ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Question about prep?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Itoldyouso
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Oct 2020, 19:02
Gender: Male

Question about prep?

Post by Itoldyouso »

What should be prepped in my frame as a part-timer? (27.5 hours a week)

I've been told so many different things from managers, I don't know if anyone can give me any clarity

I work 5.5 hours a day, am I correct in saying I should walk to my frame at the start time and EVERYTHING should be prepped in:

Sequenced mail
IPS mail
Small packets (in the frame or on top if too big) - and marked
and the Redirections are done?

Also, sometimes I will go in early and prep all the above for 1 hour overtime pay which is fair!
but a lot of the time I get to my frame, half the IPS is left and all the packets - What should I do If I get in and this happens?

I find it crazy how people can get away with only 1/2 prepping in a frame! nothing is ever done about it.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Question about prep?

Post by Sir Henry »

My part time partner walks in to everything prepped. Your predicament used to happen to me regularly, the culprit having already left on their walk before my starting time. I'd say an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half is more representative of the amount of time it takes to prep a full walk especially these days.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Question about prep?

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

It sounds like your first task of the day should be to call the lino over to look at what hasn’t been done and what would they like you to do. After 2 or 3 days they will hopefully get bored of you and make sure it’s done properly.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Question about prep?

Post by Route1 »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:It sounds like your first task of the day should be to call the lino over to look at what hasn’t been done and what would they like you to do. After 2 or 3 days they will hopefully get bored of you and make sure it’s done properly.
Completely agree with Grumpy. Done this a few times & either I left a bit in if I had something on or I claimed the o/t to finish it.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Question about prep?

Post by Route1 »

Itoldyouso wrote:What should be prepped in my frame as a part-timer? (27.5 hours a week)

I've been told so many different things from managers, I don't know if anyone can give me any clarity

I work 5.5 hours a day, am I correct in saying I should walk to my frame at the start time and EVERYTHING should be prepped in:

Sequenced mail
IPS mail
Small packets (in the frame or on top if too big) - and marked
and the Redirections are done?

Also, sometimes I will go in early and prep all the above for 1 hour overtime pay which is fair!
but a lot of the time I get to my frame, half the IPS is left and all the packets - What should I do If I get in and this happens?

I find it crazy how people can get away with only 1/2 prepping in a frame! nothing is ever done about it.
You wont get absolute clarity from here because different offices have different structures.

We are 5hr 43min
We have 43 minutes to tie down & get out the door.
In that 43 minutes we have to do the drop bag & large parcels, redirections, bag everything & load the van.

The delivery span is 4hr 30min (includes travel to from office & emptying van)
30min break
5hr 43min per day
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Question about prep?

Post by steve1873 »

Route1 wrote:
Itoldyouso wrote:What should be prepped in my frame as a part-timer? (27.5 hours a week)

I've been told so many different things from managers, I don't know if anyone can give me any clarity

I work 5.5 hours a day, am I correct in saying I should walk to my frame at the start time and EVERYTHING should be prepped in:

Sequenced mail
IPS mail
Small packets (in the frame or on top if too big) - and marked
and the Redirections are done?

Also, sometimes I will go in early and prep all the above for 1 hour overtime pay which is fair!
but a lot of the time I get to my frame, half the IPS is left and all the packets - What should I do If I get in and this happens?

I find it crazy how people can get away with only 1/2 prepping in a frame! nothing is ever done about it.
You wont get absolute clarity from here because different offices have different structures.

We are 5hr 43min
We have 43 minutes to tie down & get out the door.
In that 43 minutes we have to do the drop bag & large parcels, redirections, bag everything & load the van.

The delivery span is 4hr 30min (includes travel to from office & emptying van)
30min break
5hr 43min per day
That's not how delivery span is calculated. If span is 4 hours 30, that is first letter until last. Travelling time is in addition to that. Also, 48 minutes to do all that and carry out vehicle checks in at best, optimistic.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Question about prep?

Post by k979aaa »

Route1 wrote:
Itoldyouso wrote:What should be prepped in my frame as a part-timer? (27.5 hours a week)

I've been told so many different things from managers, I don't know if anyone can give me any clarity

I work 5.5 hours a day, am I correct in saying I should walk to my frame at the start time and EVERYTHING should be prepped in:

Sequenced mail
IPS mail
Small packets (in the frame or on top if too big) - and marked
and the Redirections are done?

Also, sometimes I will go in early and prep all the above for 1 hour overtime pay which is fair!
but a lot of the time I get to my frame, half the IPS is left and all the packets - What should I do If I get in and this happens?

I find it crazy how people can get away with only 1/2 prepping in a frame! nothing is ever done about it.
You wont get absolute clarity from here because different offices have different structures.

We are 5hr 43min
We have 43 minutes to tie down & get out the door.
In that 43 minutes we have to do the drop bag & large parcels, redirections, bag everything & load the van.

The delivery span is 4hr 30min (includes travel to from office & emptying van)
30min break
5hr 43min per day
Not just all offices but all walks are different and traveling times can effect this greatly.
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Question about prep?

Post by gimba »

Walk in
If it's not done tell manager
Prep your frame, if it takes 2 hours so be it
Longer indoors, less time outdoors
Tell manager you'll have to leave stuff behind
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Question about prep?

Post by NewPostieUK »

It can differ walk to walk never mind office to office. We had a part time duty that was way too easy and the answer was to have to part timer do some prep.

However.

This :
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:It sounds like your first task of the day should be to call the lino over to look at what hasn’t been done and what would they like you to do. After 2 or 3 days they will hopefully get bored of you and make sure it’s done properly.
or:
gimba wrote:Walk in
If it's not done tell manager
Prep your frame, if it takes 2 hours so be it
Longer indoors, less time outdoors
Tell manager you'll have to leave stuff behind
Don't forget you get 30 mins break, so you should do 5 hrs work.
Itoldyouso wrote: I work 5.5 hours a day
I'm on a 30 hr contract and everything is meant to be prepped. I prefer sorting packets myself, so if they aren't done, I don't complain, just claim overtime if I go over.

If I go in and not much is done, I get hold of the manager, take him to the frame and ask him what's going on. . what do you want me to do.
After a few days he makes sure the duty is prepped, until next time anyway.

So in answer to your question, it's meant to be fully prepped and when it isn't COMPLAIN!