ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What is a fair payrise for us?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by FirstPost »

What are you guys and gals thinking is a fair payrise for us? maybe a minimum of 5%?
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by toonshola »

FirstPost wrote:What are you guys and gals thinking is a fair payrise for us? maybe a minimum of 5%?
For the amount of parcels we have had to deal with and likely to deal with going forward I would say 5% would definitely be fair. There is no way the CWU are up to negotiating that though as they seem to be rolling over to all of Royal mails demands. Sadly I think we will be lucky to get around 2/2.5%
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Sir Henry »

I'd settle for a fair and achievable workload but how long have we been ignored by both sides when it comes to that particular pipe dream
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by chickenwittle »

I would like them to deliver on the shorter working week personally.Any kind of pay rise in this current environment would be good also.I don’t buy into all the change of culture nonsense myself as it will never last , it always comes back to cutting budgets and wanting more .
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Yamr1 »

2 hours were owed at the end of the yr and about 3.2%.

If we're not getting the hours 9.6% will do for the 2 hours and a years pay rise for this year.
Were not far off the minimum wage an hour and to work in all conditions and use our driving licence and put them at risk if any crashes
+ no driving allowances
MUGS we are
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Seymour Buts »

'Fair' is a very subjective term. Frankly, with the numbers on the dole growing by the thousands daily and our well documented struggles I'd take a payrise inline with inflation. Securing jobs is by far the biggest prize, even if that meant a freeze for a year or two it'd probably be worth it.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Yamr1 wrote:2 hours were owed at the end of the yr and about 3.2%.

If we're not getting the hours 9.6% will do for the 2 hours and a years pay rise for this year.
Were not far off the minimum wage an hour and to work in all conditions and use our driving licence and put them at risk if any crashes
+ no driving allowances
MUGS we are
Not that far off minimum wage? £8.72 is minimum wage; combined with the delivery suppliment our hourly rate is about £12.30 off the job of my head.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Murdoch »

Seymour Buts wrote:
Yamr1 wrote:2 hours were owed at the end of the yr and about 3.2%.

If we're not getting the hours 9.6% will do for the 2 hours and a years pay rise for this year.
Were not far off the minimum wage an hour and to work in all conditions and use our driving licence and put them at risk if any crashes
+ no driving allowances
MUGS we are
Not that far off minimum wage? £8.72 is minimum wage; combined with the delivery suppliment our hourly rate is about £12.30 off the job of my head.
I was just about to reply with this. Sometimes I think people who have been with Royal Mail for a long time, are completely unaware of just how low the minimum wage is, and how poor the pay and working conditions are for most "unskilled" positions.
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Yamr1 »

Sorry I thought the minimum wage was £10 my fault etc
Maybe I've heard on the news there pushing for that in the future
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by wacko74 »

Seymour Buts wrote:'Fair' is a very subjective term. Frankly, with the numbers on the dole growing by the thousands daily and our well documented struggles I'd take a payrise inline with inflation. Securing jobs is by far the biggest prize, even if that meant a freeze for a year or two it'd probably be worth it.
The way Socialist Sunak is spunking free money around to anyone and everyone regardless of whether they actually need it or not I think I'd be happy to take my chances on the dole queue, I doubt I'd be any worse off.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by koolishy67 »

Current economy climate i don't think any pay rise is good thing for Royal mail and our future I am talking about everyone from top to bottom
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by wacko74 »

Murdoch wrote:
Seymour Buts wrote:
Yamr1 wrote:2 hours were owed at the end of the yr and about 3.2%.

