ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Travelling time

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by terry2972 »

Can you claim travelling time and mileage?
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by wallan »

terry2972 wrote:Can you claim travelling time and mileage?
? You will have to give more details
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by terry2972 »

If you go to another office and it takes 30 minutes to get there, so you claim that as overtime and then claim the mileage, or do you set off at your start time and travel in their time? Hope that makes sense
TheoF95
Posts: 57
Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by TheoF95 »

I work for Rurals (SPDO). I’m a reserve which means I cover rounds all over. Yes you get paid for travel and mileage.
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by osgoody1970 »

You go to YOUR office at your start time, they have to provide transport to get you to this other office, you then get transport from this other office to your own office to finish at your time at YOUR office not theirs.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by 97gaz »

It's important to note that if you are working at more than one office you will need business insurance. Insurance only covers commuting to a regular place of work. Business insurance will not cover you if you are carrying mail also.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by terry2972 »

Thank you Thoe that’s what I have been doing for seven years or so the Dom has just tried to tell me you can’t claim for both
TheoF95
Posts: 57
Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by TheoF95 »

You don’t get paid traveling time to drive to your home office. As soon as you reach your home office you can then claim OT if you have to travel to another office.

So if your home office is your local office. You can claim the travel time from that point. Hope that makes sense.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by terry2972 »

It does thank you
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by Bahia Feliz »

TheoF95 wrote:You don’t get paid traveling time to drive to your home office. As soon as you reach your home office you can then claim OT if you have to travel to another office.

So if your home office is your local office. You can claim the travel time from that point. Hope that makes sense.
If you're start time is say 6am and you sign in then get sent to another office you can't claim OT can you?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Travelling time

Post by clashcityrocker »

How can they send you to another office at the moment?
I would be surprised if there was a surplus van and they can't force you to share a van to get to the other office.
Which leaves public transport.
Turn up at your parent office. Insist they give you a bus timetable and a map. Walk to the bus stop. Wait for the bus. Get the bus to the other office. Walk from the bus stop to the office. Tie up the duty and then leave to walk to the bus stop. Get the bus back.
Return to your parent DO for your finish time.
Pointless.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
bishopoflove
Posts: 63
Joined: 02 Mar 2016, 09:45
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by bishopoflove »

I was recently sent to another office which was daft because there was plenty of duties to cover in ours, I reported as usual to my own office which they didn't like much as they wanted me to go straight to the other office , I responded to this by saying that this was my domain office and if they wanted me to go there they'd have to get me there, they gave me £40 to pay for the taxis they had ordered there and back which picked me up at 1.30pm for the return journey, I was really pissed off by the whole thing so I tipped the drivers both ways and gave them £1.50 back, very cost effective exercise I thought from a company that's trying to save money, don't you think, I think they'll think twice before sending me again.
bishopoflove
Posts: 63
Joined: 02 Mar 2016, 09:45
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by bishopoflove »

Almost forgot it was a HCT when I got there which I hadn't been trained on but I think I'd upset them enough for one day.
TheoF95
Posts: 57
Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by TheoF95 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
TheoF95 wrote:You don’t get paid traveling time to drive to your home office. As soon as you reach your home office you can then claim OT if you have to travel to another office.

So if your home office is your local office. You can claim the travel time from that point. Hope that makes sense.
If you're start time is say 6am and you sign in then get sent to another office you can't claim OT can you?
I’m a SPDO Rural reserve on a 25:00 contract. If I turn up at my home office at 7:00am to be told I’m needed at another office. I will drive from office A to office B and claim that as Travel O.T could be :30 to 1:00 PLUS mileage paid at 0.45p per mile.

Then I ask which duty i will cover. In rurals we have PT and FT so 6:00/7:36 rounds. We all prep our own walks.

I will throw in my walk and deliver it and claim the duty O.T and my start time would be the time I arrived at office B. So I’ll claim either 1:00 or 2:36 plus the travel time. If I go over I’ll claim that aswell. Always paid no issues.

So start your contracted hours when you reach office B and claim the time spent messing around and traveling before then.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Travelling time

Post by terry2972 »

That’s a good answer I still claim if he says I can’t I just won’t do the overtime lol