ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CLINTEASTWOOD1
Posts: 40
Joined: 18 Mar 2011, 08:22
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by CLINTEASTWOOD1 »

Hi,Been a postie for 25 years seen alot of up and downs,but in these strange times who still goes the exra mile for the company?i still do somtimes because yes! i'm still proud to work for our company but also starting to get more an more disillusiond.We all get our down days and yes i am worried about my future because i'm still only 44 years of age with a mortgage and children.BUT still proud of my job and what i do still means a heck of alot.Any thoughts?
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by 2yearpostie »

ive got to clear 3 days post in humid conditions tomorrow, i might not be as helpful after ive done that.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by sindba »

For the Company? No. I owe them nothing, they are scum.

For customers who are nice, or elderly, or whatever? Yes, every day.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by k979aaa »

CLINTEASTWOOD1 wrote:Hi,Been a postie for 25 years seen alot of up and downs,but in these strange times who still goes the exra mile for the company?i still do somtimes because yes! i'm still proud to work for our company but also starting to get more an more disillusiond.We all get our down days and yes i am worried about my future because i'm still only 44 years of age with a mortgage and children.BUT still proud of my job and what i do still means a heck of alot.Any thoughts?
No one can doubt you commitment you have parallels with me for most the body gives up first but 25 years you don't get that for a double murder it would be a wrench not seeing your work colleges/friends if you left but self prevention in order so I would in your case slow down don't let some young pup make you feel bad they did with that with me two in a van that s**t!
CLINTEASTWOOD1
Posts: 40
Joined: 18 Mar 2011, 08:22
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by CLINTEASTWOOD1 »

sindba wrote:For the Company? No. I owe them nothing, they are scum.

For customers who are nice, or elderly, or whatever? Yes, every day.
Yes exactly, thats what i meant its the customers that keep me :thumbup proud.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by scoobydo79 »

I do but I do it for the customer. I’ve done the job a long time and it wasn’t until the lockdown I felt appreciated or had recognition.Strange isn’t it?
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Sir Henry »

Nah, f**k 'em. I work my hours then go home and forget about it. Counting down the days....
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by HTPostman »

Within reason. If I’ve P739d a parcel and on the way back to the depot I notice they are back I’ll give them the parcel. Anyone who asks how I’m doing, or offers me a drink I remember them and do what I can for them.

But it’s a 2 way thing. On one of the rural rounds I cover there is a house which has a big tall gate which is locked with a box on it. Their front door is just the other side of the gate. They are always in but have no bell on the gate so if you have a parcel they expect you to go round the back which means turning round, driving back down the road, get out the van, open a gate, drive further, get out of the van again, open another wooden gate, drive a bit further up a dirt track for 200 metres, work your way through the back garden round to the front door which you were just feet from in the first place. Then you have to faff about closing the gates on the way back. The duty holder probably gets a good tip as she does it for them but I won’t, it takes 5/6 minutes and seems ridiculous when they should be making it easier for us. Just don’t have time for that so I knock on the gate then slip it.

I think we’ll always do what we can for most customers but they need to realise we really don’t have time to jump through hoops anymore.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by postieblueshirt »

I'm in the same boat started in 95 I'm 45 lol.i don't go the extra mile for royal mail but I do for customers.were from a generation that cutting off etc wasn't the done thing it's different now for newer guys it's just a job but I still think of my job as a public service even though it's technically not anymore.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Munchboii »

I like to think of the job as
I do love the job but I am worried for the future. I really do wish that letters/flats would go back up again as alot of the old boys in my office talk about the glory days between around 95-08 where the mail was highest and our rurals had time for a chat ect. Now we are all monitored drop by drop and don't have time to chat or put the milk in.

I guess it is the way of the world that we are moving to a digital society and ultimately our jobs will be in decline due to email, online services and social media. Therefore why Royal Mail View us as a business rather than a public service. Email has done that to us; how can we be a service if email is available.

Somewhere along the line either the public or government has to realise that if they want a 5 or 6 day USO they will have to continue getting their bank/phone/gas/electric bills through the post. I had a customer the other day asking me where his sons birthday cards were. I told him the service was cut due to less letters (local hub closed last year). This is a customer who never gets any bills/statements through the post and now is angry a birthday card doesn't make it. Well i did not say to him but all I could think was its customers like him why our service will be reducing because they get everything online now!! Therefore birthday cards get sidelined and unprioritised with the rest of the letters.

