ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working set hours only

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Blue46
Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Oct 2020, 07:40
Gender: Female

Working set hours only

Post by Blue46 »

I started working with RM just over 3 weeks ago, I am on a 25hr contract (8.30am to 1.30pm) I accepted this position to fit in with my childcare requirements after working full time in an office environment. I understand it will take "time" to get my rhythm and speed up in regard to completing my route...so far I'm finishing around 3.30pm each day. Speaking with another postie in my depot, they said it is my choice to work "overtime" and I can simply finish at 1.30pm...is this true?

At this time, my manager is paying me overtime...get the feeling this is not going to last much longer, as I was asked to take an additional day off last week instead of getting paid my overtime :nervous
Iknockedtwice
Posts: 47
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by Iknockedtwice »

It will take you a little time to get up to speed but if you're going over by 2 hours every day then something is quite wrong.
I can imaging a manager not being overly happy to pay you that much extra when someone else can do the same job for much less.
You are not obliged to work past your hours but when you're new to the job it's inevitable that you'll run out of time quite regularly.
What is it that's causing you the bulk of your extra time? Is it that you're having to do too much prepping before you go out, that you're being put on walks you're unfamiliar with or that you're not a particularly fast walker?
How many walks have you been put on in the 3 weeks since you started?
Blue46
Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Oct 2020, 07:40
Gender: Female

Working set hours only

Post by Blue46 »

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I'm a slow Walker?? It's taking me 30mins to prep letters & small packages and about 10mins to prep large parcels and load the van. I have 10 loops, covering just over 18k & approx 660 possible houses to deliver too. I also have 1 additional daily lapsing loop too. It's been suggested that I complete each loop in 30mins (that equals 5.5hrs anyway...not including driving & parcel delivery time) I've been on the same walk since I started (5 days a week) and it's in and around my actual neighbourhood too.

My expectation of the role was to work between 8.30am to 1.30pm...I took the job so I could have a better work/life balance and be home for the school runs. I totally understand my day will be subject to volume of mail & weather conditions. What my question is...am I within my rights to turn round and say I have to finish at 1.30pm, even if I've not completed my rounds? And I'm totally aware that I'm only on a temporary contract until June 2021, so feels like I could get fired at anytime
Mr_P0stie
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by Mr_P0stie »

Blue46 wrote:Thanks for your reply. I don't think I'm a slow Walker?? It's taking me 30mins to prep letters & small packages and about 10mins to prep large parcels and load the van. I have 10 loops, covering just over 18k & approx 660 possible houses to deliver too. I also have 1 additional daily lapsing loop too. It's been suggested that I complete each loop in 30mins (that equals 5.5hrs anyway...not including driving & parcel delivery time) I've been on the same walk since I started (5 days a week) and it's in and around my actual neighbourhood too.

My expectation of the role was to work between 8.30am to 1.30pm...I took the job so I could have a better work/life balance and be home for the school runs. I totally understand my day will be subject to volume of mail & weather conditions. What my question is...am I within my rights to turn round and say I have to finish at 1.30pm, even if I've not completed my rounds? And I'm totally aware that I'm only on a temporary contract until June 2021, so feels like I could get fired at anytime
You do not have to work over your time, that’s it. Speak to your DOM and explain that you can't do any O/T and that you’re only going to work your contracted hours. Explain that your struggling with the work load and that you will be cutting off at your time before you leave to do the walk. Most DOMs will try and intimidate you or lie about some such rule but don't listen, just work your hours :wink: oh and take your break! Your entitled to a 30 min break :nana
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by wallan »

Ask the Manager / Workplace Coach to go out with you to show you where they think your going wrong , dont forget to take your Break
Blue46
Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Oct 2020, 07:40
Gender: Female

Working set hours only

Post by Blue46 »

Yeah...I'm also not taking my break either. Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate your help :-)
clockworkjerk
POST OFFICE
Posts: 54
Joined: 02 Nov 2008, 22:45
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by clockworkjerk »

You may not be doing anything wrong or slow - find out if the person doing it on your day off start at 830 and finish without going over while completing it all and lapsing?

