ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

' Idling ' the only concern.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by Celgar »

I'm not a DOM so don't know the full story but I get the impression there is currently a big focus and pressure on reducing ' Idling '. This is in terms of data retrieved from Trimble on vans that have it fitted and not data from the PDAs. At one time our DO was nearly bottom of the list on Trimble data but we are apparently top in our area at the moment. Not all our vans have it fitted of course. Nevertheless I was asked the other day why my van was stationary for five minutes on one day. It was because a customer wanted to talk and I won't be rude to people. I haven't been questioned on this issue before so it makes me wonder if there is more pressure on this issue.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by robbertwhitton »

My god,what has this job become?I would be far too embarrassed to even ask such a question,but then we aren’t surprised are we that there is the culture out there alive and well that is summed up by just such a question,once again no doubt rounds failing up and down the country,and even more than is actually recorded under many a corrupt managed office,and this is there stance,priceless!,
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by twoloops »

Midweek I was sneakily asked by my lino while my partner was on annual leave, if he spends time taking with customers, I work my time & he's more than happy to stay out & finish off, I can leave him with an hours work & it can takes him three! Fair play it boosts his hours & I think he enjoys the chat & time on his own. I was then told by a mate, lino was asking about his partners working habits who also claims a bit, be careful out there.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by wacko74 »

twoloops wrote:Midweek I was sneakily asked by my lino while my partner was on annual leave, if he spends time taking with customers, I work my time & he's more than happy to stay out & finish off, I can leave him with an hours work & it can takes him three! Fair play it boosts his hours & I think he enjoys the chat & time on his own. I was then told by a mate, lino was asking about his partners working habits who also claims a bit, be careful out there.

It's not 'fair play' at all, it's piss takers like this that are costing the business money and putting everyone's jobs at risk.

If everyone just did the job properly, i.e. not come in early run and around OR drag it out and take the piss, then this job would be a lot easier for everyone and we'd all be under far less scrutiny.

As for idling, yes, our manage has specifically mentioned to not leave vans idling a couple of times this week, so there does appear to be a drive from above targeting this particular issue.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by Jpro747 »

They should be fitted in ALL vans not just some. It’s not fair that some get away with not having them fitted and can go about their day worry free, ragging the van around and leaving the engine running all day, while others are being watched all the time if you accidentally brake or accelerate too hard you get a talking to the next day.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by 97gaz »

Celgar wrote: Not all our vans have it fitted of course..
We had about half our vans fitted with it and about two years ago we were told all vans in the fleet had to have it and we had to organise days were a private contractor could come in and fit them all. The new vans have it fitted but don't have the module on the dash.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by cpsteve »

Just turn the engine of if you need to talk on the phone or with someone cutting costs this way can only be good, stop start should be on the vans to prevent this. As for talking and pottering about no problem but do not claim ot that is asking for trouble and taking the p.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

It's probably not physically possible but what about retrofitting all the vans with the system that turns the engine off when they're stationary? A good few cars have it, I believe it's called something like "Eco Mode"
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by eastie »

im always stopping on my round with the van with 3 busy train crossing gates on my round and not calculated into my walk time either
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 173
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by panzer4 »

Trimble monitors everything the driver does and the GPS plots your position ,be careful when in a speed zone because the information can be used to do you for speeding :cry
Cafcant
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 12:00
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by Cafcant »

We were told one of the reason RM are so concerned about idling is because of the amount of Rollaways we have had this year, you can’t leave it in gear if the engines running, makes sense to me.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by NewPostieUK »

Celgar wrote: It was because a customer wanted to talk and I won't be rude to people.
You don't consider it rude to keep the engine running while talking to someone?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by Seymour Buts »

Cafcant wrote:We were told one of the reason RM are so concerned about idling is because of the amount of Rollaways we have had this year, you can’t leave it in gear if the engines running, makes sense to me.
This. Plus, it's really not good for the enviroment to leave a van idling for 5 - 10 minutes for no reason. It's fair enough if you ask me, just switch off if you have a customer asking you about summat.
ihatedogs
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 547
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
Gender: Male

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by ihatedogs »

Quick question for delivery staff. If you take half your break whilst on delivery, presumably in the van, are you not allowed to have the engine running to keep yourselves warm in winter?
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

' Idling ' the only concern.

Post by glenfiddich »

ihatedogs wrote:Quick question for delivery staff. If you take half your break whilst on delivery, presumably in the van, are you not allowed to have the engine running to keep yourselves warm in winter?
I do and last week I spilt my drink on my trousers so turned engine on and used the heater to dry myself I haven't been pulled into office yet but some others in the same section have for speeding and idling