ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Jump Start

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by Seymour Buts »

A lady stoped me the other day asking if I'd mind giving her a jump start, I refused. Given we're not even allowed to change a tyre a told her we're not allowed. I felt quite guilty about it to be honest, but was I in the right? It was a situation I'd never really come across.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by ted_e_bear »

Seymour Buts wrote:A lady stoped me the other day asking if I'd mind giving her a jump start, I refused. Given we're not even allowed to change a tyre a told her we're not allowed. I felt quite guilty about it to be honest, but was I in the right? It was a situation I'd never really come across.
I'd feel guilty too but then again what if you damaged the vans electrics or worse what if whilst you were distracted with your head under the ladies bonnet some baddies jumped out and nicked your van or just opened the doors and helped themselves, yeah I know a bit far fetched but you never know.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by scoobydo79 »

You were right not to.Its a shame and You feel a jobsworth but You can’t take the risk
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

Tell her to join the AA. :nana
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by aiden01 »

30+YEARMAN wrote:Tell her to join the AA. :nana
Alcoholics anonymous :Very Happy
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by robbertwhitton »

Well it wasn’t that long ago we had the brief about looking out for vulnerable people on our rounds,seeing if they were ok etc etc,and of course anyone would help give a jump start,why wouldn’t you?,all be it we don’t carry jump leads,and you get a wonderful thankyou letter etc and Royal Mail milk the publicity etc,but if for whatever reason it goes wrong,then god forbid lookout!its against policy etc blah blah
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by Seymour Buts »

scoobydo79 wrote:You were right not to.Its a shame and You feel a jobsworth but You can’t take the risk
I did feel a jobsworth to be honest.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by cpsteve »

You cant do anything because if anything goes wrong then you will be held responsible same as doing any small job for someone while your working. Knock a pot of paint on someones carpet fix a pipe that leaks and floods the house their insurance can claim of of you if they tell them and you made a mistake.
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 173
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by panzer4 »

You did the correct thing if any thing went wrong,injury or damage,you would have been held responsible and remember hybrid cars and some with stop start system have special batteries can be damaged by jump start
ihatedogs
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 547
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
Gender: Male

Jump Start

Post by ihatedogs »

cpsteve wrote:You cant do anything because if anything goes wrong then you will be held responsible same as doing any small job for someone while your working. Knock a pot of paint on someones carpet fix a pipe that leaks and floods the house their insurance can claim of of you if they tell them and you made a mistake.
Whilst everything you say is correct, what a ridiculous world we live in when you can't give a helping hand.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Jump Start

Post by DB1100 »

:thumbup
ihatedogs wrote:
cpsteve wrote:You cant do anything because if anything goes wrong then you will be held responsible same as doing any small job for someone while your working. Knock a pot of paint on someones carpet fix a pipe that leaks and floods the house their insurance can claim of of you if they tell them and you made a mistake.
Whilst everything you say is correct, what a ridiculous world we live in when you can't give a helping hand.
For we were soldiers once,and young