Iv glanced to see if anyone else has posted something so apologies if I’m repeating what’s already been raised ...
Basically I’m on a 35 hour contract. 29 is delivery and the other 6 working in callers office. The timetable was always Wednesday night.
Anyway, last week, they decided to change it to Thursday which doesn’t suit me at all.
I have offered to come in 45 mins early every day to make up the hours or do a half walk on a Wednesday (including the oversize packets) unpaid to make up the hours. However, this hasn’t been accepted by management and they either want me to take 2 loops unpaid overtime for 4 days or reduce my hours. Iv said no to these options and am sticking to my two proposals.
Where do I stand on this? Any suggestions?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Contract issue
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Contract issue
Unpaid is a slippery slope for all can you manage with less hours and pick up hours later or when it suits you while being paid for it?FilthyBloke wrote:Iv glanced to see if anyone else has posted something so apologies if I’m repeating what’s already been raised ...
Basically I’m on a 35 hour contract. 29 is delivery and the other 6 working in callers office. The timetable was always Wednesday night.
Anyway, last week, they decided to change it to Thursday which doesn’t suit me at all.
I have offered to come in 45 mins early every day to make up the hours or do a half walk on a Wednesday (including the oversize packets) unpaid to make up the hours. However, this hasn’t been accepted by management and they either want me to take 2 loops unpaid overtime for 4 days or reduce my hours. Iv said no to these options and am sticking to my two proposals.
Where do I stand on this? Any suggestions?
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
Involve the rep. Lots of unforeseen pitfalls with this malarkey.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
wallan
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
Nearly all Extended opening hour,s for " Callers Offices " are on Wednesdays
As has been advised , see your Rep
As has been advised , see your Rep
-
I_Take_My_Breaks
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 07 Feb 2014, 09:13
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
Accordingly, the joint statement which is attached has been agreed with Royal Mail which further extends the planned CSP opening hours across the week from Tuesday 1st September onwards as outlined below;wallan wrote:Nearly all Extended opening hour,s for " Callers Offices " are on Wednesdays
As has been advised , see your Rep
Very large and Large CSPs will open on Thursday from 8:00-20:00
Medium and Small CSPs will open on Thursday from 08:00-14:00 and 16:00-20:00
Very Large and Large CSPs will open on Wednesday from 08:00-12:00
Very Large and Large CSPs will open on Sunday from 11:00-15:00
Large and Medium CSPs will open for an additional hour on Saturday, from 08:00-14:00
The majority of CSPs will open and close one hour later across the week.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Contract issue
If you are on a 35 hour contract and you are still being paid for 35 hours in both examples cited above, how is any of it unpaid?FilthyBloke wrote: 1.I have offered to come in 45 mins early every day to make up the hours or do a half walk on a Wednesday (including the oversize packets) unpaid to make up the hours.
2. However, this hasn’t been accepted by management and they either want me to take 2 loops unpaid overtime for 4 days or reduce my hours.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
FilthyBloke
- Posts: 685
- Joined: 03 Jun 2018, 11:41
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
Because normally I do that and get paid overtime for it. I’m telling them now I will do it unpaid to make up the hours I owe.clashcityrocker wrote:If you are on a 35 hour contract and you are still being paid for 35 hours in both examples cited above, how is any of it unpaid?FilthyBloke wrote: 1.I have offered to come in 45 mins early every day to make up the hours or do a half walk on a Wednesday (including the oversize packets) unpaid to make up the hours.
2. However, this hasn’t been accepted by management and they either want me to take 2 loops unpaid overtime for 4 days or reduce my hours.
-
Fdeezy
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 21:12
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
6 hours to do half a walk? Can't believe they turned that down...
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
Yes but it's not unpaid if you're making up hours.FilthyBloke wrote:Because normally I do that and get paid overtime for it. I’m telling them now I will do it unpaid to make up the hours I owe.clashcityrocker wrote:If you are on a 35 hour contract and you are still being paid for 35 hours in both examples cited above, how is any of it unpaid?FilthyBloke wrote: 1.I have offered to come in 45 mins early every day to make up the hours or do a half walk on a Wednesday (including the oversize packets) unpaid to make up the hours.
2. However, this hasn’t been accepted by management and they either want me to take 2 loops unpaid overtime for 4 days or reduce my hours.
You want to make up your hours one way, your Dom wants you to make up your hours another way. To be honest unless your contract stipulates a rigid duty pattern which these days I doubt you're not in a very strong position.
If you look at it from management's point of view business requirements mean the work isn't there on a Wednesday.
They have offered you Thursday as a replacement.
You have refused.
They have offered you two separate alternatives to make up the hours.
You have refused.
While like you I would still keep negotiating up until I ran out of breath I would also be aware that at the end of the day I'm not really fighting from a position of strength.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Contract issue
Guthrie, you are a born diplomat :)
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
I have to thank my father for that.Janet Brum wrote:Guthrie, you are a born diplomat :)
He was a manager (not RM) in the 70s/80s.
His preferred method of dealing with union officials was to ask them out to the car park for a square go*.
*You might have to Google that but I think you get the picture.
Conflict resolution was something I learned early.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
FilthyBloke
- Posts: 685
- Joined: 03 Jun 2018, 11:41
- Gender: Male
Contract issue
It’s ok. I got what I wanted. Despite not being in a position of strength I have a good poker face.