ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Afternoon shift

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by Jamiechelt »

A few moved to afternoons to help out but with some of the finish times being 20:30 its all gotten too much.

Can we go back to our original starting times ? Can we be refused? Due to lack of vans etc
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Jamiechelt wrote:A few moved to afternoons to help out but with some of the finish times being 20:30 its all gotten too much.

Can we go back to our original starting times ? Can we be refused? Due to lack of vans etc
They can't have everyone going back to their original start times for two reasons:

1) Social distancing within the DO
2) Avoiding having 2 in a van - not enough vans to make that possible
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by worktotime »

yes, as its your choice to change your regular days and hours of working , as it was voluntary in the agreement.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by Jamiechelt »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Jamiechelt wrote:A few moved to afternoons to help out but with some of the finish times being 20:30 its all gotten too much.

Can we go back to our original starting times ? Can we be refused? Due to lack of vans etc
They can't have everyone going back to their original start times for two reasons:

1) Social distancing within the DO
2) Avoiding having 2 in a van - not enough vans to make that possible
Hmmm so i could be denied? They told me no one wanted to so i offered to help .. but surely its optional
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by Jamiechelt »

worktotime wrote:yes, as its your choice to change your regular days and hours of working , as it was voluntary in the agreement.
Thats what i hoped but there is a second opinion amongst us
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Afternoon shift

Post by Cucumber »

There should have been a review of the different types of shift patterns some time ago. Even if just to look at rotating them. Things have gotten stuck in the mud now and people are set in their ways, unwilling to change from the easy little number they have at the moment. That's certainly the case in my DO.
I've read on here that there's plenty of people liking this new way of working - I doubt very much that they are the ones out until 8-9pm.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by Jamiechelt »

Cucumber wrote:There should have been a review of the different types of shift patterns some time ago. Even if just to look at rotating them. Things have gotten stuck in the mud now and people are set in their ways, unwilling to change from the easy little number they have at the moment. That's certainly the case in my DO.
I've read on here that there's plenty of people liking this new way of working - I doubt very much that they are the ones out until 8-9pm.
I'm fed up.of being out this late, get no life at all
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by hawkeye622 »

I'm with you on that jamiechelt, fed up is an understatement. I'm not long in the door and starting to think it's time I have a word with my line manager to tell him these hours just aren't suiting.
DALEDALE
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:33
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by DALEDALE »

Some of us are doing rotating day. So today I was in late and tomorrow I will be in early. Before that we were on 1 week lates and then following week early.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by blakeyboy »

hawkeye622 wrote:I'm with you on that jamiechelt, fed up is an understatement. I'm not long in the door and starting to think it's time I have a word with my line manager to tell him these hours just aren't suiting.
What time are you starting to be finishing so late? I go in for between 11.30/12 and am mostly finished around 5/5.30
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by hawkeye622 »

blakeyboy wrote:
hawkeye622 wrote:I'm with you on that jamiechelt, fed up is an understatement. I'm not long in the door and starting to think it's time I have a word with my line manager to tell him these hours just aren't suiting.
What time are you starting to be finishing so late? I go in for between 11.30/12 and am mostly finished around 5/5.30
I'm starting at 2 currently bud, very unpleasant. Will have to have another discussion with lino.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by blakeyboy »

hawkeye622 wrote:
blakeyboy wrote:
hawkeye622 wrote:I'm with you on that jamiechelt, fed up is an understatement. I'm not long in the door and starting to think it's time I have a word with my line manager to tell him these hours just aren't suiting.
What time are you starting to be finishing so late? I go in for between 11.30/12 and am mostly finished around 5/5.30
I'm starting at 2 currently bud, very unpleasant. Will have to have another discussion with lino.
Can you not go in any earlier? Surely there must be vans back before that?Do you have to prep all
Your frame?
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by Jamiechelt »

I'll tell them tomorrow and let everyone know. I'm 38 hr so 12 30 to 20 30 on the latest days.. the annoying thing is the morning guys come back early and go but i gotta work every minute
vinny
Posts: 17
Joined: 05 Oct 2009, 18:50
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by vinny »

Everything is purely voluntary, up to management to sort the rest out vans etc
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Afternoon shift

Post by xPandabear1992x »

Cucumber wrote:There should have been a review of the different types of shift patterns some time ago. Even if just to look at rotating them. Things have gotten stuck in the mud now and people are set in their ways, unwilling to change from the easy little number they have at the moment. That's certainly the case in my DO.
I've read on here that there's plenty of people liking this new way of working - I doubt very much that they are the ones out until 8-9pm.
I'm one of them who kind of likes this new way of working. There's no deadline timing for anything that you have to deliver, unless it's a COVID Special, take breaks whenever you want and not have to worry about a colleague having to pick up the kids etc.

It's swings and roundabouts I suppose.