ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Special - denial of recipt

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Seymour Buts »

Posting for a mate.

A friend delivered a special to a block of flats, and long story short the customer has denied receving. He's a reserve so was covering this duty which is currently vacant. The post boxes are on walls outside so that is the delivery point. Somebody has walked out the building communal area and basically said anything for me and my mate gave him the special. Given the postie was at the delivery point, and customer walked out the building I'm unsure if he's down owt wrong? Does anybody know the official procedure for flats and communal areas?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Special - denial of recipt

Post by clashcityrocker »

I believe the delivery point is at the door for something requiring a signature.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by POSTMAN »

Possible scam, order something then lay in wait.
Rule number 1 and what I do, either ID or ok, lets go to your front door, open it then I'll give it to you, done that loads.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Ren Hoëk »

POSTMAN wrote:Possible scam, order something then lay in wait.
Rule number 1 and what I do, either ID or ok, lets go to your front door, open it then I'll give it to you, done that loads.
I thought Possible scam. Though I must admit I also have done this. I only deliver to one block of flats and its a quite a well to do area. Usually old people or regulars I recognise asking "anything for me". Il use this as a reminder to ask for ID in future if I haven't buzzed them down to the door.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by chickenwittle »

Maybe your friend doesn’t remember properly . He would have had to write the name in his pda if it was a special and the gps on the pda would show he delivered it to the correct block , if you know what I mean .
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Cucumber »

I hope nothing comes of it, but there are a lot of chancers out there. The current 'signing for' items is fraught with issues.
I've been hauled in 3 times for things since covid started on things that if true and proven I could have been sacked for. Customer word against mine each time, I've got to prove my innocence, which I have been each time.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Route1 »

POSTMAN wrote:Possible scam, order something then lay in wait.
Rule number 1 and what I do, either ID or ok, lets go to your front door, open it then I'll give it to you, done that loads.
This.

If i dont know them, then sorry cant handover on street / stairs etc. Not supposed to hand over mail except at door but i'd accept ID otherwise go open your front door.
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by sorefeet17 »

If someone says "anything for me" unless I know them its always " depends, who are you and where do you live?" if they look a bit shifty I will ask for their postcode as well, if its for a special I want I.D.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Woody Guthrie »

POSTMAN wrote:Possible scam, order something then lay in wait.
Rule number 1 and what I do, either ID or ok, lets go to your front door, open it then I'll give it to you, done that loads.
That's the official position I think, customer must be inside the premises, not outside in the garden, on the stairs, in the car etc.

I don't think even the ID thing flies but it would probably be enough to cover your arse to a certain extent.

P. S. Used to do it with Giros all the time back in the day even when they met me three streets away from their house. Start walking mate....
Only dead fish follow the current
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Special - denial of recipt

Post by clashcityrocker »

I don't think asking for ID comes under the correct procedure.
I have never been trained on what ID is acceptable when handing out Special Deliveries to people not at their address.
I think it would come under a breach of the mail integrity.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Woody Guthrie »

clashcityrocker wrote:I don't think asking for ID comes under the correct procedure.
I don't think it does either but it would probably be enough mitigation to avoid a conduct charge in most cases.
Only dead fish follow the current
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Seymour Buts »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Possible scam, order something then lay in wait.
Rule number 1 and what I do, either ID or ok, lets go to your front door, open it then I'll give it to you, done that loads.
That's the official position I think, customer must be inside the premises, not outside in the garden, on the stairs, in the car etc.

I don't think even the ID thing flies but it would probably be enough to cover your arse to a certain extent.

P. S. Used to do it with Giros all the time back in the day even when they met me three streets away from their house. Start walking mate....
I understand this, and realise why but in those dog awareness videos we watch you're encouraged to call the customer over to the gate to collect items if you suspect there's a dog on the property. How's that different to what my mate did?

He was honest about what happened and the GPS shows the correct area I believe so we'll see what happens.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Seymour Buts »

Giros must've been a nightmare I'd imagine, way before my time! When was that out of interest? 80, 90's before it all changed to direct debit?
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Special - denial of recipt

Post by Route1 »

clashcityrocker wrote:I don't think asking for ID comes under the correct procedure.
I have never been trained on what ID is acceptable when handing out Special Deliveries to people not at their address.
I think it would come under a breach of the mail integrity.
Correct, you cant hand anything out in the street. No exceptions.

If I was going to hand something over to someone i dont know i'd probably ask for ID but wouldnt hand anything over as its not allowed...honest I wouldnt :d'oh!
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Special - denial of recipt

Post by postieblueshirt »

Seymour Buts wrote:Giros must've been a nightmare I'd imagine, way before my time! When was that out of interest? 80, 90's before it all changed to direct debit?
Definitely had giro's in 90s that's when I started but honestly can't remember when they stopped.saturdays were the worst p.o closed at 12:30 if they missed it they couldn't get rat arsed on a Saturday night lol