ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Returning to work for RM after IHR
-
Queeg500
- Posts: 37
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 11:24
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
I seem to remember when I got IHR 1.5 years ago the terms stipulated that returning to RM within 2 years would mean repayment of the lump sum would be required.
Anyone know if this is on a scale? Would seem a little off to return a week/month early and have to repay the entire amount, I can't find anything in writing in the ill health agreement about returning tho. Anyone have any knowledge/experience of this?
Cheers
Anyone know if this is on a scale? Would seem a little off to return a week/month early and have to repay the entire amount, I can't find anything in writing in the ill health agreement about returning tho. Anyone have any knowledge/experience of this?
Cheers
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
Its very unlikely that they will re employ you. If they did you would have to provide sound medical evidence to prove you are fit to work. As far as i know you have to wait at least 2 years before you can apply at all. In the meantime you can still work as a casual or through an agency.
-
poisonpostie
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 19:29
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
Why on earth would you want to return to this hell on earth job? 
-
Stella102
- Posts: 597
- Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
when you leave via ill health i think they tick a box saying cannot re-employ. happened to a mate of mine
-
Jefferson Starfish
- Posts: 905
- Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: Greendale DO
Returning to work for RM after IHR
There's a bloke at my DO who returned to work for RM after getting IHR, he had to give the lump sum back.
Whether you're allowed to return would depend on the health reason you left in the first place and whether you've recovered or not. The bloke at my DO had recovered!
Whether you're allowed to return would depend on the health reason you left in the first place and whether you've recovered or not. The bloke at my DO had recovered!
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
Returning to work for RM after IHR
My rep told me the minimum requirement was 12 months and you had to have medical proof that the condition you had that caused IHR would no longer be an issue in any future employment. As for paying any monies back I can't say, best bet would be to contact HR or your union branch.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
Seems a bit like taking the pxxs to accept a lump sum payment for ill health retirement then expect that you can come back to work if you ask me. So you just wanted a couple of yrs paid holidays?Queeg500 wrote:I seem to remember when I got IHR 1.5 years ago the terms stipulated that returning to RM within 2 years would mean repayment of the lump sum would be required.
Anyone know if this is on a scale? Would seem a little off to return a week/month early and have to repay the entire amount, I can't find anything in writing in the ill health agreement about returning tho. Anyone have any knowledge/experience of this?
Cheers
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Returning to work for RM after IHR
A tad harsh.rambo1 wrote: Seems a bit like taking the pxxs to accept a lump sum payment for ill health retirement then expect that you can come back to work if you ask me. So you just wanted a couple of yrs paid holidays?
IHR isn't very much money, certainly not enough to fund 2 years holidays.
And if you aren't well, what is the value of that money anyway? What price good health?
And in answer to the original post - I have known people return to the business after taking IHR. And why not?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
Are you still in job?? if so why??poisonpostie wrote:Why on earth would you want to return to this hell on earth job?
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
Returning to work for RM after IHR
Correct, the money certainly won't last 2 years and generally most people are in a pretty bad way health wise when they do go on IHR. The monies you get is there to compensate you, to a point, till such a time as you're fit enough to get other employment.clashcityrocker wrote:A tad harsh.rambo1 wrote: Seems a bit like taking the pxxs to accept a lump sum payment for ill health retirement then expect that you can come back to work if you ask me. So you just wanted a couple of yrs paid holidays?
IHR isn't very much money, certainly not enough to fund 2 years holidays.
And if you aren't well, what is the value of that money anyway? What price good health?
And in answer to the original post - I have known people return to the business after taking IHR. And why not?
-
Route1
- Posts: 369
- Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
- Gender: Female
Returning to work for RM after IHR
I know of a Manager getting paid off & then getting a job as a postie before another IHR. I couldnt believe they'd hire this OAP over a younger fitter leaner person. Diversity?
I dont know the timescale between leaving management & getting postie job. I heard it from a customers cousins ex while she was sleeping the neighbours etc... Apart from that it is a true story
I dont know the timescale between leaving management & getting postie job. I heard it from a customers cousins ex while she was sleeping the neighbours etc... Apart from that it is a true story
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
Returning to work for RM after IHR
Funnily enough I heard the exact same thing about 10 years ago. A long standing manager getting IHR, for stress IIRC, then coming back as a posties 18 months later.Route1 wrote:I know of a Manager getting paid off & then getting a job as a postie before another IHR. I couldnt believe they'd hire this OAP over a younger fitter leaner person. Diversity?
I dont know the timescale between leaving management & getting postie job. I heard it from a customers cousins ex while she was sleeping the neighbours etc... Apart from that it is a true story
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
That's what I think Clash .... "Health Before Wealth" .... is the way i look at it.clashcityrocker wrote: A tad harsh.
IHR isn't very much money, certainly not enough to fund 2 years holidays.
And if you aren't well, what is the value of that money anyway? What price good health?
And in answer to the original post - I have known people return to the business after taking IHR. And why not?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
Well that makes a refreshing change .... A Failed Manager becoming a Postie! In my experience it's normally the other way around.Sugar wrote:
Funnily enough I heard the exact same thing about 10 years ago. A long standing manager getting IHR, for stress IIRC, then coming back as a posties 18 months later.
Although I do know one DOM who was Busted from DOM to Postie (due to Gross Negligence/Incompetence/Fraud ..... don't know why they kept him in the Business?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Queeg500
- Posts: 37
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 11:24
- Gender: Male
Returning to work for RM after IHR
rambo1 wrote: Seems a bit like taking the pxxs to accept a lump sum payment for ill health retirement then expect that you can come back to work if you ask me. So you just wanted a couple of yrs paid holidays?
I don't argue with idiots, so our interaction is over, but here are the facts for you:
I was off due to mental health issues. Both my parents died of cancer over an 8 months period, I was trying to manage being their full time carer and work, I suffered severe depression, anxiety as well as other stuff (aka a breakdown).
I've done a lot of counselling and I'm well enough to return to employment.
Not that its any of your business, perhaps before running your mouth you might consider that sometimes people have to deal with real problems, there's no time limit on when they might overcome those problems, implying me, or anyone else, should never work again because of being on IHR, (caused by a situation beyond my control, that I have overcome), is kind of dumb.
I always enjoyed the job, left on very good terms, had a good relationship with manager and most of the office. I miss it.
Appreciate everyone else taking the time to offer helpful replies tho.