ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can,t Wait

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by grandypants »

Well after twenty years in the job I am being IHR and it can,t come quick enough, back has gone, hip has gone and my knees are knackered, i,ve seen so many changes but the one that is the worst is van sharing, the last few years doing this has done me in, I would love to meet the brainless idiots who came up with this idea while sitting behind their desk pushing a pen and never done a delivery in their life, so thats me gone after ive taken my leave, I will miss the lads and girls who I,ve worked with (well some of them) and wish everyone on here good luck and keep safe :dance :dance :dance
Pope Marmalade lll
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 May 2020, 11:44
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by Pope Marmalade lll »

I wish you a long and happy retirement.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by robbertwhitton »

I salute you sir,I wish you a restful retirement,you’ve certainly put a shift in,I’m in my 38 th year and at 59 just having knee problems which are being sorted,with no thanks and concern from Royal Mail,in having to manage me on a more sedentary level!
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by grandypants »

Thank you both and I wish you well for the future :wave :wave
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by wacko74 »

robbertwhitton wrote:I salute you sir,I wish you a restful retirement,you’ve certainly put a shift in,I’m in my 38 th year and at 59 just having knee problems which are being sorted,with no thanks and concern from Royal Mail,in having to manage me on a more sedentary level!
You've done well to do 38 years and get to 59 and only just started having knee problems... I'm only 46 and only done 20 years but my knees and ankles have already turned to dust.
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by Ricardo44 »

All the best for the future and i totally agree with you about van sharing. No doubt you have been paired up with runners at some point and this has made your knees, hip and back worse. There are a few in my office who get in a major strop if they are paired up with someone who they think is slow and try to get them taken off the duty.
Sugar
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 431
Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
Gender: Female

Can,t Wait

Post by Sugar »

grandypants wrote:Well after twenty years in the job I am being IHR and it can,t come quick enough, back has gone, hip has gone and my knees are knackered, i,ve seen so many changes but the one that is the worst is van sharing, the last few years doing this has done me in, I would love to meet the brainless idiots who came up with this idea while sitting behind their desk pushing a pen and never done a delivery in their life, so thats me gone after ive taken my leave, I will miss the lads and girls who I,ve worked with (well some of them) and wish everyone on here good luck and keep safe :dance :dance :dance
Well done on getting out :Applause :Applause :Applause

Agree 100% with you, van sharing has been the death of this job in terms of negative impact it's had on peoples bodies but also the mental side with all the additional stress it's caused so many through daily arguments with inept managers because the workloads are, quite frankly, excessive and pretty much close to a sweatshop regime/mentality. I loved this job till van share came in then it was downhill from then on in.

Enjoy your IHR, I've been out most of this year and the change in me has been dramatic to say the least.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by rambo1 »

Van share equals, work to pace of slowest person not slowest rushing to work to fastest persons pace. That's how I worked it anyway. If someone wants to rush round and sit by van for 10 mins, so be it, I ain't changing my pace. Also, partner will get two bags if necessary and use a trolley. Many times I've got a trolley out for them only to be told that they don't use a trolley. I just say, how you gonna carry two bags then? The looks I get just makes me smile.
ATB for the original poster with their new life.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by 2yearpostie »

good luck finding another job.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by postieblueshirt »

I'd say van sharing(aka starbust God the crap this company thinks up) was one of the worst but I'd say it's on par with Lapsing as a major downfall of the job.im same age and 26 years in I'm so jealous good luck enjoy....
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by Dindin »

postieblueshirt wrote:I'd say van sharing(aka starbust God the crap this company thinks up) was one of the worst but I'd say it's on par with Lapsing as a major downfall of the job.im same age and 26 years in I'm so jealous good luck enjoy....
Van sharing isn't starburst.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by postieblueshirt »

Dindin wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:I'd say van sharing(aka starbust God the crap this company thinks up) was one of the worst but I'd say it's on par with Lapsing as a major downfall of the job.im same age and 26 years in I'm so jealous good luck enjoy....
Van sharing isn't starburst.
its where the idea originated from
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by cpsteve »

Good luck in the future. The job takes its toll on our bodies but less so since van share no more heavy bags that put more strain on the knees and back longer walks thats the pay off, imo the worst thing is PT staff not getting made up to full time even when they do full time hours most of the time.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by SpacePhoenix »

cpsteve wrote:Good luck in the future. The job takes its toll on our bodies but less so since van share no more heavy bags that put more strain on the knees and back longer walks thats the pay off, imo the worst thing is PT staff not getting made up to full time even when they do full time hours most of the time.
Why are delivery staff making their bags so heavy? Why not split the load of a heavy bag into two smaller bags?
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Can,t Wait

Post by Ricardo44 »

I think van sharing is harder on the feet, knees and hips. When we had bike duties you could cycle between houses and up long driveways etc. You could carry the bag on the bike. Now you can be walking for upto 5 hours a day.