ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Waterproof jacket
-
smartecosse
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
So, I have a "waterproof" jacket that was sort of okay in moderate rain but anything heavy or prolonged and I either get wet or have to wear a proper waterproof one underneath the Royal Mail issued one.
Its now about a year old and really just shower proof so needs replacing.
I see that it says unavailable on the dimensions website. Does anyone know if there is a proper replacement one due, one that its actually designed for continuous outdoor door use in prolonged wet weather?
Thanks
Its now about a year old and really just shower proof so needs replacing.
I see that it says unavailable on the dimensions website. Does anyone know if there is a proper replacement one due, one that its actually designed for continuous outdoor door use in prolonged wet weather?
Thanks
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
I think that will be a no then!,,good waterproof coats cost money and Royal Mail won’t spend money on us,despite them saying it’s been vigorously tested,like most equipment we have,simply not fit for purpose
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
Buy and wear your own it's the only way.i wear comfy trainers now even when raining my feet always get soaked but better than having feet like lead.wear what's comfortable dont care what they say anymore...
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
the dimensions ones are shite haha.
normally when it rains now I wear the waterproof and the storm jacket on top. still get soaked. was out in 7 hours constant rain earlier. by the time I got back in i was more water than postie.
normally when it rains now I wear the waterproof and the storm jacket on top. still get soaked. was out in 7 hours constant rain earlier. by the time I got back in i was more water than postie.
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
Waterproof jacket
Short answer ,Get yer own Goretex and wear it under the storm coat in heavy down pours.
Oh ,and get yourself some decent leggings at the same time.
Red cagoules are waste of time in rain but ok to keep windchill off on breezy days
Yellow Stormcoats waterproofing ok first but degrades with wear and tear.
Sorry,I can’t be more helpful.
Oh ,and get yourself some decent leggings at the same time.
Red cagoules are waste of time in rain but ok to keep windchill off on breezy days
Yellow Stormcoats waterproofing ok first but degrades with wear and tear.
Sorry,I can’t be more helpful.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
Also were talking about 5 to 6 hours in heavy rain no affordable coat will keep the rain out that long not helped by bending stretching bag straps etc...
-
chocolatesaltyballs
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 11 May 2014, 18:31
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
You can pick up a decent Gore Tex jacket on eBay for about £80 which is a good investment in my opinion. It's your health after all and Royal Mail are never going to supply great waterproofs. I'd stay away from second hand ones though as they'd probably need reproofing.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
I have a couple of water proof ponchos (£1.50 each from Home Bargains) I just sling one of them on over my so called ''storm proof'' when there's any really heavy downpours.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
Try washing it ,following the instructions, then get some Fabsil Waterproofing spray from an outdoor shop. Follow those instructions and it should re-proof your old jacket fairly well.smartecosse wrote:So, I have a "waterproof" jacket ......Its now about a year old and really just shower proof so needs replacing.
Collect a couple of jackets (most of us end up with a few) and change your jacket after a few hours delivery. You can always wear one with an Extra Large Jacket over that.
I agree with the idea of getting some of your own waterproof leggings.
I sometimes think Posties must be taking part in Ultra Marathons when they start talking about Trainers being too Heavy, Hi-Vis Tabbards being Inconvenient and Storm Jackets being too Big & Bulky. At least at the end of the day you can go home, have a hot shower and put some dry kit on!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
scotboyblue
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
I was lucky I managed to pick up a decent Rab downpour goretex jacket in the sale ended up including voucher code I paid less than £50 for it. The waterproofs we are given aren’t suitable for the amount of hours we are out . They are so uncomfortable and definitely not waterproof. I also purchase my own shoes now as I would rather be comfortable at my work than coming home with sore feet. Some of my colleagues think It’s daft to spend money on uniform when we get supplied it for free. To me though I would rather be pain free and dry when doing my job.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
Good idea Wacko.wacko74 wrote:I have a couple of water proof ponchos (£1.50 each from Home Bargains) I just sling one of them on over my so called ''storm proof'' when there's any really heavy downpours.
Nowadays I'm still pushing Newspapers through people's letterboxes .... because whoever delivers them always seems to leave them sticking out in the rain, and you can't post the mail.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
As with junk mail leaflets that are delivered by other companies, the reason why they're sticking halfway out of the letter slots is so that a supervisor or manager from that leaflet/newspaper company drives around to check that the leaflets are actually delivered.Dorset Plodder wrote:Nowadays I'm still pushing Newspapers through people's letterboxes .... because whoever delivers them always seems to leave them sticking out in the rain, and you can't post the mail.
It would suck for the people delivering those door-to-doors or newspapers if a Royal Mail postie follows behind and shoves them all the way through the letter slots. Like I do.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
Ha HaPostmanBitesDog wrote:As with junk mail leaflets that are delivered by other companies, the reason why they're sticking halfway out of the letter slots is so that a supervisor or manager from that leaflet/newspaper company drives around to check that the leaflets are actually delivered.Dorset Plodder wrote:Nowadays I'm still pushing Newspapers through people's letterboxes .... because whoever delivers them always seems to leave them sticking out in the rain, and you can't post the mail.
It would suck for the people delivering those door-to-doors or newspapers if a Royal Mail postie follows behind and shoves them all the way through the letter slots. Like I do.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Waterproof jacket
Very Amusing video Postman
Customers often give me the same "No one writes letters anymore .... I just get junk mail..... I'd rather send an e-mail" argument.
The only thing I can say in our Defence is, "Do really think Royal Mail is going to keep 100,000 staff in employment just so you can get your Christmas & Birthday Cards"?
It may not be so obvious to Joe Public but it does surprise me that Posties seem to be unaware of how "Junk Mail" helps to pay our wages. I just prep & deliver it in RMs time and don't worry about it. Wish we still got paid for each individual contract though, that was a nice little earner.
The only thing I can say in our Defence is, "Do really think Royal Mail is going to keep 100,000 staff in employment just so you can get your Christmas & Birthday Cards"?
It may not be so obvious to Joe Public but it does surprise me that Posties seem to be unaware of how "Junk Mail" helps to pay our wages. I just prep & deliver it in RMs time and don't worry about it. Wish we still got paid for each individual contract though, that was a nice little earner.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)