ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Back pain
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Back pain
I’ve suffered with back pain for a few years now. The pain is located on the right side of my spine in the thoracic region and is persistent while I’m working. Even small tasks can cause a lot of pain, like prepping d2d or posting mail through a low level letterbox. I never carry a bag on my back, I’m a reserve on rurals which means a lot of getting in and out of vans. I’ve been to an osteopath a couple of times but the pain soon comes back. Anyone else suffer from back pain and how do you cope?
-
Andymanch
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 11 Jul 2019, 03:02
- Gender: Male
Back pain
I have a long history of pain next to the spine half was down my back, I used to take prescription codine everyday and the full dosage to mainly try stop the pain coming on as it was like torture once it does and feels like a trapped nerve but after a year and half I was getting concerned about being dependent on them and them eventually becoming less effective so invested in a double pull back support belt from eBay with magnets and a natural heat pad that warms up with water (or sweat) and it's been a great help for me,
I find it gets too hot if it's against my skin so wear a t-shirt and the belt over it but not had to take pain killers for years since and only usually get it now if I'm really tired and when I'm on leave and not wearing the belt
Obviously everyone's pain is different but in my case it was the best £4-£5 I ever spent and can now function normally and get on with my job without feeling like a contorshanist as the pain gets worse and worse as the shift goes on.
I find it gets too hot if it's against my skin so wear a t-shirt and the belt over it but not had to take pain killers for years since and only usually get it now if I'm really tired and when I'm on leave and not wearing the belt
Obviously everyone's pain is different but in my case it was the best £4-£5 I ever spent and can now function normally and get on with my job without feeling like a contorshanist as the pain gets worse and worse as the shift goes on.
-
wallop
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 251
- Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
- Gender: Male
Back pain
I had a slipped disc in about 2001 and i kept suffering for years with pain coming and going hobbling about like i had a wooden leg at times.
It has completely gone away since i bought myself a bike, i cycled to work for a couple of years 2 or 3 times a week and i've been pretty damn useless at cycling this year only been out 2 or 3 times around the local forest but the pain has never returned.
It has completely gone away since i bought myself a bike, i cycled to work for a couple of years 2 or 3 times a week and i've been pretty damn useless at cycling this year only been out 2 or 3 times around the local forest but the pain has never returned.
-
midegarelu
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 414
- Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 07:09
- Gender: Male
- Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Back pain
Jpro747 wrote:I’ve suffered with back pain for a few years now. The pain is located on the right side of my spine in the thoracic region and is persistent while I’m working. Even small tasks can cause a lot of pain, like prepping d2d or posting mail through a low level letterbox. I never carry a bag on my back, I’m a reserve on rurals which means a lot of getting in and out of vans. I’ve been to an osteopath a couple of times but the pain soon comes back. Anyone else suffer from back pain and how do you cope?
GO TO YOUR DOCTOR.
BACK PAIN IN THE THORACIC AREA MAY NOT BE BACK PAIN BUT SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS!
Apologies for shouting, but sometimes it's necessary.
A quick scan will often find the correct answer.
"We employ you so we can sack you"
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Back pain
I refuse to use the combos it's like getting in and out of a sports car, on a rural with 60 odd stops like that, it does me in. Peugeot are far better. I always use a lwt but find I'm a bit twisted now from it.max49 wrote:Which type of van do you usually drive? I find the peugeot vans better than the vauxhall cv vans which I feel I have to climb out of.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Back pain
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Back wasn’t too bad today after doing some stretches before going on delivery (much to the amusement of my colleagues) . Yes I use those wretched combo vans and all 6’2 of me has to get in and out of there multiple times a day, not pretty!
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Back pain
If you have pug partners ask to change your van for one, 6ft+ people don't fit in combos.Jpro747 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Back wasn’t too bad today after doing some stretches before going on delivery (much to the amusement of my colleagues) . Yes I use those wretched combo vans and all 6’2 of me has to get in and out of there multiple times a day, not pretty!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Back pain
People who are under 5'10" don't fit in them as well cheep crap vans for kid's to drive about in seriously if I chopped my leg's off at the knee and moved the seat forward could still touch the pedals!rambo1 wrote:If you have pug partners ask to change your van for one, 6ft+ people don't fit in combos.Jpro747 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Back wasn’t too bad today after doing some stretches before going on delivery (much to the amusement of my colleagues) . Yes I use those wretched combo vans and all 6’2 of me has to get in and out of there multiple times a day, not pretty!