ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Average postal value of your round

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Average postal value of your round

Post by norris9 »

How much postage do you think has been paid to send everything you deliver on your round on an average day?

Specials.
Average: 2 a day.
Postal cost: £8 each.
Total: £16.

Customs Charge Cards.
Average: 2 a week.
Cost: £8 handling fee.
Total: £3.20 a day.

Tracked Parcels.
Average: 20 a day.
Average Cost: £4 per parcel.
Total: £80.

Stamped Letters/stamped small parcels:
Average: 50 a day.
Average Cost: £0.90.
Total: £45.

No idea on the costs of the below, but lots of these are delivered daily...
Chinese packets.
Franked Mail.
Magazines.
Door to Doors.

So I'd just take a wild guess and say the postage paid on all the items I deliver averages over £200 a day.

Just did this out of curiosity seeing as RM are losing money. I may be way out with all of this. Wondered if anyone has thought about this?
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by JKSmudge »

Not sure of these figures - do you say you deliver only 50 letters per day ?
We charge £8 for a customs card ? :hmmmm
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Average postal value of your round

Post by twoloops »

Wow that's a paper round today 35 1pm specials 190 tracked for the whole walk, only took 3 loops of mail 9 left in the frame
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by wacko74 »

twoloops wrote:Wow that's a paper round today 35 1pm specials 190 tracked for the whole walk, only took 3 loops of mail 9 left in the frame
I'm not saying I don't believe you... but that sounds utterly unbelievable, 35 Specials, 190 tracked just for ONE round????

How many delivery points are there because based on those figures I'd guess you must have at least 3000!!!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wacko74 wrote:
twoloops wrote:Wow that's a paper round today 35 1pm specials 190 tracked for the whole walk, only took 3 loops of mail 9 left in the frame
I'm not saying I don't believe you... but that sounds utterly unbelievable, 35 Specials, 190 tracked just for ONE round????

How many delivery points are there because based on those figures I'd guess you must have at least 3000!!!
Were a good few going to the same places?
Fdeezy
Posts: 48
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 21:12
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by Fdeezy »

twoloops wrote:only took 3 loops
Find the admin, maybe they can change your username.
plymouth3
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 119
Joined: 06 Jul 2010, 18:45
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by plymouth3 »

I’ve often valued my round at about £1,000 per day.
8-10 specials
600 letters
100 tracked
100 untracked packets
20-30 large packets

My daily wage of £80 Approx 8 % of revenue

Leaves £920 for collections transport distribution and management

And we still losing money!

Something wrong somewhere

For example in care home front line wages are 80%
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by eastie »

norris9 wrote:How much postage do you think has been paid to send everything you deliver on your round on an average day?

Specials.
Average: 2 a day.
Postal cost: £8 each.
Total: £16.

Customs Charge Cards.
Average: 2 a week.
Cost: £8 handling fee.
Total: £3.20 a day.

Tracked Parcels.
Average: 20 a day.
Average Cost: £4 per parcel.
Total: £80.

Stamped Letters/stamped small parcels:
Average: 50 a day.
Average Cost: £0.90.
Total: £45.

No idea on the costs of the below, but lots of these are delivered daily...
Chinese packets.
Franked Mail.
Magazines.
Door to Doors.

So I'd just take a wild guess and say the postage paid on all the items I deliver averages over £200 a day.

Just did this out of curiosity seeing as RM are losing money. I may be way out with all of this. Wondered if anyone has thought about this?
Jesus , can I have your round ?
Aardvark
Posts: 58
Joined: 12 Dec 2015, 19:24
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by Aardvark »

I tried to do this a few years ago and included door to doors, which are very lucrative for RM. ( Have a look here: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/ ... h-2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I reckoned I was delivering just shy of five hundred thousand pounds worth of stuff a year. (520 drops on the round)

The door to doors alone on some weeks more than covered the cost of my wages.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Average postal value of your round

Post by norris9 »

JKSmudge wrote:Not sure of these figures - do you say you deliver only 50 letters per day ?
We charge £8 for a customs card ? :hmmmm
no, not 50 letters a day, I wrote 50 stamped letters.

Most letters I deliver are franked and I do not know how much RM charge for these.

Magazines aren't stamped, junk mail isn't stamped, bank statements, bills aren't stamped.


What I have written out id probably undercutting things, but just at least trying to make the point I at least deliver 2.5x my daily wage. So whether that's profitable with van costs, manager costs, lorry driver costs, sick pay, etc - I do not know.

One thing i didn't take into consideration is Xmas which would probably be £500+ a day for 4 weeks. So are Royal Mail really losing so much money? is the loss of money simply down to buying in new tech?

And yes, there is an £8 handling fee that RM charge for each customs charge. Which on the face on it seems hefty and the profit made on these must be pretty decent.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

All those tracked parcels you quoted at £4 each, they won’t be anywhere near that. I bet they are doing deals with big customers for buttons to get their business. Same for Amazon specials etc.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by 97gaz »

norris9 wrote:How much postage do you think has been paid to send everything you deliver on your round on an average day?

Specials.
Average: 2 a day.
Postal cost: £8 each.
Total: £16.

Customs Charge Cards.
Average: 2 a week.
Cost: £8 handling fee.
Total: £3.20 a day.

Tracked Parcels.
Average: 20 a day.
Average Cost: £4 per parcel.
Total: £80.

Stamped Letters/stamped small parcels:
Average: 50 a day.
Average Cost: £0.90.
Total: £45.

No idea on the costs of the below, but lots of these are delivered daily...
Chinese packets.
Franked Mail.
Magazines.
Door to Doors.

So I'd just take a wild guess and say the postage paid on all the items I deliver averages over £200 a day.

Just did this out of curiosity seeing as RM are losing money. I may be way out with all of this. Wondered if anyone has thought about this?
It's very simplistic though. Every one of those items you deliver has been on multiple vehicles and through multiple hands. The profit from those items also has to pay for 140k wages. 20k vehicles, 1000s of properties. Pension contributions. Sick pay. Vehicle workshops and staff. The list is massive.The diesel bill alone must be huge. I doubt that delivery makes a penny profit. That's why you'll never see owner drivers until we stop delivering letters in the distant future. Don't forget also that we probably don't make enough profit to barely cover our costs on most DSA.
norris9 wrote:And yes, there is an £8 handling fee that RM charge for each customs charge. Which on the face on it seems hefty and the profit made on these must be pretty
I'm under the impression tthat we have to maintain the HWDC on behalf of the taxman and we have to pay up front for these surcharges. We regularly return some as refused or not picked up so we lose the money on those. They also go through the special delivery channel as well so more expense. I don't think we make much on these.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by Munchboii »

Try 30 specials a day that's what my office had in the peak in april not even joking all from amazon
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Munchboii wrote:Try 30 specials a day that's what my office had in the peak in april not even joking all from amazon
Rural office?
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Average postal value of your round

Post by wacko74 »

plymouth3 wrote:I’ve often valued my round at about £1,000 per day.
8-10 specials
600 letters
100 tracked
100 untracked packets
20-30 large packets

My daily wage of £80 Approx 8 % of revenue

Leaves £920 for collections transport distribution and management

And we still losing money!

Something wrong somewhere

For example in care home front line wages are 80%

Exactly,

Especially when you consider that us posties doing the 'final mile' is supposed to be most labour intensive and expensive part of the entire RM pipeline.. just where is all the other revenue going??