Went on a bit of a rant here but month by month as the letters reduce my morale sinks further and further and with that so does my willingness to go the extra mile. It is very sad really. Heartaches for the time when mail was stable.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Seymour Buts »

Munchboii wrote:I like to think of the job as
I do love the job but I am worried for the future. I really do wish that letters/flats would go back up again as alot of the old boys in my office talk about the glory days between around 95-08 where the mail was highest and our rurals had time for a chat ect. Now we are all monitored drop by drop and don't have time to chat or put the milk in.

I guess it is the way of the world that we are moving to a digital society and ultimately our jobs will be in decline due to email, online services and social media. Therefore why Royal Mail View us as a business rather than a public service. Email has done that to us; how can we be a service if email is available.

Somewhere along the line either the public or government has to realise that if they want a 5 or 6 day USO they will have to continue getting their bank/phone/gas/electric bills through the post. I had a customer the other day asking me where his sons birthday cards were. I told him the service was cut due to less letters (local hub closed last year). This is a customer who never gets any bills/statements through the post and now is angry a birthday card doesn't make it. Well i did not say to him but all I could think was its customers like him why our service will be reducing because they get everything online now!! Therefore birthday cards get sidelined and unprioritised with the rest of the letters.

Went on a bit of a rant here but month by month as the letters reduce my morale sinks further and further and with that so does my willingness to go the extra mile. It is very sad really. Heartaches for the time when mail was stable.
I agree with much of this. I despair at other posties who boast: "I don't get any rubbish through my door, I've gone paperless on everything." If people value the postal service, they need to use it. The government should ban companies from hiking up the cost of paper bills too, Virgin and BT charge you something ludacrous like a fiver or 10 quid for a paper bill. On marketing choices I always click post if it's an option. I mail out Christmas cards to frieneds and family with the stamps we get for Xmas. We're fighting against the tide; the six day USO will surely go but we need as many letters in the system as possible so hopefully it becomes a five day, rather then three day service or whatever.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by jd9442 »

2yearpostie wrote:ive got to clear 3 days post in humid conditions tomorrow, i might not be as helpful after ive done that.
‘Got to clear’!
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

2yearpostie wrote:ive got to clear 3 days post in humid conditions tomorrow, i might not be as helpful after ive done that.
Don’t forget your lapsing.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by Munchboii »

Seymour Buts wrote:
I agree with much of this. I despair at other posties who boast: "I don't get any rubbish through my door, I've gone paperless on everything." If people value the postal service, they need to use it. The government should ban companies from hiking up the cost of paper bills too, Virgin and BT charge you something ludacrous like a fiver or 10 quid for a paper bill. On marketing choices I always click post if it's an option. I mail out Christmas cards to frieneds and family with the stamps we get for Xmas. We're fighting against the tide; the six day USO will surely go but we need as many letters in the system as possible so hopefully it becomes a five day, rather then three day service or whatever.
Its one of those things which is a choice thing. I'm only in my 20s and 75% of my friends use online banking and have turned off bank statements in the post. Which is very worrying really. The other 25% still get statements through post but either never open them or sometimes file them. I get all mine through the post and file them away in a folder. Honestly I feel like this is much better than online because when it's all on my phone its very emotionally draining and easy to be sucked in. I feel like its better for mental health and organisation to have paper versions.

Another thing I have noticed is young people moving out from home to go to university or out from parents rarely get a postal redirection nowadays. Obviously in the past this was a big source of income for Royal Mail however from speaking to friends now the hassle of having to organise and pay for a redirection is pushing more young people to go paperless. Basically because in their mind there is no reason to get anything in the post apart from birthday cards. And of course parcels but we know that alot goes through our competitors now.

I know I am probably less than 5% of people and in 10 years time I may probably will get charged by the bank each month to still get my statement in the post. Same with tax returns and bills. :(

Maybe in 10 years time we will have to go to a 3 day USO. Honestly our only hope might be a labour government getting into power who either nationalise us or give us some kind of monopoly again on parcels for example all parcels under 1kg.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Who still goes the extra mile for Royalmail

Post by clashcityrocker »

Seymour Buts wrote:

I agree with much of this. I despair at other posties who boast: "I don't get any rubbish through my door, I've gone paperless on everything." If people value the postal service, they need to use it.
I agree. People stopped keeping horses and now there are no blacksmiths.
People got gas fires and now there are so few chimney sweeps.
And what about the people who used to light the street lights? Or own the video shop? Or read the electricity meter?
If you really value something you need to use it or be prepared to lose it.

Oh hang on ....nobody gives a s**t about those jobs, just like nobody gives a s**t about the postal service.

And remember to ask your bank to badly handwrite your address on your mailed statements.
That might save a job as well.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.