ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Operation needed
-
Mozalini
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 07 Jan 2010, 20:55
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
Operation needed
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm
Hi all, don't know if any of you can help. I've had a bad back diagnosed as herniated disk and it needs operating on.
Problem is, with everything going on, I don't know when the op will be. I know I can have 6 months full pay / 6 months half pay. I've had 3 months already. The op could be any time, nobody knows. I've spoken to OH and they've agreed I can't return til after the op.
What do I do? I can't return and go against OH and how I actually feel at the moment, but at the same time, the sick pay will run out soon.
I don't want to think about ihr as I may be fine after the op. Seems I'm in limbo
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm
Hi all, don't know if any of you can help. I've had a bad back diagnosed as herniated disk and it needs operating on.
Problem is, with everything going on, I don't know when the op will be. I know I can have 6 months full pay / 6 months half pay. I've had 3 months already. The op could be any time, nobody knows. I've spoken to OH and they've agreed I can't return til after the op.
What do I do? I can't return and go against OH and how I actually feel at the moment, but at the same time, the sick pay will run out soon.
I don't want to think about ihr as I may be fine after the op. Seems I'm in limbo
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
Chap at my place took mutually agreed ihr as he was and still is waiting for an operation for over a year.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
Perhaps look into see what benefits you may be entitled to, to give you help with mortgage / rent etc if / when you drop down to half pay?
Perhaps phone the hospital / GP, and asked to be put on the "cancellation list"? That way if someone cancels getting their op, you may get offered one quicker?
I'm in a similar position, and may be needing surgery as well soon. Good luck!
Perhaps phone the hospital / GP, and asked to be put on the "cancellation list"? That way if someone cancels getting their op, you may get offered one quicker?
I'm in a similar position, and may be needing surgery as well soon. Good luck!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Operation needed
Well I am very sorry for your predicament you are in limbo can you do other work ie office work you could ask if they could accommodate this as it is reasonable given your condition but all the best.
-
Mozalini
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 07 Jan 2010, 20:55
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
As I understand, you can return to work on light duties for a month and then expected to go back to full time duties.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Operation needed
Well if they want you back they need to be more flexible on this.Mozalini wrote:As I understand, you can return to work on light duties for a month and then expected to go back to full time duties.
-
Jennyrenny740
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 16:31
- Gender: Female
Operation needed
Ive also just been put on the list for a fusion for a c5/6 herniation. Ive been back to work but ive got some nerve damage in my arms now so i think im just gonna stay off. My surgeon said all i could do is office work but thats not really an option at rm. Got occupational health phoning me wednesday and im a bit nervous.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
Same here, except I'm also experience leg weakness. (On crutches at the moment) Not sure if I'll get fusion for herniated discs at C5/C6 level. Currently I'm also getting tested for MS.Jennyrenny740 wrote:Ive also just been put on the list for a fusion for a c5/6 herniation. Ive been back to work but ive got some nerve damage in my arms now so i think im just gonna stay off. My surgeon said all i could do is office work but thats not really an option at rm. Got occupational health phoning me wednesday and im a bit nervous.
I am pretty worried I'll end up with ill health retirement.
-
Mozalini
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 07 Jan 2010, 20:55
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
Green giant, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm 6'6 and I've been doing this job for 33 years so I think it's knackered my back.
Don't worry too much about OH either, the lady I spoke to was really nice, she even rang on the Sunday afternoon as she didn't want to wake me early on the Monday.
I'm worried too about ihr, but you never know, we could make full recoveries after our op's... Whenever they may be
Don't worry too much about OH either, the lady I spoke to was really nice, she even rang on the Sunday afternoon as she didn't want to wake me early on the Monday.
I'm worried too about ihr, but you never know, we could make full recoveries after our op's... Whenever they may be
-
onearmedbandit
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:10
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
Had c5/6, c6/7 done October last year. Walked out of the hospital the following day and had 6 weeks on sick leave .
Still have only partial feeling in arm and hand but pain in neck and arm almost nil.
Try not to worry about the operation it was a life changer for me.
Still have only partial feeling in arm and hand but pain in neck and arm almost nil.
Try not to worry about the operation it was a life changer for me.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
I'm only 6'2", and been in the job for less than 7 years...Mozalini wrote:Green giant, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm 6'6 and I've been doing this job for 33 years so I think it's knackered my back.
Don't worry too much about OH either, the lady I spoke to was really nice, she even rang on the Sunday afternoon as she didn't want to wake me early on the Monday.
I'm worried too about ihr, but you never know, we could make full recoveries after our op's... Whenever they may be
Hopefully I'll know more once i see orthopaedic consultant next week.
-
Jennyrenny740
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 16:31
- Gender: Female
Operation needed
It must be those mail bags, they are an awful design and you shouldn't be weighted to one side like they are. How old is everyone thats experiencing these problems? Im 27 this year and am feeling like a worn out donkey already. Im only 5ft2
-
Worn Out Donkey
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 05 Sep 2020, 00:22
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
I feel like a worn out donkey too.Jennyrenny740 wrote:It must be those mail bags, they are an awful design and you shouldn't be weighted to one side like they are. How old is everyone thats experiencing these problems? Im 27 this year and am feeling like a worn out donkey already. Im only 5ft2
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Operation needed
HCTJennyrenny740 wrote:It must be those mail bags, they are an awful design and you shouldn't be weighted to one side like they are.
LWT
Why carry bags?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Operation needed
Perhaps get in touch with the Roland Hill Foundation?Mozalini wrote:Operation needed
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm
Hi all, don't know if any of you can help. I've had a bad back diagnosed as herniated disk and it needs operating on.
Problem is, with everything going on, I don't know when the op will be. I know I can have 6 months full pay / 6 months half pay. I've had 3 months already. The op could be any time, nobody knows. I've spoken to OH and they've agreed I can't return til after the op.
What do I do? I can't return and go against OH and how I actually feel at the moment, but at the same time, the sick pay will run out soon.
I don't want to think about ihr as I may be fine after the op. Seems I'm in limbo