In people's opinion / experience whats the best way to get a transfer to another delivery office?
I am on a 27.5 hour contract as a leave reserve and my delivery office is a 20 mile round trip so I spend 100 miles on petrol every week, also lots of commuting time for not many hours and not enough pay to live on. I have an office just down the road with the added bonus that I am more likely to get more hours and it will likely be much quicker to get my own walk and be able to plan my days off etc.
Successfactors has a limited number of vacancies and can never see any in the DO I want to go to. Someone said just rock up to the DO and ask to speak to the DOM there. Is that a good idea?
Any advice useful. I really love the job, but the 100 mile commute and time and expense to just get 27.5 hours a week with no hope of getting more hours or my own walk at my current place isn't really sustainable and I would love to work more locally and not waste so much time and money getting too and fro where I work for not many hours. And now that I do late starts (12.30pm) means I can't get over time doing scheduled attendance also.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Best way to Transfer
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Best way to Transfer
Obviously you can't transfer to a DO that doesn't have any vacancies.
For various reasons not all vacancies are on success factors.
The only way to know for sure if the DO you want to transfer to has vacancies is if you go and ask the DOM.
You could ask if there was any chance of you working your day off in that DO so he would get to know you.
For various reasons not all vacancies are on success factors.
The only way to know for sure if the DO you want to transfer to has vacancies is if you go and ask the DOM.
You could ask if there was any chance of you working your day off in that DO so he would get to know you.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Iknockedtwice
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
^This.
A DO can’t just create a job for you, it’s just a case of playing the waiting game, though getting to know the DO and the DOM will definitely go in your favour.
Just because an office may be short it doesn’t mean they’re allowed to fill all the vacancies, the one I’m off to is at least 5 short but was only allowed to recruit 2.
A DO can’t just create a job for you, it’s just a case of playing the waiting game, though getting to know the DO and the DOM will definitely go in your favour.
Just because an office may be short it doesn’t mean they’re allowed to fill all the vacancies, the one I’m off to is at least 5 short but was only allowed to recruit 2.
-
CHUCKYPIG
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
OK ta for the advice. Sounds like it can't do any harm to pop in and see the DOM and explain my situation as well as keep an eye on successfactors
-
Route1
- Posts: 369
- Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
- Gender: Female
Best way to Transfer
Thats what I did when I was going to transfer. I went to the Offices I was willing to work in & more of less interviewed the managers about how its run, scheduled attendance shifts, working earlies, whats supposed to be prepped for me in the morning, absence levels, working days off, cutting off etc. I could grill the managers because I've worked with them and i've pulled them out of trouble before. One even offered me cover callers office role as well as nice duty because the vacancy was created by a postie becoming a manager.CHUCKYPIG wrote:OK ta for the advice. Sounds like it can't do any harm to pop in and see the DOM and explain my situation as well as keep an eye on successfactors
What I got out of it was any manager would rather take an experienced postie who comes in hitting the ground running rather any a stab in the dark new guy.
Key points for you to mention would be that you'll be saving time / money on travel therefore be a happier postie. Also willing help out doing extended / more hours when needed to boost your pay. Once in the new office you dont have to if you dont want to.
There is no guarantee of more hours or increased chance of your own duty. Expect more of the same as in your current office but with less time travelling to work.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
All good suggestions.
The "Official" Transfer system never seems to work that well...... you've often got to give it some "Un-Official" help i.e Popping in to chat to the DOM. Anyone in that office willing to do a swap? We've always got Posties that pass each other going to work in each other's Towns. Why HR can't Recruit a bit more sensibly is beyond me. 
The one thing I would advise is read the small print when you finally get offered a transfer .... make sure it's what you asked for.
I got burned a few years ago. managed to get a transfer on a nod & a wink thought I'd got a staright FT for FT swap.... ended up on a PT contract FFS
Did I give myself a good kicking. 
The one thing I would advise is read the small print when you finally get offered a transfer .... make sure it's what you asked for.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
Sorry to jump on this thread but I have got a colleague who is desperate for a transfer as he is moving to a new town. He has found a vacancy which is advertised and he is not bothered about going from FT down to PT. the vacancy is advertised as being temporary until 27/6/21 like they all seem to be at the moment. If he takes the job does that still apply to him, anyone know? Cheers
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
Grumpy, according to the first post in the linked thread here: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=97532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Sorry to jump on this thread but I have got a colleague who is desperate for a transfer as he is moving to a new town. He has found a vacancy which is advertised and he is not bothered about going from FT down to PT. the vacancy is advertised as being temporary until 27/6/21 like they all seem to be at the moment. If he takes the job does that still apply to him, anyone know? Cheers
if he is already on a permanent contract he can't apply for this temporary contract......
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
Thank youyellowbelly wrote:Grumpy, according to the first post in the linked thread here: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=97532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Sorry to jump on this thread but I have got a colleague who is desperate for a transfer as he is moving to a new town. He has found a vacancy which is advertised and he is not bothered about going from FT down to PT. the vacancy is advertised as being temporary until 27/6/21 like they all seem to be at the moment. If he takes the job does that still apply to him, anyone know? Cheers
if he is already on a permanent contract he can't apply for this temporary contract......
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
They tried it with me years ago kept offering my 20 hours because I was becoming a pain in the arse because my transfer took years.as others have said you need to find a dom willing to take you on I kept my ft hours think I was one of the last so he told me
-
Iknockedtwice
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
- Gender: Male
Best way to Transfer
He can still apply but if they only need someone short term he won’t be considered for it. If, however, they need someone to fill a permanent vacancy then he will.yellowbelly wrote:Grumpy, according to the first post in the linked thread here: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=97532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Sorry to jump on this thread but I have got a colleague who is desperate for a transfer as he is moving to a new town. He has found a vacancy which is advertised and he is not bothered about going from FT down to PT. the vacancy is advertised as being temporary until 27/6/21 like they all seem to be at the moment. If he takes the job does that still apply to him, anyone know? Cheers
if he is already on a permanent contract he can't apply for this temporary contract......
Basically, apply for anything and everything within your locale and if HR can match you up with a vacancy then they will but your contract won’t change from permanent to temporary, no matter what the job description says.