ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
-
postman15
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 28 Jan 2017, 23:58
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Hi,
First of all I hope all of you are safe and well. I am working as a P/T and thinking to top up my income by working as a self employed courier driver. There are few vacancies in my area which i am interested in applying, Have access to a car and a small van which i thinking of using for this job.
1)Anyone here working/worked for a similar company?
2) How many hours worked each hour and was the pay ok? As long as i can earn around £700 per month that is fine by me. Also is this a realistic amount? I am ok to work in the evening and weekends especially whole sunday if possible. (Do not have that many commitments)
Thanks in advance
First of all I hope all of you are safe and well. I am working as a P/T and thinking to top up my income by working as a self employed courier driver. There are few vacancies in my area which i am interested in applying, Have access to a car and a small van which i thinking of using for this job.
1)Anyone here working/worked for a similar company?
2) How many hours worked each hour and was the pay ok? As long as i can earn around £700 per month that is fine by me. Also is this a realistic amount? I am ok to work in the evening and weekends especially whole sunday if possible. (Do not have that many commitments)
Thanks in advance
Last edited by postman15 on 08 Jun 2020, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Hermes Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
I'd check the t's and c's of your contract. I'd be shocked if ours didn't have a clause that says you can't work for a direct rival, most big companies include such clauses in contracts.
-
postman15
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 28 Jan 2017, 23:58
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Hermes Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Thanks for mentioning the contract. I honestly forgot about it. I dont think I have contract expect for the 1st contract i received from RM 6 years ago. Thanks again
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Hermes Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
It's in the RM Code of Business Standards not in your contract.
Employees must not work for, receive payment from or advertise any organisation which is in competition with Royal Mail Group, or which is engaged in activities which bring Royal Mail Group into disrepute, including any personal sponsorship
Only dead fish follow the current
-
postman15
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 28 Jan 2017, 23:58
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Thanks. I will check the T&C mentioned there.
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Firstly who’s gonna know. Secondly who’s gonna give a s**t...... I mean you doing a few hours as a courier is hardly going to make or break RM. Thirdly although it may well be in RM T&C I’m sure if challenged by someone it would nowadays be classed as unlawful. Restricting someone’s right to earn a living, particularly if as an employer you can’t provide them with a living wage due to only offering P/T contracts.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
The tax man will know plus if he has an accident with another parcel company van he will have to declare to his insurrer and RM.
Is best to find a job wich is not involving driving at all.
Is best to find a job wich is not involving driving at all.
-
postman15
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 28 Jan 2017, 23:58
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Thank you all for your responses. I seen in other posts that posties have mentioned that they know people working as delivery drivers for some other companies to earn some extra cash. Tax and whatever due will be paid. No illegal stuff done except for working for another company to earn some extra money. But i guess its against the RM policy.
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Janet Brum wrote:The tax man will know plus if he has an accident with another parcel company van he will have to declare to his insurrer and RM.
Is best to find a job wich is not involving driving at all.
Odd comment!!! I doubt the tax man is gonna give two hoots if he’s working for RM and another courier company. As long he’s paying tax and NI HMRC couldn’t care less where he works.
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
We have a young postie at our place for about a year now and he works 2 nights a week delivering pizzas which apparently is no problem
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
I doubt that you could argue that pizza delivery is a direct competitor of Royal Mail unless you know something about the future direction of the business....matthew68 wrote:We have a young postie at our place for about a year now and he works 2 nights a week delivering pizzas which apparently is no problem
Only dead fish follow the current
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Nothing would surprise me anymore!Woody Guthrie wrote:I doubt that you could argue that pizza delivery is a direct competitor of Royal Mail unless you know something about the future direction of the business....matthew68 wrote:We have a young postie at our place for about a year now and he works 2 nights a week delivering pizzas which apparently is no problem
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
I don`t know what games are you playing, I have nothing with you or your posts but you seem to keep attacking me/stalking my posts, I wonder why?GRS wrote:Janet Brum wrote:The tax man will know plus if he has an accident with another parcel company van he will have to declare to his insurrer and RM.
Is best to find a job wich is not involving driving at all.
Odd comment!!! I doubt the tax man is gonna give two hoots if he’s working for RM and another courier company. As long he’s paying tax and NI HMRC couldn’t care less where he works.
I`m going to put you on ignore to solve the issue, have fun.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
If you have two legitimate jobs HMRC will inform both employers.GRS wrote:Janet Brum wrote:The tax man will know plus if he has an accident with another parcel company van he will have to declare to his insurrer and RM.
Is best to find a job wich is not involving driving at all.
Odd comment!!! I doubt the tax man is gonna give two hoots if he’s working for RM and another courier company. As long he’s paying tax and NI HMRC couldn’t care less where he works.
They have to in order to calculate aggregate earnings so that you are paying the correct Tax and National Insurance.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
postman15
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 28 Jan 2017, 23:58
- Gender: Male
Working as a Self Employed Courier - Flexible timing while working for RM
Well I used to do another job for couple of years and paying the tax. 2nd job has the BR code. None of the employers ever asked me about other work. As per the previous post the HR dept might know about this but no one ever bothered to ask anything about a second job. Its just not for me..I knw few who are still working but no issues. Maybe as long as they pay the HMRC the proper tax should not be an issue. We all have famillies and need to feed them. 25 hours is not enough.. Anyways thanks again for all the responses,