ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Contracted hours
-
Maxwell1979
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 30 Jan 2018, 17:43
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Hi I'm a part timer hours 09.30 till 14.30. Since lockdown been doing 12 till 5. With kids going back to school soon it's going to be very hard with childcare spoke to manager and basically no way of going back to original hours anyone know where I stand??
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
What does your contract say re hours?
Try your rep or area rep.
Try your rep or area rep.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
If you've got a copy of your contract take a look and see if your hours are listed. However, if you're relatively new, it will say something like "Your hours of work will be allocated to you by your manager." If this is the case, try and find your original job position/offer. I had to show my dom a copy of the contract from the vacancy listing that showed the hours of work. Don't take any s**t from them, have a chat with your rep 
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Maxwell1979
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 30 Jan 2018, 17:43
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Just checked contract it states the hours 09.30 till 14.30 I was one of the last to get this contract as they changed everyone's else's to between the hours of 7 and 7
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Then you're sorted, working later is a voluntary thing not a permanent change to contract. Explain that you want to go back to working your contracted hours and that's it, you don’t even have to give a reason. If they put up a fight speak to your rep and explain the situation. Don’t let them take advantage.Maxwell1979 wrote:Just checked contract it states the hours 09.30 till 14.30 I was one of the last to get this contract as they changed everyone's else's to between the hours of 7 and 7
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
WASD
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 375
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
That's good to hear your contract secures you.
I suppose the "right" thing to do would be inform the management asap. But the postie in me wants you to say nothing, carry on doing afternoons, and when the school term starts just turn up on the morning shift with a photocopy of your contract and smile.
The disregard some management have for others is really quite something.
I suppose the "right" thing to do would be inform the management asap. But the postie in me wants you to say nothing, carry on doing afternoons, and when the school term starts just turn up on the morning shift with a photocopy of your contract and smile.
The disregard some management have for others is really quite something.
-
Maxwell1979
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 30 Jan 2018, 17:43
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Thanks for the advice think I'll go in with my contract tommorow. Can they change your contracted hours and if so how much notice don't fancy doing 5 hrs between 7am and 7pm!!
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
If youve got the bit about us being a public service and may be required to work to the needs of the business then yes.
Weve been told that nationally but to begin with in our area not just office, part timers are getting the option of working afternoons, using your own car or fooking off.
Weve been told that nationally but to begin with in our area not just office, part timers are getting the option of working afternoons, using your own car or fooking off.
-
Maxwell1979
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 30 Jan 2018, 17:43
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Basically said if you can't do the hours it's not a job for you..
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Ah that old chestnut, they’ve tried that with me. Don’t let it rattle you, RM doesn’t have managers, just bullies and w*****s. As I said before, explain the situation, show them your contract and come in at your contracted time the following day. If you still get problems, say that you want written signed confirmation of the order to come in at 1pm and see what they say. Managers usually s**t themselves when you ask them to write things down, it makes them accountable for their actions, which makes them sweat!Maxwell1979 wrote:Basically said if you can't do the hours it's not a job for you..
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Maxwell1979
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 30 Jan 2018, 17:43
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Slowly learning they don't like you answering back or standing up for yourself. Never met a company where the harder you work the less your though of its a crazy place..
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Regarding the screws use of that old tagnut. ' not the job for you ' please see the below thread
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=96612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=97092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=96612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also see this thread2yearpostie wrote:If youve got the bit about us being a public service and may be required to work to the needs of the business then yes.
Weve been told that nationally but to begin with in our area not just office, part timers are getting the option of working afternoons, using your own car or fooking off.
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=97092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
I can't see how RM has any choice, if the OP goes back to mornings, someone else is going to have to move to afternoons to take their place because of social distancing
-
Joe4567
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 05 Aug 2019, 15:09
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Not in ours, when this whole thing started 40% staff coming in different times. Now there is literally 2 people on afternoons. 95% on earlies. No one is arsed about social distancingSpacePhoenix wrote:I can't see how RM has any choice, if the OP goes back to mornings, someone else is going to have to move to afternoons to take their place because of social distancing
-
ArthurPewty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Contracted hours
Not 100% sure on this. They probably can change your contract with sufficient notice, but you'd have a pretty water tight bullying and harrasment case if they only changed yours and not everyone's in the DO as you would have been singled out. Anyway I think HR would have to change your contract not the DOM and I doubt they'd change 1 person's contract in a DO for the very reasons above (B&H). If the DOM carries on threatening even after you've waved your contract in front of him, see what his reaction is when you tell him you're ringing HR for 'clarification'Maxwell1979 wrote:Thanks for the advice think I'll go in with my contract tommorow. Can they change your contracted hours and if so how much notice don't fancy doing 5 hrs between 7am and 7pm!!