ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Different van everyday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Vwtouran
Posts: 95
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by Vwtouran »

I am a floater & I get a different van everyday, I have asked for my own van but get no sense. I know other floaters in office get there own van. Getting a different van also increases chances of getting COVID. I would like to know what happens in other offices.
Pumpernickel
Posts: 155
Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by Pumpernickel »

In our office, vans are allocated to walks. If you are floating/spare, you use the van for the walk you're doing on the day.

We have some walks that have backlogs (or that are just heavy walks) where volumes make larger vans necessary on occasion, in which case their regular van is deemed "spare" and allocated to another walk to save someone using their car/bus/walking.

Noone has "their own" van.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by Seymour Buts »

Vans are attached to duties, not any individual and even then outs get swapped around depending on need that particular day. Nobody has their 'own' van.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by HTPostman »

Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!

The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by scoobydo79 »

HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!

The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
Maybe the senior postmen being more experienced drivers don’t need a Trimble in their vans?
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Different van everyday

Post by twoloops »

If I get a dirty unclean rubbish everywhere van, I get my manger to give it a clean or find me another van.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by Dindin »

twoloops wrote:If I get a dirty unclean rubbish everywhere van, I get my manger to give it a clean or find me another van.
fantastic
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by HTPostman »

scoobydo79 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!

The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
Maybe the senior postmen being more experienced drivers don’t need a Trimble in their vans?
I’d be surprised if that was the case.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by CharlesSpooner »

HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!

The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
25 years seniority and often have a different van - especially doing afternoons on the alternating CoVid shift we have as my regular duty van (2010 knackered bucket!) is often already out on another duty when I'm in late. I'm quite enjoying trying out a few nice new(ish) vans for a change.

Especially the shiny Mercedes hire van with plenty of space in the back I had the other day! Side loading doors weren't knackered and the central locking worked! Heaven!
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Different van everyday

Post by Cucumber »

CharlesSpooner wrote:
HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!

The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
25 years seniority and often have a different van - especially doing afternoons on the alternating CoVid shift we have as my regular duty van (2010 knackered bucket!) is often already out on another duty when I'm in late. I'm quite enjoying trying out a few nice new(ish) vans for a change.

Especially the shiny Mercedes hire van with plenty of space in the back I had the other day! Side loading doors weren't knackered and the central locking worked! Heaven!
I got a Merc Sprinter van one Christmas. Was a very nice experience to drive.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Different van everyday

Post by k979aaa »

Cucumber wrote:
CharlesSpooner wrote:
HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!

The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
25 years seniority and often have a different van - especially doing afternoons on the alternating CoVid shift we have as my regular duty van (2010 knackered bucket!) is often already out on another duty when I'm in late. I'm quite enjoying trying out a few nice new(ish) vans for a change.

Especially the shiny Mercedes hire van with plenty of space in the back I had the other day! Side loading doors weren't knackered and the central locking worked! Heaven!
I got a Merc Sprinter van one Christmas. Was a very nice experience to drive.
So all your Christmases came at once nice as they are the plastic key is a downer for me.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Different van everyday

Post by 97gaz »

HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!

The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
We had all our fleet fitted with Trimble about three years ago and were told then that all RM vans were to be fitted with it. It's not obvious on the newer vans as they're factory fitted before we get them and nothing is visible.