ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
christhepuma
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 Jul 2019, 19:14
Gender: Male

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Post by christhepuma »

Hi. I plan to hand in my notice but when I do I will still have about 2 weeks unused holiday. I read in my contract that I need to use it during the notice period rather than being paid for it. Will it automatically be the last 2 weeks so I effectively work the first 2 weeks and then am on holiday the last 2 weeks? Or could they reverse it and make me take it in the first 2 weeks and make me work up to the end date?
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Post by baldrick »

It was seven years ago, but when I took VR I had two weeks and two days leave still owed (I worked the 13 weeks notice).
It was allocated to the last period of my service, so my last day of work was two weeks and two days earlier than my last day of service (ldos).
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

christhepuma wrote:Hi. I plan to hand in my notice but when I do I will still have about 2 weeks unused holiday. I read in my contract that I need to use it during the notice period rather than being paid for it. Will it automatically be the last 2 weeks so I effectively work the first 2 weeks and then am on holiday the last 2 weeks? Or could they reverse it and make me take it in the first 2 weeks and make me work up to the end date?
Beware.

Annual leave is acrued over the year so if you leave early then you are not entitled to a full leave year. This can cause problems if you have taken all the leave for the year, but you only work 6 months of that year, in this case you could end up owing them.

Leave is acrued at roughly 2.5 days per month.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Post by feduppostie »

teebs is correct, have you taken any of your annual leave this year? If so you could be owed nothing or end up owing it back ( and it would be recovered from your final wage), at this time of year handing your notice in, you will be entitled to roughly half of your annual leave allocation, so say it is 180 hours you will be entitled to 90, which if you have already taken some, may be used up.

You would only be entitled to the full year allocation if you worked until near end of March 2021
christhepuma
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 Jul 2019, 19:14
Gender: Male

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Post by christhepuma »

I have worked my holiday out pro rata and added on bank holidays and hours carried over from last year, and so the 2 weeks is fairly accurate. I assume once handing in notice I will work the first 2 weeks and then the unused holiday will kick in, effectively meaning I only work for 2 weeks?
Dazdec197296
Posts: 16
Joined: 04 Aug 2019, 19:21
Gender: Male

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Post by Dazdec197296 »

As a Part Timer who has had enough of being spoken too and treated like dirt I am also going to hand my notice in. If I only give them a weeks notice is there anything they can do, I know your supposed to give 4 weeks but I’ve reached a point now where I couldn’t work 4 more weeks for this company.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Handing notice in but still have holiday left

Post by k979aaa »

Dazdec197296 wrote:As a Part Timer who has had enough of being spoken too and treated like dirt I am also going to hand my notice in. If I only give them a weeks notice is there anything they can do, I know your supposed to give 4 weeks but I’ve reached a point now where I couldn’t work 4 more weeks for this company.
I guess only get paid weekly so give them a week notice they will get someone else 4 Weeks is an obscene amount of time for any job unless your the CEO so good luck and all the best all these things come under contract so beware but four weeks? If you get paid monthly it could have an impact on you as to suing you for breech of contract so give them a month notice and no more it is not going too happen as they only wish the people they employ be subservient donkeys so I guess you don't fit in and be gone with you. But all the best in your future endeavours!