a peep , so short of staff its gonna be fun
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Shocking what’s going on.

Post by matthew68 »

noggin1969 wrote:Stick to bag weight and delivery methods. Start on time , take your break/s , , follow cut off procedure , finish on time.
What is the cut off procedure? Because today had arguments with stand in manager as I said I wasn’t doing lapsing, he said I had to take it out but I wasn’t going past my time today as I’ve had enough and felt too tired today, he then says I am lucky to be in a job at the moment and there are thousands of people who would jump at the chance of this job! He said I wasn’t following procedures properly and if I brought mail back it would be a disciplinary! I just said to him I’m doing my hours and that’s it, he then went crazy when I brought my last loop back and left lapsing in frame! He said he would take this further tomorrow, but it was crazy today and I just worked my hours they all just seem a bunch of bullies
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by postslippete »

Dazdec197296 wrote:I’ve Been on the same job all week, Went in this morning to be told I was being put on another job that hadn’t gone out since Monday. When I got out on the round I had so much mail and parcels I had to deliver Mail first the go back around with parcels due to lack of room and weight of bag.
Tomorrow I am back on my job which didn’t go out today so I have now got double mail and parcels tomorrow. I am on a 30 hour contract and when I go in tomorrow I am going to tell them that from now on I am only going to work my contracted hours and not a minute over so they are not going to be happy but my well being and health is more important. Also is there anything the Union can do about us being made to do double and triple mail because the weight in the bags is very heavy and is surely a health and safety issue.

Every time I have a day off I walk in to a frame that has mail from yesterday plus yesterday's D2Ds and packets. Add in todays mail, D2Ds and packets and you have the perfect recipe for a duty that isn't going to be delivered in full yet again. Some walks haven't been touched for days with packets left on Yorks. All the managers really care about is getting the Specials and Tracked items delivered.

The USO isn't a priority for the business because of Covid and managers are quite reluctant to pay someone overtime just to clear the mail. They will, however, expect you to try and deliver 3 days worth of mail and packets in just one day. The Union will simply say work your hours and don't worry about the possible side effects of walks that are failing because managers won't pay overtime to get the mail cleared or staff going on sick through delivery pressure.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by noggin1969 »

What is the cut off procedure? Because today had arguments with stand in manager as I said I wasn’t doing lapsing, he said I had to take it out but I wasn’t going past my time today as I’ve had enough and felt too tired today, he then says I am lucky to be in a job at the moment and there are thousands of people who would jump at the chance of this job! He said I wasn’t following procedures properly and if I brought mail back it would be a disciplinary! I just said to him I’m doing my hours and that’s it, he then went crazy when I brought my last loop back and left lapsing in frame! He said he would take this further tomorrow, but it was crazy today and I just worked my hours they all just seem a bunch of bullies


http://glosamal.co.uk/Docs/CutOff%20Pro ... 20workplan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by POSTMAN »

Chelseablue wrote:What are the rms plans for this quiet christmas? Not heard a peep , so short of staff its gonna be fun
LTB 513/20 - Peak/Christmas Arrangements 2020/21
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Shocking what’s going on.

Post by hawkeye622 »

matthew68 wrote:
noggin1969 wrote:Stick to bag weight and delivery methods. Start on time , take your break/s , , follow cut off procedure , finish on time.
What is the cut off procedure? Because today had arguments with stand in manager as I said I wasn’t doing lapsing, he said I had to take it out but I wasn’t going past my time today as I’ve had enough and felt too tired today, he then says I am lucky to be in a job at the moment and there are thousands of people who would jump at the chance of this job! He said I wasn’t following procedures properly and if I brought mail back it would be a disciplinary! I just said to him I’m doing my hours and that’s it, he then went crazy when I brought my last loop back and left lapsing in frame! He said he would take this further tomorrow, but it was crazy today and I just worked my hours they all just seem a bunch of bullies
He sounds like an absolute bellend. Just do what you gotta do bud, work your hours. They really do drive you to not wanting to help them out at all.
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by hawkeye622 »

Dazdec197296 wrote:I’ve Been on the same job all week, Went in this morning to be told I was being put on another job that hadn’t gone out since Monday. When I got out on the round I had so much mail and parcels I had to deliver Mail first the go back around with parcels due to lack of room and weight of bag.
Tomorrow I am back on my job which didn’t go out today so I have now got double mail and parcels tomorrow. I am on a 30 hour contract and when I go in tomorrow I am going to tell them that from now on I am only going to work my contracted hours and not a minute over so they are not going to be happy but my well being and health is more important. Also is there anything the Union can do about us being made to do double and triple mail because the weight in the bags is very heavy and is surely a health and safety issue.
Its disgusting how some ppl are treated. There's a couple of guys in our office that always get shafted - always clearing frames with two or three days mail/d2ds & parcels. Shocking!
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by Bahia Feliz »

We are on a 7hr 36 day everyday now,do 1hr IPS. I am more or less only taking half my round out each day now (rural) plus the tracked/specials for the other half.
quite enjoying it actually,no hassle from managers,no absorption/lapsing,I take the other half the next day etc.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Shocking what's going on.

Post by 2yearpostie »

Split your loops into mini loops
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Shocking what's going on.

Post by Cucumber »

Bahia Feliz wrote:We are on a 7hr 36 day everyday now,do 1hr IPS. I am more or less only taking half my round out each day now (rural) plus the tracked/specials for the other half.
quite enjoying it actually,no hassle from managers,no absorption/lapsing,I take the other half the next day etc.
We are on practically the same daily hours as that, so minus break we are roughly 7 hours which translates as 1.5 hour indoor and 5.5 hours outdoor.
I read on the DISPUTE thread that the company want us to be first letter to last letter = 5 hours. Erm, we are well over that as it is.