ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Well paid yes or no?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Shirtbuttons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Sep 2020, 14:46
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Shirtbuttons »

Most people consider this a well paid job. Weather this is because they have no friends outside of this job or they are single with no commitments I really don’t know. From my experience I am the laughing stock of my friends because I work the hardest, including Saturdays and earn less than nearly all of them. Some work in shops, on the buses, trains, and factories and all have nice cars and lovely homes. Most people I work with have nothing. Clapped out cars , renting because they can’t get a mortgage and just surviving.

I really think it’s probably easier if you are in this job up north where living is cheaper.Even the managers are on poor wages compared to other managerial jobs. I know this as my wife is a manager in a large company. The average wage in the uk is k28 so is this really a well paid job?
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Ricardo44 »

If you're a senior postie with a nice singleton rural duty then yes. For most other staff i would say no. The money may seem good for an unskilled job but when you factor in the backbreaking workloads, bullying and harrassment and all the other crap we have to put up with then IMO it isnt really.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Tinoblade »

I've always said yes it's well paid, however I live up north and my mortgage is very small and I have no children. If I wanted a larger house and wanted to have children I think I'd really struggle. But then I am only part time and that's my choice
So for people with new cars, a few kids and a decent size house I have no idea how they get by unless they're partners earn a decent amount
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Yamr1 »

Defo no
Very demanding job
Hard on your body when people can get mostly same wage sitting on there arse in a telephone center
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Well paid yes or no?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yamr1 wrote:Defo no
Very demanding job
Hard on your body when people can get mostly same wage sitting on there arse in a telephone center
Done both.

Call centre - minimum wage, targets on calls taken, automated pushing calls through, cold calling (you don't like getting them I didn't like making them), every second watched, including toilet visits, unpaid breaks, calls recorded for later analysis, idiots calling you all the names under the sun (customer not managers) high-stress levels and no Union.

Would I swap that for an £11 per hour PT wage posties job - Not a f....... chance.

Perhaps the wrong question has been asked, is this job worth the stress and hassle and the toll it takes physically on a 20 hour or less wage - No. But for 30 - 38 hour its acceptable.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Yamr1 »

You do get good call center wages , wife works for a company as a boss but knows there pay grade shes not in the call center but they start at 20,000 and over certain time move up to 28,000 so more than a postie and about 1,000 bonus every yr

All company's different but as you no
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Yamr1 »

Plus not cold calling
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by 2yearpostie »

You have to remember everything that everybody else isnt real, cars are all rented houses are probably 100% mortgage and most people are just two pay packets away from loosing everything.

This is by far the best paid job i have had, i used to earn £25 more but i had to work an extra 15 hours to earn it. Can i afford a house? no can i afford to rent a house? no, can i afford a nice car? no, but ive never been able to with the other 4 jobs i have had and at least now im working a lot less.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Try getting a mortgage on £23k a year and you'll soon find out if your bank thinks we're well paid.

We're better paid than some and to be honest if you need to earn more you'll need some kind of qualifications but it's no fortune.

If you're a postie with a decent degree it's s**t money, if you've got one 'o' level in craft and design then you're probably at your own personal pay ceiling already.

You've got to know your limitations.
Only dead fish follow the current
derekm
Posts: 340
Joined: 16 Dec 2010, 22:17
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by derekm »

The pay is ok similar to my last job but the option of working outside and the finishing times swayed me too it, but the toll it’s taking on my body these days makes me think differently
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Acca Dacca »

If you enjoy the job and wake up everyday not dreading work then its well paid

I'd imagine no two postmen have the same level of satisfaction with the job

Look at the differences between a reserve driver in an office with a lot of disharmony with a bully manager and a postie with a manageable set walk in a nice location within an office with good banter between colleagues and decent management relations

Same job on paper but very very different

I enjoy the job and so would knock back better paid jobs to continue doing what I do now
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Jahpostie »

If you're part time then it is impossible to survive with a family unless your other half is earning. I earned 17500 last year. My missus calls it "pin money". Hard to argue.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by HTPostman »

Good topic.

I like to think I’ve done some crap jobs - construction (backbreaking and dangerous), customer complaints in a call centre, even a stint as a glass collector in a rough pub having to wipe up people’s sick etc.

This isn’t one of the crap jobs, not in my eyes anyway. My average hours last year were 7 while 4 and I earned £27k for being outdoors delivering stuff. I’ve mates I went to uni with who design kitchens and work in marketing who are stressed as anything, have to take work home, frequently stay in the office till gone 6, are expected to do unpaid overtime at busy project times AND earned less than me.

I think it helps that I worked for RM, left to do other jobs then came back. I like to think I have a bit more of a balanced view than an old boy who started in the 1970s and says the job is dreadful but has never done a different job.

I was told my good feeling would pass once the honeymoon is over, I’ve been here 2 years now and still enjoy it, I never wake up dreading going in.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by mags999 »

you must of done 10 or more hours over time a week to get 27 grand that takes some doin on delivery
Shirtbuttons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Sep 2020, 14:46
Gender: Male

Well paid yes or no?

Post by Shirtbuttons »

Two year postie states can I afford a house? No. Can I afford a car? No ,can I afford to rent a house ? No. He has answered my question. Makes me think if you have to live like that, what’s the point?