ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Newpostie123
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Aug 2020, 10:48
Gender: Female

Advice

Post by Newpostie123 »

Hi,
I have been a postie nearly a year now. Just shy of 3 days to be exact. Without going in to detail I've been having quite a time of it with my DOM. Today was the last straw and I walked out of the office without letting anyone know. My rep tried to call me (I didn't answer) but no manager has attempted. I text my manager 30 mins after I had left to say that I was 'too stressed to be in work and that I have contacted my dr and will be in contact with an update'. What is my next move? Can they dismiss me for walking out?
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by wallan »

Newpostie123 wrote:Hi,
I have been a postie nearly a year now. Just shy of 3 days to be exact. Without going in to detail I've been having quite a time of it with my DOM. Today was the last straw and I walked out of the office without letting anyone know. My rep tried to call me (I didn't answer) but no manager has attempted. I text my manager 30 mins after I had left to say that I was 'too stressed to be in work and that I have contacted my dr and will be in contact with an update'. What is my next move? Can they dismiss me for walking out?
Contact your Rep ASAP
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by world class male »

wouldn't do any harm calling the b&h helpline 08005874777 or feeling first class 08006888777 to at least get a paper trail going,
the stress will no doubt get worse if you also end up without any income too,
hope it gets sorted and chin up
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by Ricardo44 »

It could go either way but if you have been reliable and doing your job then i think your Dom will want you to stay. That will give him the upper hand as it means you will sort of owe him one and will be more use to him than if he lets you go. He may even change his attitude towards you. Good luck.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by cpsteve »

The time to tell the manager was before you walked out they must have known as your rep called and you ignored it, still whats done is done you did inform the manager by text thats something and under stress we do silly things.
Newpostie123
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Aug 2020, 10:48
Gender: Female

Advice

Post by Newpostie123 »

My rep was returning my call as I had called him prior to being hauled into the office this morning. When he called back I didn't feel well enough to speak I have since called my rep back. As for the 'meeting' I had to take another postie in with me to be told that I was not entitled to do that. Even though I told my DOM the reason I had asked for a witness is because I do not feel comfortable being in a room with him alone due to past behaviours. He then proceeded to play the poor me and try to say my attitude since I have started towards him has been terrible.
bishopoflove
Posts: 63
Joined: 02 Mar 2016, 09:45
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by bishopoflove »

Your quite within your rights to take a third party into the meeting with you basically to listen to what is being said, managers have a habit of denying things they have said and fabricating what you've said, basically managers are very untrustworthy individuals.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Advice

Post by Route1 »

I can understand wanting to get advice from here but alot of people on here wont know RM procedures & how to play them.

Best to speak to the rep for advice & the other trusted people u work with. You might get good advice here but run it by someone that knows the rules.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by postslippete »

If you went home sick or because you were clearly ill then you have not broken your contract. But just walking out without telling anybody??
From the sounds of it its likely that your DOM will not be very sympathetic and they may ring so they can assess the seriousness of your actions. RM do make a big thing about mental illness and so ringing feeling 1st class should be your first port of call.

We all suffer from stress in our lives and just remind the DOM or their henchmen that you made an appointment with the doctor because you feel the lowest of the low and explain that you have this medical condition that you are seeking treatment for. Try to also arrange (with your doctor) a certified period of sick so you can recover from the symptoms of your illness.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.