ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Operation needed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mozalini
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Jan 2010, 20:55
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by Mozalini »

Operation needed
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi all, don't know if any of you can help. I've had a bad back diagnosed as herniated disk and it needs operating on.
Problem is, with everything going on, I don't know when the op will be. I know I can have 6 months full pay / 6 months half pay. I've had 3 months already. The op could be any time, nobody knows. I've spoken to OH and they've agreed I can't return til after the op.
What do I do? I can't return and go against OH and how I actually feel at the moment, but at the same time, the sick pay will run out soon.
I don't want to think about ihr as I may be fine after the op. Seems I'm in limbo
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Chap at my place took mutually agreed ihr as he was and still is waiting for an operation for over a year.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by greengiant »

Perhaps look into see what benefits you may be entitled to, to give you help with mortgage / rent etc if / when you drop down to half pay?
Perhaps phone the hospital / GP, and asked to be put on the "cancellation list"? That way if someone cancels getting their op, you may get offered one quicker?

I'm in a similar position, and may be needing surgery as well soon. Good luck!
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Operation needed

Post by k979aaa »

Well I am very sorry for your predicament you are in limbo can you do other work ie office work you could ask if they could accommodate this as it is reasonable given your condition but all the best.
Mozalini
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Jan 2010, 20:55
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by Mozalini »

As I understand, you can return to work on light duties for a month and then expected to go back to full time duties.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Operation needed

Post by k979aaa »

Mozalini wrote:As I understand, you can return to work on light duties for a month and then expected to go back to full time duties.
Well if they want you back they need to be more flexible on this.
Jennyrenny740
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 16:31
Gender: Female

Operation needed

Post by Jennyrenny740 »

Ive also just been put on the list for a fusion for a c5/6 herniation. Ive been back to work but ive got some nerve damage in my arms now so i think im just gonna stay off. My surgeon said all i could do is office work but thats not really an option at rm. Got occupational health phoning me wednesday and im a bit nervous.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by greengiant »

Jennyrenny740 wrote:Ive also just been put on the list for a fusion for a c5/6 herniation. Ive been back to work but ive got some nerve damage in my arms now so i think im just gonna stay off. My surgeon said all i could do is office work but thats not really an option at rm. Got occupational health phoning me wednesday and im a bit nervous.
Same here, except I'm also experience leg weakness. (On crutches at the moment) Not sure if I'll get fusion for herniated discs at C5/C6 level. Currently I'm also getting tested for MS.

I am pretty worried I'll end up with ill health retirement.
Mozalini
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Jan 2010, 20:55
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by Mozalini »

Green giant, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm 6'6 and I've been doing this job for 33 years so I think it's knackered my back.
Don't worry too much about OH either, the lady I spoke to was really nice, she even rang on the Sunday afternoon as she didn't want to wake me early on the Monday.
I'm worried too about ihr, but you never know, we could make full recoveries after our op's... Whenever they may be
onearmedbandit
Posts: 29
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:10
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by onearmedbandit »

Had c5/6, c6/7 done October last year. Walked out of the hospital the following day and had 6 weeks on sick leave .
Still have only partial feeling in arm and hand but pain in neck and arm almost nil.
Try not to worry about the operation it was a life changer for me.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by greengiant »

Mozalini wrote:Green giant, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm 6'6 and I've been doing this job for 33 years so I think it's knackered my back.
Don't worry too much about OH either, the lady I spoke to was really nice, she even rang on the Sunday afternoon as she didn't want to wake me early on the Monday.
I'm worried too about ihr, but you never know, we could make full recoveries after our op's... Whenever they may be
I'm only 6'2", and been in the job for less than 7 years...

Hopefully I'll know more once i see orthopaedic consultant next week.
Jennyrenny740
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 16:31
Gender: Female

Operation needed

Post by Jennyrenny740 »

It must be those mail bags, they are an awful design and you shouldn't be weighted to one side like they are. How old is everyone thats experiencing these problems? Im 27 this year and am feeling like a worn out donkey already. Im only 5ft2
Worn Out Donkey
Posts: 11
Joined: 05 Sep 2020, 00:22
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by Worn Out Donkey »

Jennyrenny740 wrote:It must be those mail bags, they are an awful design and you shouldn't be weighted to one side like they are. How old is everyone thats experiencing these problems? Im 27 this year and am feeling like a worn out donkey already. Im only 5ft2
I feel like a worn out donkey too.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Operation needed

Post by clashcityrocker »

Jennyrenny740 wrote:It must be those mail bags, they are an awful design and you shouldn't be weighted to one side like they are.
HCT
LWT
Why carry bags?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Operation needed

Post by xPandabear1992x »

Mozalini wrote:Operation needed
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi all, don't know if any of you can help. I've had a bad back diagnosed as herniated disk and it needs operating on.
Problem is, with everything going on, I don't know when the op will be. I know I can have 6 months full pay / 6 months half pay. I've had 3 months already. The op could be any time, nobody knows. I've spoken to OH and they've agreed I can't return til after the op.
What do I do? I can't return and go against OH and how I actually feel at the moment, but at the same time, the sick pay will run out soon.
I don't want to think about ihr as I may be fine after the op. Seems I'm in limbo
Perhaps get in touch with the Roland Hill Foundation?