If we're not getting the hours 9.6% will do for the 2 hours and a years pay rise for this year.
Were not far off the minimum wage an hour and to work in all conditions and use our driving licence and put them at risk if any crashes
+ no driving allowances
MUGS we are
Not that far off minimum wage? £8.72 is minimum wage; combined with the delivery suppliment our hourly rate is about £12.30 off the job of my head.
I was just about to reply with this. Sometimes I think people who have been with Royal Mail for a long time, are completely unaware of just how low the minimum wage is, and how poor the pay and working conditions are for most "unskilled" positions.
Many people on minimum wage are playing the Tax Credits (and other associated bennies) system to it's full extent, with the net result that they have just as much if not more discretionary income as a postie grossing £12.30 per hour

A postie who is a single parent of 2 kids and working 16 hours per week living in rented accommodation would probably be no worse off if they were only being paid minimum wage.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Decky Boy »

Murdoch wrote: I was just about to reply with this. Sometimes I think people who have been with Royal Mail for a long time, are completely unaware of just how low the minimum wage is, and how poor the pay and working conditions are for most "unskilled" positions.
I contest the idea that postal workers are " unskilled". Good postal workers, in my opinion, are highly skilled individuals. Try taking Joe Bloggs off the street...give him a van full of letters and parcels and a PDA...and tell him to crack on with it...then you'll see just how skilled the majority of us all are. And don't forget that we are all " Essential" or " Key" workers".

I'd like to think we could get 3% or thereabouts and a cast iron guarantee on moving to the shorter working week ? I'd happily forego a pay rise in April 2021 in favour of a 37 hour week !
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by wacko74 »

Decky Boy wrote:
Murdoch wrote: I was just about to reply with this. Sometimes I think people who have been with Royal Mail for a long time, are completely unaware of just how low the minimum wage is, and how poor the pay and working conditions are for most "unskilled" positions.
I contest the idea that postal workers are " unskilled". Good postal workers, in my opinion, are highly skilled individuals. Try taking Joe Bloggs off the street...give him a van full of letters and parcels and a PDA...and tell him to crack on with it...then you'll see just how skilled the majority of us all are. And don't forget that we are all " Essential" or " Key" workers".
Agreed.

I think to have knowledge of 10, 20 or more duties, especially deep rurals, the ability to vary just which way you do the route from day to day to accommodate 1pm specials, the responsibility of handing valuable, important and time sensitive items and sometimes thousands of pounds in cash everyday, dealing with members of the public in a polite and professional manner at all times, all whilst working outdoors in everything from -10c to +30c

I know plenty of people who have far better paid and ''highly skilled'' jobs than me who would have a nervous break down and wouldn't last a week being a postie, mainly because their ''skill' is very specific and narrow and they have none of the general wide ranging attributes required to be a humble ''unskilled'' postie.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

What is a fair payrise for us?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

wacko74 wrote:
Decky Boy wrote:
Murdoch wrote: I was just about to reply with this. Sometimes I think people who have been with Royal Mail for a long time, are completely unaware of just how low the minimum wage is, and how poor the pay and working conditions are for most "unskilled" positions.
I contest the idea that postal workers are " unskilled". Good postal workers, in my opinion, are highly skilled individuals. Try taking Joe Bloggs off the street...give him a van full of letters and parcels and a PDA...and tell him to crack on with it...then you'll see just how skilled the majority of us all are. And don't forget that we are all " Essential" or " Key" workers".
Agreed.

I think to have knowledge of 10, 20 or more duties, especially deep rurals, the ability to vary just which way you do the route from day to day to accommodate 1pm specials, the responsibility of handing valuable, important and time sensitive items and sometimes thousands of pounds in cash everyday, dealing with members of the public in a polite and professional manner at all times, all whilst working outdoors in everything from -10c to +30c

I know plenty of people who have far better paid and ''highly skilled'' jobs than me who would have a nervous break down and wouldn't last a week being a postie, mainly because their ''skill' is very specific and narrow and they have none of the general wide ranging attributes required to be a humble ''unskilled'' postie.
Agreed as well!

Iv watched my wife "Work" from home for the last how ever many months, Listened to my mother in law talk about her job, just friends in general and they would all be in for a very big shock if they were asked to do our job and what is expected of us. Then do it the next day and then the next and then the next... Don't get me wrong I think this job has it's perks but even they seem to be disappearing but this job is hard graft and I wish people would recognise that.

We have proved our value to this company and the country this year. Time to pay up!