The nous to chip away time here and there will come. Like knowing who's family/friends and who you can leave packets with - without even thinking about it etc etc.

Basically figure out where you are at 130 routinely and the next day.... tell the manager you won't be taking the rest out.... I'm assuming 2/3 loops.
Blue46
Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Oct 2020, 07:40
Gender: Female

Working set hours only

Post by Blue46 »

Thanks again. My day off has been confirmed as every Tuesday and my route then becomes an additional lapsing route for everyone to cover, so I have no way to gauge timescales.

I'll take note of my location at 130pm, see what I still have left to do.

Thanks again
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by Acca Dacca »

Blue46 wrote:Thanks again. My day off has been confirmed as every Tuesday and my route then becomes an additional lapsing route for everyone to cover, so I have no way to gauge timescales.

I'll take note of my location at 130pm, see what I still have left to do.

Thanks again
Unless that was in your contract, I dont think you should have every Tuesday off - see your rep about that

Also if you have 10 loops - unless a good few of them are very short loops - that is likely too many to be doable in your contracted hours.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Blue46
Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Oct 2020, 07:40
Gender: Female

Working set hours only

Post by Blue46 »

Prefect, just what I was thinking too and we don't have a Union rep based in our DO
Kooyong
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Jun 2011, 14:52
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by Kooyong »

In my experience unless it's a quiet day it's unlikely you will ever be able to do all that needs doing in 5 hours. If you're leaving the office at around 9.15, not taking a break, you're due back at office around 1.00-1.10. Less than 4 hours on delivery that includes time to get there and back
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by Tinoblade »

Iknockedtwice wrote:It will take you a little time to get up to speed but if you're going over by 2 hours every day then something is quite wrong.
Or its just super busy. I'm normally considered quick, even though I don't rush and at this time of year especially in the current situation I've been running over most days

You'll get there. This is a weird time and it is going to get worse over the next months. Don't think it's your fault. You will get a bit quicker naturally. If you don't want to work over, Work out how many loops you can do in the time left and leave the rest in
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Working set hours only

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

This is a daily battle in our office with the people taken on with the same hours as you. The truth is it is not achievable without doing overtime. I would bet your on one of the worst duty’s in the office that nobody wants and your frame is not prepped properly for you. I hope you can work something out but at our place dozens have come and gone in a short period once they realise the job/hours have been mis sold to them. Speak to your CWU rep tomorrow or call area if you don’t have a rep.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Working set hours only

Post by fb1969 »

Standard Royal Mail company practice unfortunately = take people on on a contract with insufficient hours for the workload. Less to pay them when on leave.

Office practice in far too many offices = give the newbies every Tuesday off. It means they'll work every Saturday.

Neither your fault, especially while you are learning and getting up to speed.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Working set hours only

Post by steve1873 »

Blue46 wrote:Thanks for your reply. I don't think I'm a slow Walker?? It's taking me 30mins to prep letters & small packages and about 10mins to prep large parcels and load the van. I have 10 loops, covering just over 18k & approx 660 possible houses to deliver too. I also have 1 additional daily lapsing loop too. It's been suggested that I complete each loop in 30mins (that equals 5.5hrs anyway...not including driving & parcel delivery time) I've been on the same walk since I started (5 days a week) and it's in and around my actual neighbourhood too.

My expectation of the role was to work between 8.30am to 1.30pm...I took the job so I could have a better work/life balance and be home for the school runs. I totally understand my day will be subject to volume of mail & weather conditions. What my question is...am I within my rights to turn round and say I have to finish at 1.30pm, even if I've not completed my rounds? And I'm totally aware that I'm only on a temporary contract until June 2021, so feels like I could get fired at anytime
You should not have ANY indoor work to do. That is it. If you are coming in to additional inddor work it's clear you do not have time to complete. You should immediately seek a manager and inform them you won't be able to complete and if you are happy to do overtime then tell them that, if not ask them for an instruction as to what to prioritise as something will have to be left.

You are only working 5 hours per day. 30 mins of which are paid meal relief, therefore you only have a net of 4.5 hours to complete including any travel time.

If they arent happy then ask them why they handed out contracts that are not fit for purpose.