ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Organising your van

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by Selhurst »

Advice please on how posties load their vans. I’m using one of the small vans, I have been numbering my bags and loading them in reverse order from the side door. I then put my trolley on top of the bags. I then load the oversize parcels from the rear doors, trying to get them bulked into road order. Sometimes I’ve messed up where I’ve been rushing and missed one or two, not realising til later on in the round and so having to backtrack. I’m a new postie and have been pulled up on me going over my time. Going to try doing a list on a printed sheet I have devised for oversize parcels, for example Cranford Road house number 2 x2, Acacia Avenue number 67 x1 and the same for specials. Any advice greatly received or if anyone has any other ideas to speed up.
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by toonshola »

Sounds like your doing things right. Making a list can definitely help. Don’t beat yourself up too much if you miss some though. The amount of parcels coming in now is crazy, I’ve been on the same delivery for 3 years and know it like the back of my hand but I still regularly get to the end and realise I’ve missed parcels throughout the delivery. It’s really tough at the moment unfortunately.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

All sounds good. Defiantly keep a list, I can remember what I have but there is always one time when you forget. Also mate sure if you have an oversized for an address that you don’t put anything else too big for the same address in your bag and it goes with the oversize. The amount of people I worked with when we were van sharing that don’t double check was unbelievable. You get to the house you did the oversized for and have to embarrass yourself by knocking again.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:All sounds good. Defiantly keep a list, I can remember what I have but there is always one time when you forget. Also mate sure if you have an oversized for an address that you don’t put anything else too big for the same address in your bag and it goes with the oversize. The amount of people I worked with when we were van sharing that don’t double check was unbelievable. You get to the house you did the oversized for and have to embarrass yourself by knocking again.
This. I go one step further. I load my biggies first, make a list of them and then go and check my frame and pull out any packers/mail for them so im not visiting the same address twice for anything.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by ted_e_bear »

Sounds like you're doing a great job, especially due to the amount of parcels since lockdown started this year.

Btw that bit about being pulled up by manager for going over pisses me off what do they expect!
ddtc
Posts: 253
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by ddtc »

Yeah I use a list, for actual 1pm specials I draw a ring round the house no on the list so i know which ones are specials. Always keep specials in one tray and place in the back.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by 2yearpostie »

Oversized parcels right hand side of van, last loops parcels at the bulkhead end, first parcels by the rear door, bags on the left hand side same order. You can make a list of oversized or if your not familiar with the walk pop a p739 in the fitting with oversized (address) written on it then you wont forget to do it after youve finished the post. ( just dont post it unless you mean to!) , Specials in a tray, with a list in the cab.
Last edited by 2yearpostie on 26 Oct 2020, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by postieblueshirt »

Ah just to confuse things I do my town park and loop the same as a rural would I use one bag for my delivery.all oversize in order up the right side of the van.my loop packets in trays in order on left side.the side door area is clear for partner to do what they like with their bags.and my mail goes left to right at the rear doors.any specials in a tray if needed.and I take my partner around the parcel loops with me because if he wants done he has to give me a hand if not sit in the rain and wait either way.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Organising your van

Post by twoloops »

2yearpostie wrote:Specials in a tray with a list in the cab.
Really specials upfront in the cab?
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

twoloops wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:Specials in a tray with a list in the cab.
Really specials upfront in the cab?
I worked with a bloke once who had a very bad habit when it came to specials, he kept them on the bloody dashboard. He got sacked for something else in the end
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by 2yearpostie »

twoloops wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:Specials in a tray, with a list in the cab.
Really specials upfront in the cab?

read it again , WITH A LIST IN THE CAB.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by scoobydo79 »

Sounds like You’ve got the hang of it to Me.Remind Your boss these deliveries were structured on I believe 2 door knocks let loop which is nothing like what We have now.
par4mrl
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 22:34
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by par4mrl »

I load my delivery in two rows from the back of the van then load my parcels into neat piles from the side door. All my parcels have small packets, specials etc and any mail tied to the parcel so I only visit the drop point once. It takes a little more time to tie up but I always seem to make that time up once outside and get back earlier than most. I am lucky I use a small van for a single duty as my partner elects to working later and sometimes has my van if I’m back before he goes out or gets another van from someone else that’s finished before me.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by ted_e_bear »

twoloops wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:Specials in a tray with a list in the cab.
Really specials upfront in the cab?
Think he missed a comma, it's just the list in the cab.
postmandick
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
Gender: Male

Organising your van

Post by postmandick »

I use 2 blue trays placed upside down in front footwell , resting my tray of packets on top ..... letters go on passenger seat ... Parcels go in left hand rear sliding door ..... 1st third of the round in order .... then I move parcels into order of delivery as I deliver .......